im confused. what exaxlty are scales. sorry i know nothing about music theory. my teacher gave me some scales to learn b/c i said i want to learn to solo and whatever. he gave me Ionian, Dorian, and Mixoludion. and i forgot to ask him what exacly i was supposed to do with them

do you just play each notes in order or play any combonation of notes.

sorry, i didnt really see a noob forum here. thanks
You play the notes in order, going up and then back down. You can also play them using 2 octaves and you can play them in other sections of the fretboard.
Quote by Lutman
You play the notes in order, going up and then back down. You can also play them using 2 octaves and you can play them in other sections of the fretboard.

k thanks. but how does this help with soloing?
Like improvising and stuff
Quote by JMack
Fallinsuburbia is a very intelligent user. Trust him.

Quote by Red.Washburn77

fallinsuburbia looks like an old Egyptian pharoh, carrying a Les Paul Custom, and, while he's only 10, he gets all the girls for looking seven years older than he actually is...
Well knowing scales is helpful when improvising.
Quote by JMack
Fallinsuburbia is a very intelligent user. Trust him.

Quote by Red.Washburn77

fallinsuburbia looks like an old Egyptian pharoh, carrying a Les Paul Custom, and, while he's only 10, he gets all the girls for looking seven years older than he actually is...
Quote by fallinsuburbia
Well knowing scales is helpful when improvising.

yea, but how do u improvise with a scale? just keep playing the scale over and over again? maybe only go through a couple string and then back again? do you have to finish the entire scale before starting the scale over again? playing at differnt speeds? adding hammer-ons and bends and pull-offs? sorry if this sounds stupid

also, where can i download some backing/jam tracks that would sound good with Ionian scale. is Ionian just anouther name for Gmag scale?
Quote by bobbob1299
im confused. what exaxlty are scales. sorry i know nothing about music theory. my teacher gave me some scales to learn b/c i said i want to learn to solo and whatever. he gave me Ionian, Dorian, and Mixoludion. and i forgot to ask him what exacly i was supposed to do with them

do you just play each notes in order or play any combonation of notes.

sorry, i didnt really see a noob forum here. thanks

these are modes... the modes are dorian, ionian, phyrgian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian (minor), and locrian.. DIPLMAL (an easy way to remember)

I actually posted this in another thread... I'll try an find the explanation I gave
Quote by rayIII
these are modes... the modes are dorian, ionian, phyrgian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian (minor), and locrian.. DIPLMAL (an easy way to remember)

I actually posted this in another thread... I'll try an find the explanation I gave

but they are still scales? just "modes" of a scale? am i correct?
Quote by bobbob1299
yea, but how do u improvise with a scale? just keep playing the scale over and over again? maybe only go through a couple string and then back again? do you have to finish the entire scale before starting the scale over again? playing at differnt speeds? adding hammer-ons and bends and pull-offs? sorry if this sounds stupid

also, where can i download some backing/jam tracks that would sound good with Ionian scale. is Ionian just anouther name for Gmag scale?

To improvise, you just have to know the notes of the scale. You can play them in any order, any rhythm. That's where your creativity comes in. Making stuff up on the spot is as much of a skill as playing the notes in order. Some people are better than others.

And, yeah, the Ionian mode is the same as a major scale (not necessarily G)
Quote by rayIII
well, my guitar teacher broke down modes for me like this:

DIPLMAL
(dorian AKA major) (ionian) (phyrgian) (lydian) (mixolydian) (aeolian AKA minor) (locrian)

and it goes like this (remember DIPLMAL)

D  W W H W W W H
I W H W W W H W
P H W W W H W W
L W W W H W W H
[B]M W W H W W H W[/B]
A W H W W H W W
L H W W H W W W
D W W H W W W H

so for the song Cocaine (E Mixolydian), you can use these notes (not gonna tab ALL of them out, just use this as an example)

[B]E[/B] (I) F# G# A [B]B[/B] (IV) [B]C#[/B] (V) D E

e|---------------------------------------------------7-9-10-12-|
B|-----------------------------------------7-9-10-12-----------|
G|-------------------------------7-9-11-13---------------------|
D|---------------------7-9-11-12-------------------------------|
A|-----------7-9-11-12-----------------------------------------|
E|-7-9-10-12---------------------------------------------------|

* = btw, I, IV and V in a scale are most commonly used in the songs main riff

ouch, that was too much thinking (for me ) so lemme know if I got any of that wrong but I'm pretty sure it's right

there it goes

then sooner or later, you'll wanna learn about relatives... most common one is Am and C.. relatives are two modes / scales with the same notes:

A minor

A B C D E F G A

C

C D E F G A B C
Quote by spoonfulofshred
To improvise, you just have to know the notes of the scale. You can play them in any order, any rhythm. That's where your creativity comes in. Making stuff up on the spot is as much of a skill as playing the notes in order. Some people are better than others.

And, yeah, the Ionian mode is the same as a major scale (not necessarily G)

play the notes in ANY order? but someone else just said that you play all the notes in order
you've lost me. sorry, i dont know anyhting about theory.

whats the
W W H W W H W
mean?
Quote by spoonfulofshred
^Not if you're improvising. That's the whole point is to make it up as you go along.

oh ok