Hi, I'm looking to buy a new amp and wouldn't mind some recommendations from the board. I'm looking to spend up to £350 ($660). My main guitar is a Rickenbacker 330 (got a Les Paul and SG copy as well) and I like to play indie/alternative and a bit of rock so I need an amp with a good clean channel but which can also put out a nice distorted sound too (for which I'll probably use my Boss DS-2 pedal). I've been looking at the Marshall AVT and MG ranges but I'll take any recommendations on board, especially if you know anything that gets the best out of Rickenbacker guitars. Looking forward to your responses.
first off, dont go NEAR the MG or AVT series. waste of money.

For that amount, you could get a nice tube combo.

Look into the Traynor Blue.

If you dont want to go tube, look into the Vox AD series.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
ye orange are good. the rocker 30 head and cab is amazing for cleans and overdrive, but pricey (600 RRP). with those you are paying more for the image i reckon.

maybe look at Vox or even some of Fenders tube alternatives.

stay away from the marshall MG, it really is as bad as everyone says. (non organic tone, sharp, wooden). the AVT is better, but maybe save up and look at a DSL? (600 quid)
ACOUSTIC
Martin 0001
Fender Stratacoustic

ELECTRIC
Gibson SG Special Faded (Mod)

AMP/FX
DOD ICE IT 60 Watt
ZOOM 606II Guitar
I'd say you should save up some more money. With that nice guitar you should go with an amp as good as it.
laney lc or vc 30?

haven't tried, but from what i hear, they'd be great for the tones you're after.

avoid the mg like the plague, and the avt also (too dear for what it is).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks like I've dodged a bullet by asking about the MG and AVT's. I'd considered an Orange but they're definitely overpriced for what they are. I really want a tube as I'm not happy with the digital amp I have at the minute. Laney and Fender seem to be popular choices for Ric guitars. I'm looking for a combo as well, ratehr than a cab/head set-up.
^yeah, those laneys i suggested are tube. EDIT: and combos.

the peavey classic 30 and fender hot rod might be worth a look too, but they're a little dearer. Again, i haven't tried the classic 30...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by antman2004
ye orange are good. the rocker 30 head and cab is amazing for cleans and overdrive, but pricey (600 RRP). with those you are paying more for the image i reckon.

How about the Rocker 30 combo? I reckon I could push to that if it's especially good.
I've never been too keen on Peavey's. The few I've tried have just never had the right tone for me.
^well, i haven't tried the rocker 30, but the rocker 50 i tried was very, very nice indeed...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Saw a band last night and the guitarist was playing a rocker 30. (Head, through an Orange 212) and it sure sounded good. But yeah, it is pricey. I'd be tempted by the Laney myself - they're a seriously good price, plus according to the Laney site the Eagles of Death Metal use the VC30. EoDM kick arse.
I saw Pearl Jam last night, and Eddie was playing a Ric 330 through a couple Fender tube amps. Looked like Hot Rods, possibly...or Blues DeVilles. I couldn't tell for sure since I was in the nosebleeds. But the guitar tone was excellent. Ric through a Vox is also a classic sound - Ryan Adams uses this a lot live for a crunchy rhythm tone.
Hi, I'm Peter
MG and AVT = No No No No No.

For 300 pounds you might be able to get a second hand DSL 401 (I got mine for 275 ) and they are damn good. Peaveys are a rip here in the Uk so..... Look at a Roland Cube 60 or a Vox.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30