B.B
155 IQ
Im just looking up on the classic robert johnson rumour (the one where he

supposedly sold his soul to the devil).

The most widely known legend surrounding Robert Johnson says that he sold his soul to the Devil at the crossroads of U.S. Highway 61 and U.S. Highway 49 in Clarksdale, Mississippi in exchange for prowess in playing the guitar.//The story goes that if one would go to the crossroads a little before midnight and begin to play the guitar, a large black man would come up to the aspiring guitarist, retune his guitar and then hand it back. - Wikipedia

Has anyone ever heard any thing other than that to add to it?
Has anyone ever given it a try? (going to a crossroad at midnight that is)

Just Interested - would love to hear what other people think
jayzim17
Banned
1,081 IQ
There is a book called Take A Walk On The Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends and Curses by R. Gary Patterson. The title is pretty much selk explanitory and it covers pretty much everything about Robert Johnson, The Club, The Occult and Rock and Roll. Go pick it up you won't be disappointed.
jimmyjimjim
D? is for Danger?!
99 IQ
i've heard that if you do make a deal you die at age 27 or a premature death.
notable performers who died at age 27 include Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and(please forgive me) Kurt Cobain
.I.T.
233 IQ
actually going to do it tonight, I don't expect a thing to happen though.
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
I heard Clapton did it as well, but instead of diening at 27 he gave up his son's life.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Johnsonville
BLUES Boy
532 IQ
The BLack man's name is Scratch (Devil)
Quote by Frank Zappa
Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"
FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music post
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
That's an interesting story, though i dont really believe it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
Well, bring your guitars down to the crossroads and see, if you're so skeptical.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
.I.T.
233 IQ
Yep, most definately just got back in from playing "Superstition" in the middle of a crossroads at midnight. Nothing happened, some cars went by and honked. Thats about it.
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^^^Haha!

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
pistols
i no longer like chicken
1,403 IQ
I read on the internet about a theory that the actual site is "where the southern crosses the dawg" (or the yellow dog railway line)

I am also very into the legend. I'm planning to go to the U.S in a couple of years, and that will be one of the sites I will visit.

You can't be sure of the 61 / 49 myth though, because there are 2 points where those highways cross over.

And they also think it was likely that he did it (if he did) at the oldest cemetary in mississipi. It is said that you can sell your soul to the devil at the oldest cemetary in town.

According to a legend (a bit hazy on this, but you'll get it) the blues was invented when a man stayed at a railway station one night. He wanted to catch the late train, but he fell asleep. When he woke up, he heard a man playing a strange, deep music, using a glass bottle as a slide. The music was blues and the man was satan.

Theres also another bit that says that if you stay at a railway crossroads, when the 3:00 train passes, the devil will retune your guitar and take your soul.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Last edited by pistols at May 13, 2006,
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
480 IQ
Wasnt the guy at the station that heard the man playing W.C. Handy.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
tossom
UG's resident alcoholic
32 IQ
Quote by The Master Plan
I heard Clapton did it as well, but instead of diening at 27 he gave up his son's life.

That and his career died... "Wonderful tonight", eech
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
Quote by tossom
That and his career died... "Wonderful tonight", eech

I love that song. And why no mention of Brian Jones?
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
FunkedUp
221 IQ
Or, in fact, Robert Johnson, to state the obvious?

Bo Diddley's 'Story of Bo Diddley' is also about the myth.
Last edited by FunkedUp at May 14, 2006,
B.B
155 IQ
bo diddley

^^^ is that book or film?
FunkedUp
221 IQ
It's a song in which he sings about how he became famous
mrbreeze
230 IQ
"Theres also another bit that says that if you stay at a railway crossroads, when the 3:00 train passes, the devil will retune your guitar and take your soul.
^^^ a.m. or p.m.?^^

"Rent the movie crossroads. Really good guitar duel at the end with Steve Vai and Ry Cooder."
^^I thought it was Ralph Macchio^^
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer
1,432 IQ
Quote by mrbreeze
"Theres also another bit that says that if you stay at a railway crossroads, when the 3:00 train passes, the devil will retune your guitar and take your soul.
^^^ a.m. or p.m.?^^

"Rent the movie crossroads. Really good guitar duel at the end with Steve Vai and Ry Cooder."
^^I thought it was Ralph Macchio^^

Ry Cooder plays Eugene's part in it.
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
mrbreeze
230 IQ
Quote by fenderfreak101
Ry Cooder plays Eugene's part in it.

You mean Lightnin' Boy was really Ry Cooder? Who'd a thunk it? Just don't tell me that Lisa Kudrow/Phoebe is reall Susan Tedeschi - I'll be crushed
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer
1,432 IQ
Quote by mrbreeze
You mean Lightnin' Boy was really Ry Cooder? Who'd a thunk it? Just don't tell me that Lisa Kudrow/Phoebe is reall Susan Tedeschi - I'll be crushed

Actually, in the end of the Karate Kid, Mr. Miyagi teaches him how to shred a blues scale at a secluded buddhist temple.

Its in the director's cut, only available at the Wal-Mart by my house.
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer
1,432 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
I thought Hendrix was 28 when he died?

Date of Birth: November 27, 1942
Date of Death: September 18, 1970

he was 27, about 2 months from being 28.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Quote by ze monsta
Robert Johnson told Son House this, I believe:

He told him he went down to an interstate(I think) crossroads, to meet a big black man (the devil) and he was going to do him a deal.
Apparently, Johnson dropped to his knees as he heard "You're late, Robert Leroy Johnson", he replies "Maybe not". The man was apparently sitting by the side of the road in a chair.
The Devil tells Robert, that he's just another blues man, never gonna be nothin, and a dog in a ditch barks making the strings of his guitar vibrate or sommit, and R.Johnson like that sound, he know the dog is a hellhound, and tells him "I buy yo dog"
The devil says "The dog is not for sale Robert, but that sound, the sound of the Delta Blues can be yours, Mr Johnson."
The Devil would have possesion of Johnson's life, and when he died, how he died etc etc. and Johnson would be able to play the blues like no other.

"I got to have that sound, Devil-Man. That sound is mine. Where do I sign?"

The man says, "You ain't got a pencil, Robert Johnson. Your word is good enough. All you got to do is keep walking north. But you better be prepared. There are consequences."

"Prepared for what, Devil-man?"

"You know where you are, Robert Johnson? You are standing in the middle of the crossroads. At midnight, that full moon is right over your head. You take one more step, you'll be in Rosedale. You take this road to the east, you'll get back over to Highway 61 in Cleveland, or you can turn around and go back down to Beulah or just go to the west and sit up on the levee and look at the River. But if you take one more step in the direction you're headed, you going to be in Rosedale at midnight under this full October moon, and you are going to have the Blues like never known to this world. My left hand will be forever wrapped around your soul, and your music will possess all who hear it. That's what's going to happen. That's what you better be prepared for. Your soul will belong to me. This is not just any crossroads. I put this "X" here for a reason, and I been waiting on you."

Robert Johnson rolls his head around, his eyes upwards in their sockets to stare at the blinding light of the moon which has now completely filled tie pitch-black Delta night, piercing his right eye like a bolt of lightning as the midnight hour hits. He looks the big man squarely in the eyes and says, "Step back, Devil-Man, I'm going to Rosedale. I am the Blues."

The man moves to one side and says, "Go on, Robert Johnson. You the King of the Delta Blues. Go on home to Rosedale. And when you get on up in town, you get you a plate of hot tamales because you going to be needing something on your stomach where you're headed."

I posted that i n another thread, thats what I believe.
ECwomantoneman
The Blues-Rockin' Giant
157 IQ
That is awesome

I'd love to go to the US, to go to all these places that I know by name only...that'd be amazing
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man
2,962 IQ
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
^^I'm not sure if you're joking or not, lol.

I don't believe in God, Satan, etc. so I don't really care. It's a cool myth, but I don't believe it.

yea im atheist so i dont believe any truth is behind this story. ive read that it was a rumor started because he went went away as a bad guitar player and came back later on much better. so people said he must have sold his soul to be that good.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
thats an terrible thing to say.

+1
The idea that someone would give away the life of a child, their own child is pretty disturbed.
Dimebag22
☮ ♥ ♫
505 IQ
Quote by gopherthegreat
i dont believe that myth, but i think its really cool

Yeah, same here. I think that it is a really cool story, but fake. But it is pretty awesome.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
gopherthegreat
592 IQ
Quote by The Master Plan

keep that shit to yourself. thats sick.

Jack my swag
GD_GC
Master of the Blues Duels
2,005 IQ
This is one of those stories you really want to belive, but everything tells you that you shouldn't. I think its a freaking awesome story, whether or not he made it up.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
Quote by The Master Plan

that is pretty sick, plus it didn't really work did it?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks Clapton to be as good or influential or whatever as RJ, so no, I'd say it didn't.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86