i was reading total guitar magazine and they listed the top 100 solos of all time.it was an okay list. top three were paradise city,eruption and stariway to heaven.again, not a bad list. bat country was really high on the list though post comments
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Comfortably Numb would have to be my all time favourite guitar solo.......I think it should be #1, it widely is rated as the greatest guitar solo of all time but then again its all about opinions huh.
WTF is with the spoiler warning? This a 'top ### whatever' list, not a movie discussion
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
that's a ****ing sucky list

just like other list

bat country's solo < me playing guitar with my ass

paradise city doesnt derserve to be in top 200, even though i'm a big Guns N Roses fan
My Spanish Hearts
Quote by rx_eb

paradise city doesnt derserve to be in top 200, even though i'm a big Guns N Roses fan

I agree.....
Sick of all the generic choices - including Comfortably Numb. There's tons of great solos out there that never get recognition.

Still, on the other hand, solos like Eruption, Stairway, and yes - even Bat Country - are often disregarded simply because they're so popular, and people tend to forget that they really are good solos.

Just my opinion.
its hard to rate solos, cause there are mainly two types in my opinion. Ones that are generally just technique and mayeb shreding and then there are ones that show the guitarists feel and uniqueness. My opinion is that comfotably numb should be number 1 with some led zep up there.
i think the bat country solos good whats wrong with liking the solo to a popular song if it is actually good?
I thought the worst thing was Enter Sandman at 5 or whatever. I'm a big Metallica fan but that solo's not Kirks best by a mile. Also i do think they tried to go against the standard type list in some ways as there were some really strange choices in there such as solos by oasis and stuff, and paradise city is pretty underrated if you ask me although not the third best of all time. Also i agree with the person that said that just because a solo is popular people think it sucks and is overrated. That is not the case in my opinion.
if they were to have a GN'R solo in the top 5, it shoulda been Mr Brownstone or November Rain cos they're the best slash solos imo. Enter Sandman's solo is really boring as well, it just sounds like any other solo from the Black album. They should've put Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning in instead.

Stairway and Eruption were predictable, exactly the same as the top 2 in Guitar World a few years back.
A lack of the Heartbreaker solo was a bit weird as well. the first half is sloppy but i always get shivers from the build up in the second half.
where is since ive been loving you and heartbreaker? man this list sucks in every possible way
Originally posted by josephde
i feel like an idiot, so plz don't flame me, but is hendrix still alive?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

Paradise city? gotta be kidding me, atleast put a decent slash solo like sweet child of mine (best solo ive heard, but thats all to do with taste). sucky list, its like a list that puts tupac or biggie smalls as the greatest rapper of all time...
Quote by rx_eb

just like other list

bat country's solo < me playing guitar with my ass

Yes it does...
I bet you guys haven't heard the paradise city solo?...
i hate the solo from Paradise City, its just terrible. Slash is a great guitarist, but he has his limits, and on that solo he tries to play better than he can, and it just sounds horrible
Who gives a sh*t what Total Guitar thinks is the greatest solo?
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
Any list of "The Greatest" or "The top" anything will be absolute ****e.

Screw what anyone else says, you know what you enjoy and respect. Anyone who thinks they can list what EVERYONE enjoys and respects is a moron.

So ignore all these dumb lists and just be comfortable in your selection of music.

Because if you KNOW something is good then it IS. Regardless of what anyone says. If everyone was just comfortable with what they enjoyed and comfortable that others enjoyed something else, we could probably eliminate 99% of the arguements on this board and anywhere else in life. But alas, there are always those over-opinionated simpletons who MUST throw in their 2 cents.

And for the love of all things holy stop posting pointless threads like this that just serve to aggrivate people here.

That's my rant. Peace out and keep rocking.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
i didnt even really think paradise city could be considered a solo, i guess thats how much it sucks, it just sounds like slash playing some crappy chords slightly faster than usual
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
I thought the worst thing was Enter Sandman at 5 or whatever. I'm a big Metallica fan but that solo's not Kirks best by a mile. Also i do think they tried to go against the standard type list in some ways as there were some really strange choices in there such as solos by oasis and stuff, and paradise city is pretty underrated if you ask me although not the third best of all time. Also i agree with the person that said that just because a solo is popular people think it sucks and is overrated. That is not the case in my opinion.

kirk didnt do that solo, james did
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

i love the paradise city song, but i don't like the solo. how can it be in the top 100? here are my favorite
1. Sweet Child O' Mine the coolest solo!
2. Stairway to Heaven Second fav!
3. Voodoo Child
4. Hells Bells
5. Back in Black
much more
Hey hey, my my, ROCK music will NEVER die.