Alright boys, I'm contemplating digging into my les paul. Its a 1980 LP standard, its a players guitar, its got dings, chips, pits, knicks, knacks, and now a whole load of electrical problems (needs new pots and switch) BUT.. Thats not what I'm here about. I'm thinking I want to sand/plane the neck down, fix the dings/chips that I have in it, and maybe even put a new profile on it.

Now, thats a tall order... Can anyone help me with some ideas?

I'm not concerned about refinishing it, I might refinish the whole guitar in fact. Right now its black and cream. I don't mind it one bit, but I could go for something alittle bit more over the edge (metallic silver? arctic white?) but yeah, finish isnt the concern.

I'm wondering how much you guys would estimate I could take off the neck before it becomes too weak. Its mahogany, which isnt the strongest wood known to man. I don't intend on dropping it, punting it, or throwing it from a third floor balcony. I'm careful with my instruments.

Also, if I were to reshape the neck, what would be the easiest way to do so? I think I want to put a bit of a flat on the back of it, would that be better with a sanding block or a wood rasp? Maybe a small planer of some kind?

I'm not looking for an ibanez thin neck, I don't need that much, I rather like my strat's neck, which is slightly thinner and not as wide. I'm just tossing the idea around at the moment, nothing serious, but I'd like to fix the paint up and if I'm going to do that I might as well do the neck, too, right?
dude, at the risk of me sounding like an ass, i'll say this:

sell it

then get anyother les paul
che is right.

Don't do that to a Les Paul. There's someone out there that could fix is up and love it forever without destroying the neck. The fat neck is half of why the LP is so great.
Plus if you DO do that to your LP, i'll hunt you down and slowly hack your testicles off with a rusty butter knife, stick pins under your fingernails, and give you paper cuts on your eyeballs.

Just kidding.

But not really.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
For slimming the neck..you really need something constant, Id say carve out a block to the exact radius you want, than strap some sandpaper to it (of course, youd have to make the radius bigger on the block to account for the bulk of the sandpaper)
An LP isn't THAT special.

Uh, sand? I dunno
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Don't sand too far, or you won't have enough neck to support the strings.
Well.. Its just a Les Paul. I bought it used, It was a closet/bedroom guitar originally, then some punk kid had it and beat the **** out of it, and now its in my possession. I take care of it, It hasnt got any new ****ups or dings.

I don't understand what selling it would do. Its not WORTH the price of a brand new les paul. It doesn't have a big fat neck, it has one of the thinner necks. what do they call it? Slim 60s tapered? I don't know, but its got the thin neck.. I just want it thinner. I could only get maybe $1000 out of it, its a great instrument, better built than any LP i've played under almost three grand.

I'm fully capable of 'fixing' the guitar and 'loving it forever' however I was just going to ask the general population what they thought would be best suited for my needs... and apparantly now I'm taking slag about being incompotent.

Well radiusing block was an idea I was kicking around, with the whole sandpaper bit. It seems like the best right now, of course. Anyone have a guide to making radiusing blocks? lol
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well.. Its just a Les Paul. I bought it used, It was a closet/bedroom guitar originally, then some punk kid had it and beat the **** out of it, and now its in my possession. I take care of it, It hasnt got any new ****ups or dings.

I don't understand what selling it would do. Its not WORTH the price of a brand new les paul. It doesn't have a big fat neck, it has one of the thinner necks. what do they call it? Slim 60s tapered? I don't know, but its got the thin neck.. I just want it thinner. I could only get maybe $1000 out of it, its a great instrument, better built than any LP i've played under almost three grand.

I'm fully capable of 'fixing' the guitar and 'loving it forever' however I was just going to ask the general population what they thought would be best suited for my needs... and apparantly now I'm taking slag about being incompotent.

Well radiusing block was an idea I was kicking around, with the whole sandpaper bit. It seems like the best right now, of course. Anyone have a guide to making radiusing blocks? lol

Youll need a large sheet of paper, an idea of what radius your looking for, and a compass\circle-drawing device ( I imagine youd have to have one pretty LARGE circle to amount for a thin neck radius)

Pretty much, draw out the circle with the radius your looking for, measure a peice of it from the bottom of the paper (a straight edge, will you?), cut the width of the neck.....and thats your template!

Getting the sandpaper on...thats your problem
^Cool link, you'll need a pretty extreme curve though...
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Cool link, you'll need a pretty extreme curve though...

Yeah, thats what iw as thinking, my circle idea most-likely wouldnt work out too well
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well maybe I should copy the wizard profile from my ibanez and use it, but making sure to keep it thicker.

Thats an idea, decided on a way to go about it yet?
Keep in mind mahogany isn't as strong as maple. You can't make it too thin.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Keep in mind mahogany isn't as strong as maple. You can't make it too thin.

Yeah I'm aware. I said I wanted the feel/contour of the wizard neck, not the thickness. They give me hand cramps if I play too long on them I'm much more comfortable on a strat sized neck.
^
Hey man, I say if you wanna do it, go for it. If people tell you you're an idiot, forget 'em, it's your project, and when it turns out great you can laugh .

I'd go for it. Guitar's were meant to be abused .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
you should probably keep in mind that there's a metal rod running through the neck. the only place you're really going to have to worry about tension a great deal is where the headstock joins the neck, as that's a weak spot in all angled-headstock guitars. i'd recommend you just sand it until it feels comfortable, taking care to taper the sanding at the headstock joint so as to maintain as much structural integrity as possible.

as for all of this "watch out mahogany might break" business, keep in mind that there are ESPs available with thin mahogany necks and no problems. take out that truss rod, and there might be a point, but yeah.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
gibson sucks eh? I'd still bet my gear that theyre better than those guitars you make...

instead of making useless posts bashing XXX brand, why not go play your guitar, or do something positive.

now to the poster. Im very intertested in this topic as i love my agile al-3000 but wish it had a bit of a thinner neck. also i know that agile (now) has a thinner neck model, 21mm at 12th fret, and 17mm at 1st fret. if thats thing enough consider copying them.

also keep in mind that most necks taper, and that it could be pretty hard getting decent feel across the entire neck.
Are you planning on slimming the thickness as well as the fret-to-fret width? or just the former?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
About the mahogany being weak thing......the neck on my brian moore guitar, is the thinnest neck ive ever played, and its mahogany\rosewood\mahogany. I dont forsee a problem
Quote by la bamba
Are you planning on slimming the thickness as well as the fret-to-fret width? or just the former?

Just the former, I dont have a problem with the fretboard really.

The neck tapering is a really good point, though. I guess I could take some kind of file or block to work it down to a flat, then use sandpaper to take the the size down.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
yeah sand it down

those fat necks are just another example of how much gibson sucks

I think those fat necks are awesome. It's all a matter of personal preference. Just another example of how stupid your post was. Even if Gibson does suck, Gibson still pwns your scrawny little maggot infected rectum-face. If you built a guitar, it would look like this:

(Sorry Fast Bear)

Yeah, so shutup, and say something worthwhile...

And for Genocide, I'd say the best thing would be to get a bunch of different radius blocks, and then go through with it. Choose like 3 places on your model neck, and then measure out the exact curvature and make a block type thing from it. Then you can try to get a similar radiusing.