Im in a kind of interesting situation right now. Currently I am bandless. Im not particularly happy about the situation. My original plan for the summer was to work on my writing and solo stuff, and then try to hook up with some people at school when i get back. However, an oppurtunity to join a band has presented itself. It would basically mean I would join a somewhat established band (theyve been around for about 6 mos, and have a bit of a following) to play rhythm guitar. My only issue is that i dont particularly like the band, and the only reason the oppurtunity presented itself is because i went to highschool with the lead singer.

The way I see it, I could either pass on this chance and keep working on my own stuff, or join this band and work my way from there, perhaps using it as a platform to hook up with other bands or launch my solo stuff. What do you people think, I would basically be using this band to further my own agenda. I know that it would not be something i would do for the long haul.
Quote by Macank
^^ strat? i want to get a stratocaster sound though!!

Fender Classic 60's Strat
Yamaha AES 720 (On the way!!!)
Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
I once joined a band I didn't like. I managed to tolerate it for a few months, but I left due to overwhelmingly bad songwriting that everyone but me seemed to like.
Just a tidbit from someone who's been there.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Well, maybe you can just be friends with the band, hang out with em, or whatever. Maybe tell them you'll fill in for a temp slot while you put yourself out on the market.

Avoid joining bands that you dont particularly like, though, it never works out well.
Yeah, imean, artisitcally were totally different. I do some classic/modern rock covers, but most of my original material is ambient/experemental, whereas they are a straight up rock act. I dont know if i would even be comfortable in that situation. Should i maybe test the waters first?
Quote by Macank
^^ strat? i want to get a stratocaster sound though!!

Fender Classic 60's Strat
Yamaha AES 720 (On the way!!!)
Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
It won't hurt to at least audition and see what happens. A key rule to musicianship is always keep yourself busy and play with as many people as possible. What would happen if you don't get a band together in fall? back to the bedroom. Someone once told me "If you're a musician and not busy during the summer, you aren't worth anything"
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
It won't hurt to try.

I've been bandless and wanting one for about 2 years. I've changed roles from singer to drummer to guitarist and still haven't had a proper practice with a band that had any direction. I've been writing lyrics for about 2 years and am pretty good at that part of it. I'm currently looking more into solos and improvisation ( been playing guitar about 6 months ) but there's no-one around with the same views as me when it comes to music.

You'll join this band, could end up not liking it and leaving - you'll still have gained something from the experience.