Hi all, Well i was Playing around with my digitech rp100, I noticed i could plug headphones into it and not use an amp at all. So i gave it a try and the sound quality/tone was totally awesome compared to what it sounds like through my old peavy 130watt special amp, It would be so cool for recording, But when im running it through my amp it either sounds to thick or thin and extreamly muffled, Its a little hard to describe for me since i dont know all the technical jargon on amps and pedals, But i know it doesnt sound good. So next i tried to bypass all the tone controls on my amp by plugging effects pedal to the back of the amp. I could not tell any noticable diffrence.

So my question is how can i get this awesome sound i get when useing headphones to work on an amp. What would i need to get? is the amp just not good? I have been looking for this kind of sound through an amp forever..And i found it with headphones..I would seriously be in guitar heaven if i could get it through an amp. Cause it seems to really get me going and playing better then a cheesy sound i get with my amp now. thanks
urrgh
Plug your guitar into the amp, no effects or anything. If it sounds good, then the problem is with the output of the effects pedal. perhaps you have speaker modeling on, and your Peavey just doesn't like it. I've had experience with the BP/RP line from Digitech. Most people think they sound great for live, but through headphones, or recording direct, the tone is all gone. Odd that you're the total opposite.
Ok i tried it..Well i plugged the guitar straight to the amp, I cant really judge the amp to well..It has a very light distortion..the amp does some ok sounding clean stuff..It has very muffled muddy type sound..sounds great for tunes without distortion somewhat, And old light distortion rock. I cant really judge because i have not had a better amp, Just a little 15watt off brand type deal.

If you take a look at this picture you can see all the knobs that are on my amp. http://www.digitech.si/~jkekic/bolha/peavey/peavey.jpg Maybe you can get an idea from that. I have the guitar plugged into the low gain input..all eq knobs on 5..I have a couple of knobs pulled out like presence and pre gain..it takes away a little of the real thick sound..not much though. Oh yea..and the effects sound really really thick when im doing some type of metal distortion..And they sound so digital..

Here is a link to see what it sounds like running through my amp..If you listen to my attempt at confortably numb lol..and the one called "sustain problem" those will give you a good idea about it. And the one by metallica multitrack i did will give you an idea of the clean sound through the rp100

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=401286
urrgh
Last edited by mgs251 at May 13, 2006,
Well, they sound digital because you're easing a cheap digital processor. No offense, they get the job done, you just need to tweak the settings, because the presets are basically just guides for what you can do with it. I listened to the 4 audio samples you had up. They sounded fine to me. If you're playing through the "lead channel," try playing through the "norm channel." I see you have a "mid shift" on your amp. if you have the manual, check which setting is doing what to your mids. That might be part of your problem. If you're playing a guitar with active pickups or "hot" humbuckers, try plugging into the "High Gain" input. More presence will make the guitar effects sound less "thick" or "digital." You might also have chorus on. I noticed you did in the Metallica One Multitrack on the clean part. I'm not 100% of what you mean by "thick," but chorus definitely adds thickness. Your sustain problem is a noise gate issue. Pull out the manual for the RP100 and turn the noise gate down a little on whatever settings are cutting off. But, as far as I can tell, the sound that's coming out of your amp isn't bad. You most likely just need to notch your mids differently and possibly tweak the settings on the RP100. Other than that, I really can't offer much more advice. I hope some of this helps.
Last edited by bigrd15132 at May 13, 2006,