Hey does anybody know what the tuning is for the strings on a mandolin. sorry i didn't know what forum to put this in so i put it here.

thanks.
Doesnt it have 8 strings? If so, wouldnt it be like tuning the first "4" strings of a 12-string acoustic?
it has 8 and they are in gorups of 2 and i don't know how to tune a 12 string either.
From low to high: GGDDAAEE Each doubled string is the same pitch as the previous.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
gogitas correct thats the tunings but make sure the doubles are exact because it sounds wierd otherwise!
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
^ yeah, its basicly the opposite of a guitar. the high string is an E, then comes A, then D, then G. it goes high to low in the way the guitar goes from low to high. low to high, it looks to be tuned in fifths, or fourths in high to low (opposite of a guitar once again)
Thank you very much. you have been very useful in my quest to learn to play zee mandolin instrument.
some people tune it like the highest strings of a guitar *(i.e DDGGBBEE)* but thats just some people
<Han> I love Hitler
Why in the hell would you play a mandolin. I'm a complete douchebag!
Last edited by SilentDeftone at May 23, 2006,
Quote by F*ckTheDeftones
Why in the hell would you play a mandolin. Thats like wearing a kick me sign.

first of all mandolins own your soul
second of all dont post if your not going to say anything help full
and third of all to thread starter make sure all the double strings are perfect together
Quote by F*ckTheDeftones

You're an idiot.
Quote by F*ckTheDeftones

Mandolins own.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Mandos own. the tuning in fifths (same as violin) is very clever, as it allows you to play an entire major scale for about 2 and a half octaves, four notes per string, without changing hand position. for a great (and eclectic) mando player, look up david grisman. would you believe funk mandolin?
Last edited by Dan Steinman at May 25, 2006,