just lookin for advice really!!!!!!

well ive been playin guitar 3yrs-ish, i practice 4-5 hours a day, i practice the examples from john petruccis rock discipline dvd, and sum paul gilbert examples from intense rock using a metronome but despite this i seem to be not improving at all, it seemed logical to start with that the more i practice the better i get but this seems to not be gettin me anywhere!!! any ideas or am i just not being paitent???

also played my first performance last week, and found that the slight amount of technical ability i have on guitar whilst playing in my room dissapears on stage!!

any advice???? or do i just need to continue practicing and continue to play in public to gain experience???

thanks guys
Maybe look into some lessons? Also playing on stage is all about confidence, you have to believe in yourself.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Just believe in yourself and that can make you a better player. Sounds like you're doing the right exercises as long as your technique ( picking from wrist, not too tense ) is fine then I don't know what the problem is.

I'd also recommend playing infront of friends and family as much as possible to get rid of nerves and get more confidence.

EDIT : Lessons can teach you better than books and internet could ever.
about your slow progress, i guess every serious guitarist, at one point or another, felt discouraged, felt as if he isnt making much of a progress, its a phase everyone goes through, and besides who ever said that JP and PG shredded crazy overnight? it took them years and years of practice...secondly, with the way you talked, you sounded as if you were the worst guitarist in the world, im sure there are hundreds of guitarists out there who'd love to have your skills, you just have to put in a little confidence in there, believe in yourself...you might also consider listening to new music, maybe thatll keep you motivated with practicing...hope this helped
Are you practicing new things? Or are you practicing things you've always practiced?

Practicing new things and new ideas/techniques/styles can help you improve.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Quote by AngilasGuy
Are you practicing new things? Or are you practicing things you've always practiced?

Practicing new things and new ideas/techniques/styles can help you improve.

at the start of my guitar playing i practice all the same stuff everyday because perfection comes through repeating ideas over and over again. but i introduce new ideas through learning songs...but aint sure if playin soings counts as practice!

anyway thanks guys think its all down to motivation and confidence !!!

thank you