Probably to have a different balance between the strings. The Fender pickups are pretty bright. To compensate this, the pickup is slanted. The side that pickups up the thin strings is closer to the bridge, where the strings vibrate less.

Actually, I do not know, but I don't care either. Fender neck pickups OWN the bridge pickups.
arent all the single coil pickups slanted on fenders?

Oh yeah, neck pickup owns

another dream
i was taking a shower
and i took my penis off to wash it
but i couldnt figure out how to put it back on
so it ran away- Superunkown
beatiful anecdote
Only single coils tend to be slanted, and even then, it's only Fender style singles. And it's only at the bridge for the reason stated above. Neither my Firebird or Les Paul have slanted pickups
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
imo it was the only way to get the pickups aligned to the strings when leo designed the guitar. he makes a bunch of parts and just slaps them all together
exactly leo fender was a scientist of the guitar
Quote by fil69
Hu r emos???

Quote by .Sidewinder.
could someone translate that last post for me please?
Quote by MastaBassist10
It's not an "IMO" type of question, he's asking for facts, solid reasoning, not your opinion.

**** off
I could explain it, but I'm too lazy, so i'l tell you this;it gives the pup the "twangy" sound that made it famous, it has to do with the pegs and adjusting them.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Basically its all for tonal purpose. Try picking ur string starting from the bridge and towards the neck. They are different as from the bridge you have more twangy sorta sound and towards the neck, the sound gets deeper and deeper (good for fast soloing IMO). Since it doesnt have humbucker installed, the slanted position is considered the best position for its single coil.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by onemanarmy9
Only single coils tend to be slanted, and even then, it's only Fender style singles. And it's only at the bridge for the reason stated above. Neither my Firebird or Les Paul have slanted pickups

billy joe (no flaming, he used to actually solo. Not that he is a ROCK GAWD LAWLZ) has a slanted humbucker on the fender he played before he went all POLITCLAWLZ.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
is this the same reason why kramers have slanted humbuckers? not because evh slanted his?