if i turn the bass all the way down and play my bass using a guitar amp, is there any chance that I might mess up the amp?
Yeah, If i were u, I wouldn't even try it...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Grimes - Everyones Favourite Northerner!
Even if it doesn't blow up your amp, it's going to sound like ****. Save up a few hundred dollars and buy a decent bass amp. If you can't do that you need to work harder.
This thread is started all the time... This and the RAH RAH RAH PICK OR FINGERS thread... I have no idea why people start them in the first place but I'm pretty sure it just doesnt work, its said that it blows your speaker or something along the lines of that.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
No, it will NOT damage your amp, unless you plan on gigging or practicing at that kind of volume.

Seriously, people hear that guitar amps will blow if you even pluck one note on a bass, it is just NOT TRUE. When i first played bass, i had a fender 15g frontman amp that i used for near enough a year before i got a bass amp. Unless i turned the volume up to stupid levels (that i didn't need anyway) it worked fine, with no distortion, and the amp is still perfectly fine. If you have an Active Bass, you may have a bit more trouble, but you can very safely get away with a guitar amp as practice, and you don't need to turn it down that far. Just play it, and if you hear it starting to clip, turn it down a bit. Don't panic or anything.

Also, from some spur-of the moment jams, i have used a Laney Hardcore max? don't know the name, which is an absolute stareter guitar amp. I turned it up all the way, and it was distorting, but it sounded good- and it didn't damage the speaker.

Bottom line is if you are careful, you can use them. But it would be a good investment to get a bass amp at some point.

Alex

edit:

Quote by Inahrima
UG's search feature sucks

yes...yes it does.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Seeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaarch.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
It's not going to do your speaker any good - it won't have been designed with low frequencies in mind. Guitar through a bass amp is fine though (and sounds kickass)
I am anxious for making a real FAQ.

Unless its a stick, it will most likely overtime at the very least damage your speakers. If it is very small, like a practice amp, it will most likely at some point... blow the speakers. Guitar amps have open backs while bass amps have closed backs, and its designed like that for a reason. It will do more than sound ****ty becuase a lack of low end - it will risk blowing the amp.

If you turn it all the way down, you'll be OK for a while. Prolonged use will still damage it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Inahrima
^ my small practice guitar amp has a closed back

...and my Laney bass amp has holes in the back
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
So did my GK Backline 115 and my friends Marshall Guitar amp has no holes.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
My bass amp has a closed back but I sometimes take the back off to get a slightly different sound. I also play guitar through it with an overdrive and a fuzz pedal and it sounds great - I love having loads of low end when playing guitar.
Prolonged use of a bass thru a regular guitar amp will **** up the speaker. the only difference between a guitar amp and a bass amp IS the speaker. but you CAN use a guitar with a bass amp.
Quote by Baby Duck
Prolonged use of a bass thru a regular guitar amp will **** up the speaker. the only difference between a guitar amp and a bass amp IS the speaker. but you CAN use a guitar with a bass amp.

You an Eagles of Death Metal fan?
I've used a guitar amp for my bass for practice for 6yrs. Yes it distorts the sound a little, but it'll be fine unless you crank it all the way up.

And I used a bass stack for gigging, so don't flame.
Quote by Baby Duck

Like Adam Jones does.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
so if the only difference is the speaker...umm okay, what you're sayin is the heads are the same? so if i took the line out of the practice amp and plugged it into a bass cab, it'l be good to go?
Your all wrong... Guitar amps, yes, have a different speaker, but the wiring and circuitry is different alltogether. Capacitors are different, as is the preamp. I've seen people take Marshall heads and convert them to Bass amps by changing the capacitors, then playing it through an Ampeg 8x10, but that took about a week of wiring schematics and new parts.

Sorry, there just is no cheap alternative to buying a bass amp.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by bass_newb37
a guitar amp is a "guitar" amp for a reason... it isnt designed to handle low-frequencies

Haha he certainly has a point there... and bass amps are "bass" amps for a reason aswell
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Inahrima
so if the only difference is the speaker...umm okay, what you're sayin is the heads are the same? so if i took the line out of the practice amp and plugged it into a bass cab, it'l be good to go?

different components. would work, but sound like crap.

im actually playing through a Sunn St15 or something, with a small fender speaker. its quite nice for quiet practicing
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.