Page 1 of 2
Alright guys, I'm back. I have returned to the EG Forum to find my future seven string.

I'll be scouring the internet and the local shops, trying to find a 7 string under $500 for top quality.

Now, I know you UGers love Ibanez. I don't like basswood. I'm sorry, I know. However, I'm really REALLY effing desperate to get a quality guitar for a low price, and Ibanez make some killer looking and playing guitars. Now, I was wondering which 7 strings (new and old) are decent.

I'm looking at any manufacturer with a super-strat or similar shape. I don't want Vs, no warlocks, nothing like that please. Just super-strat shapes (schecters are good, too. the elites or something are great.)

Preferrences
H/x/H or H/x/S, no middle singles
A smooth neck joint, either Neck Thru, Set Neck, AANJ or similar (I can live without)
String-Thru (Doesn't have to have a tremelo.. Though if it does, make sure its decent)
Shape: Double Cutaway. Superstrat or similar.
24 Frets, larger like a XJ or something.
Flat or Carved top, doesn't matter. I'd like a decent looking guitar, no fancy designs.. just nice paint or quilt (not flame) top.

Pickups- If possible, quality pickups If I'm paying on the higher end of things I damnw ell want liveable pickups until I can get a set custom wound for my needs.

Now, I'd like to stay away from Basswood or other guitars with cheap tonewood, however if a deal would come up on an ibanez with a case or something that I couldn't pass up, I'll jump on it. Ibanez Fanboys here is your time to shine, give me the dirt on nice ibanez RG 7 strings, not just the basic models that are out, but stuff like the 7420, the 7620 etc. I've seen a few on ebay and I'm genuinely interested if I can get a good deal (anyone that can give me some prices/price range/ballpark figures would be of great assistance)

Thanks.
schector damien 7?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I don't know how much the LTD Stef Carpenter models are, but they're pretty popular, seven string superstrats.
Quote by joel_grieve
schector damien 7?

Basswood, right? How much is the Hellrasier?
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
yeah. it's like 800 aus dollars. i think you'd find that the extra amount of low end being produced by the low b would even out the tone of the bass wood quite nicely.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
yeah. it's like 800 aus dollars. i think you'd find that the extra amount of low end being produced by the low b would even out the tone of the bass wood quite nicely.

Not to get off topic, but, dude.

I'm probably going x2n/jazz or x2n/full shred combo, i went into my store and got some advice today.

and to threadstarter

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=513080

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=513033
Quote by Supersonic^
all that for $500? good luck, dude.

Well, how so? I'm asking for a 24 fret super strat without a tremelo with a pickup configuration lacking a middle pickup. That isnt a very tall order

If I could pick up a 007 Elite with a quilt top for like $400 would it be a decent deal?
Hm...check out some Washburns. I think they have 7-strings. As far as I know they're Mahogany too. At least the 6-strings are.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^Agreed x 10. I'm looking at getting one of the higher end ones in the Idol series. They make some great guitars!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I know Ibanez used to have a 7-string S-series guitar that was Mahogany, but I think it was only 22 frets, Ken from Unearth uses it, it's a sick guitar, it has an Edge too if I'm not mistaken, if you can find one it's definately worth the money.
Quote by Gman400
my instrincts tell me big boobs=more estrogen=more bitc* or big boobs=more silicone=less woman=more slut=great sex=genital warts

It's MySpace
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well, how so? I'm asking for a 24 fret super strat without a tremelo with a pickup configuration lacking a middle pickup. That isnt a very tall order

If I could pick up a 007 Elite with a quilt top for like $400 would it be a decent deal?

I would say so.
Hmm, this is quite a tough decision. The Ibanez, although I hate their basswood bodies, are so very affordable and they have nifty paint.. However the schecter is teh sex. Its got a brown quilt top (wtf?!) but they're wonderful looking (imo)

Both would need pickups. Trems arent an issue, really. I'd rather not have one at this point.

The elite is almost brand new, supposedly a month old and not even a mark on it.. $400.. Gah, its so tempting but its almost more than I want to spend (taking into account pickups, of course..)

Does anyone know where you can buy custom sets of strings for a decent price? I'm looking to have some made =/
IMO the Schecter C-7 Blackjack > the 007.

The C-7 is plainer, yes, but it has real SD's, coil splitting, XJ frets, binding, etc all for 580ish, and you can no doubt bring it down to 500 at a GC or something.
haha
Here ya go right here dood, Japanese made DR-7 in excellent shape I will sell you for $250.00 plus shipping.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
IMO the Schecter C-7 Blackjack > the 007.

The C-7 is plainer, yes, but it has real SD's, coil splitting, XJ frets, binding, etc all for 580ish, and you can no doubt bring it down to 500 at a GC or something.

I'd prefer to buy used if possible. I'm not REALLY concerned with the pickups.. I was pretty much set on replacing them anyway... I can get a used 007 elite for like $450 and its a pretty nice guitar imo, its almost brand new, etc. I'd prefer to buy used if possible because I'm a broke mother****er.

Don't Fret-

It doesn't have 24 frets, does it? Otherwise I'd take it in a heartbeat.
washburn used to make a guitar called the WG587 that was pretty much exactly what you're looking for - super strat, 7 string, fixed bridge (although they were available with Floyds, too), although, now that i think about it, the fixed bridges were Tune-O-Matics. still, high quality guitar, and they're unbelievably cheap. like, in the 200 dollar range. while it's possible that it's a basswood body, you'd have enough money left over to put some seriously nice electronics and hardware on, although it really doesn't need it. i used to have one of these, and i loved it, except that i had no reason to ever play 7 string. so, i sold it. but it sounds like it's right up your alley.

because i'm a nice guy, and i'm all into convenience:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-CONDITION-Washburn-WG-587-7-String-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ7413738438QQcategoryZ33048QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also, i checked harmony central, and i think it may have an alder body.

if you don't like red, or want the floyd, just do some ebay searchin'. i found 4 others, that was just the first one on the list.

so yeah, snag that baby, spend the extra 300 bucks you're saving on new pickups and hardware, and you should be good to go.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
I still think that you snag that schecter man. If your leaving yourself open for new pups then that thing will slay souls.

(Myself, I've just bought a Jackson DKMGT and it rips, but a 6 string. *sigh* I'm waiting untill I've got the cash to afford a Ibanez Presitge 7 string or even boost a Schecter Omen. But I've got the Jackson and thats enough for the moment, eventually the call of Nevermore and Morbid Angel will be too great.)
^dude be happy with your jackson. i would wound people for your guitar. i wouldn't kill, but i'd wound...which one have you got again.

and i'm gunna have to side with greety here, the schector seems like a great deal. whack in some new pickups (eventually) and rock out!
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
^dude be happy with your jackson. i would wound people for your guitar. i wouldn't kill, but i'd wound...which one have you got again.

Edited my post. It sounded like I was too ungrateful for such a killer guitar and I'm not. But just saying eventually as Metalhead you NEED THE SEVENTH. RAR.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by greety
Edited my post. It sounded like I was too ungrateful for such a killer guitar and I'm not. But just saying eventually as Metalhead you NEED THE SEVENTH. RAR.

Indeed. Morbid Angel/Nevermore are basically THE reason I'm buying it. I can't stand playing them on my strat any longer.

Then I'm going to go hunt down a nice used ESP M-II or DK-1.

The biggest concern here is finding a good base to build a sweet guitar on. I'm probably gonna invest in a new nut + tuners + pickups eventually. I'm not so concerned with the pickups RIGHT NOW as I'm not recording/gigging/plugging in all too often. I can make just about anything work with my Powerball, too.

I like the 007 Elite, I think i'll email the guy about it to see if I can talk him down any. hah.

The weird thing is they only have two colors on their site, did they discontinue it or does his camera just take ****ty photos or something?

I'm planning on spending more than $300 on pickups at this point... Its probably going to be a BKP set, unless duncan make 7 string Full Shreds haha. I'll try to play one of the Washburns, I think I know a store that has em, thanks for the suggestion Jaeger!
^

300 US? No wai. I'm spending 350 Aus on my pups for my Jackson. (x2n/Jazz) Like I mentioned before. That seems pretty steep price wise.

Quote by joel_grieve

DKMGT.
i think they discontinued it a while back. and i think they make a 7 string full shred.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yeah.. I know $300 is steep for a set of pickups, but they're custom handwound pickups made exactly to the specs I want.. I've got one set of em already and I like the ones I have quite a bit. Maybe I'll have to find a used set of 7 string fs pickups and try it out.

The only issue I have with the 007 elite is that its Hum/x/Single, which is kinda odd. Anyone know some good 7 string singles with alot of power/clarity/cut?
does BK make seven string Sinners/Trilogies? if so they'd be very nice
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
The only issue I have with the 007 elite is that its Hum/x/Single, which is kinda odd. Anyone know some good 7 string singles with alot of power/clarity/cut?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=513080

You drop a high powered in the bridge for the Loomis esque stuff and keep the neck for the contrast in sound.

Oh wait, misread that question. Still, get that Schecter.
Quote by joel_grieve
does BK make seven string Sinners/Trilogies? if so they'd be very nice

BK will make anything you'd want I assume. I would be getting an Uber Trilogy if I did go with BKP. I have a trilogy and its nice, just not enough balls to it. Though I might go with a Nailbomb bridge rather than the Miracle Man again..

EDIT:

After browsing duncan's website they don't make a 7 string SH-10
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 14, 2006,
Did you already rule out the hellraiser? I just got one, and I really like it. I saw 2 black ones go on ebay for $545 and $565 last week. A little over your budget, but you really wouldn't have to upgrade much unless you didn't like the EMG 707's. It's got a lot of good parts; 3 piece mahogany neck, mahogany body, tonepros bridge, graphite nut, grover tuners, string thru, set neck with smooth joint. Pic Pic Front Pic back
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I havent ruled the beast out yet, however, if I could get the 007 elite I'd save a few bucks and on top of that i'd be able to get my beloved BKP or something as well.

I've been looking at one on ebay and one locally, I don't think either seller wants to budge on the price =x I'm really in a bind with money right now and I want a new guitar pretty badly. lol
Holy crap those Hellraisers are sexy.

And the fact that loomis uses them means you can't go wrong, I would say.
ya know something, it might even be prudent to wait if you wanted a trem. I watched a lesson on the GW CD insert with Loomis, and he was playing a 7 string black hellraiser with a trem. I have a feeling that will be coming soon, and rumor is it's a real FR 7 string trem.

Edit: I uploaded the lesson for a friend the other day if you want to check it out.
http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B18F029B3D1E4940

I already modded mine, lol. A friend of mine has the LTD SRC baritone, and we swapped a pup. Now it's an 81-7 in the bridge, and a 707 in the neck. I really like the combo with the mahogany.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 14, 2006,
Yeah, right now I think this is my idea:

Find a decent shell of a guitar to practice on. I can always upgrade small things later, but I want one to jam on right now pretty badly. I'm not 100% concerned with a tremelo, at this stage I'd rather not have one because it'll surely tag on an extra $200.. Maybe if I really love the 7 string that much I'll buy another one. Until then.. I've got at least another guitar and a move to Houston on my plate.

The video was pretty cool, too.

Companies these days are making too many guitars and then discontinuing them like the next month.. its annoying.
yeah, that's what I was going to do too. I saw those Washburn WG587's going for under 200 brand new. I saw one go for $205 that had the JB/59 7 combo, that I really wanted. A guy owed me money, and I had to sell some stuff to get the Schecter. It's hard to believe at that price that the Washburn was any good, but I've talked to a few owners, and they all liked it. I was really surprised it was alder instead of agathis at that price.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah, at this rate I'm more of a fan of Mahogany due to my amp of choice- The Powerball. It balances the tone really well.. When I plug my LP into my amp I get a huge, tight, awesome (imo) sounding distortion. Its not really crunchy, not real marshally/crunchy, but its powerful and it cuts like a knife.

The local dude sold his I didn't have enough cash yet, I'm talkin to the dude who has one on ebay.. hes probably gonna end up relisting his because its not selling I think, I don't have enough money for THAT either.. I might be able to get it from him for $400 w/ shipping.
Anyone have pickup suggestions other than the mighty EMGs?

How do you think an EVOLUTION would sound in the schecter?

And what about singles? I'm lost when it comes to what single I'll use
Page 1 of 2