I've been playing for about 2 and a half years, and im pretty moderate, speed wise. So, I decided to work on building my speed, you know, using a metranome and stuff. I was wondering, is it better to play actual scales (major, minor, mixolydian etc), or chromatic scales?
Member #5 of the Official Conan O'Brien Club; PM Tom Trendy to join
diatonic scales

just noodle around with them and u will build speed slowly.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
whats a diatonic scale? it only uses 2 notes?
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Major, Minor
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
make a daily routine with loads of exercises in it and practice them slowly with a metronome
practice all scales on acoustic and not on electric to a metronome and work them up slowly from slow to fast.... and aternate between slow and fast--- all even notes, with three notes per string

learn to shred with 4 fingers not three
keep your thumb off the neck

learn all the modes of the major scale first in every position... thats your firts goal.

every once in awhile practice your chormatic to keep yourself from getting stuck in 1,2,4 and 1,3,4 fingeringss
Quote by silentdud
keep your thumb off the neck

Uh...what?
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
i thought its that you shouldn't use your thumb to apply pressure? your thumb is there just as a guide.
you really shouldn't bring your thumb over the neck even if you are applying no pressure. You shouldnt play new music with 70's shred techniques. It was a new idea back then when people were deviant enough to shred... there are newer and better ways to shred...

michael angelo agrees with me on this he talked about it in one of his video i think.
Quote by silentdud
you really shouldn't bring your thumb over the neck even if you are applying no pressure. You shouldnt play new music with 70's shred techniques. It was a new idea back then when people were deviant enough to shred... there are newer and better ways to shred...

michael angelo agrees with me on this he talked about it in one of his video i think.

Do you mean over the neck of the guitar, or on the neck of the guitar?

-DS
^I'm guessing (hoping?) he means over.

Silentdud, you make it sound like the thumb shouldn't touch any part of the neck (the back is part of the neck too, ya know ).
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Explain this no-thumb thing again???
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
i think the correct form is to just have the thumb directly behind the neck, like behind the g string. your thumb should only edge over the neck when doing a bell or vibrato.