Hi
I've been playing acoustic 4 quite sometime now, and i feel i play ok (not good but ok). But i always have problems whenever i try 2 play 1 of my friends electric. Seems all the hammer-ons pull-offs and evrything get muffled. And its especially noticeable wen using distortion. I dunno why this happens, i always thought electrics were easier 2 play. Like just 2day, i payed my friend's Sammick. He uses a noise gate with a high threshold, and it seemed most of the notes weren't sounding, but he doesn't hav that kinda problem. Anyway, i hav problems with no noise gates too. How can i improve in this department?
maybe get an electric guitar and practice with it eventually youll get better
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Well, you might be fretting too hard or not right behind the fret.
Try a lighter touch, electrics feel 'faster' than acoustics.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Yeah Im the opposite, Ive played electric for a while and have a good feel for it but jumping over to accoustic...just feels foreign to me. So certainly just something that takes getting accustomed to. Mabey the action/string guages on the electrics you played where alot different. I know Im pretty sensitive to changes like those.
how are you hammering on? [/QUOTE}
Well, like ppl normally do--fretting a note, playing it and hitting the other required fret with a finger.

Well, you might be fretting too hard or not right behind the fret.
Try a lighter touch, electrics feel 'faster' than acoustics.

U mean i hav 2 fret the note right behind the note? I normally fret it just in the middle of the fret. And about electrics feeling "faster" do u mean they feel sorta slippery? Coz thats what i feel most of the times when i play an electric.
Last edited by apakhira at May 12, 2006,
I have the same problem. I learned on acoustic and everytime I play my electric I have to lighten up on my hammer ons and stuff because I think my fingers got used to hammering on harder because the strings on my acoustic are further off the fretboard than my electric and the strings are a lot more flexible on my electric also. Haha, I think we both just dont know our own strength.
lol yeah, guess so. Thing is, u get 2 practice with ur own electric, and i get 2 make a fool outta myself in front of friends wen i try 2 play theirs. i'll see if changing my strings into electric wud help.