Page 1 of 2
i know this is probly the wrong spot but can you list it like...

[----0-------------------------------
[----1-------------------------------
[----1------------------------------
[-----------------------------------
[-----------------------------------
[------------------------------------

you know what i mean?, so whats the best one for stuff like blink 182, if theres more then one, plx list them.

My Wepons of Mass Distruction:
Epi. G-310 SG
Martin Acoustic
Austin Acoustic
Squire Jagmaster
Epi Acu Bass jr
Les Pual knock off
Drive 30watt Guitar amp
Behringer 60 watt Bass amp
Ibanez 10watt guitar amp
you don't need to worry about playing some gay band like that right now.

you need to just learn your chords all together...your destined to be a terrible guitarist if you just try to learn chords to simple songs by poppunk bands.

basically blink 182 doesn't even play real chords...they play a repetitive pattern called a power chord. you need to learn all your rythm chords first...then a few scales...then if you still find that kind of music interesting i guess you could play power chords...all it is your first finger on the root note...then the other finger 2 frets over 1 down...and the 3rd 2 frets over 2 down.
Best chords for playing blink 182? Power chords.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
power chords are real chords, yet they dont sound as good as full chords and have been killed by ****ty punk bands. power chords can sound really good in songs when sometimes a full chord doesnt fit. so dude. learn all your major and minor chords and when your done with that i say you should start scales.
Quote by Which_Guitar
i've started to learn the HALO theme song (the hard one) to kill time!

Quote by timsafatass
Dude, you cant play it because your right handed, you can only play it on a left handed guitar
powerchords =/= real chords. You need three notes to make a chord, powerchords are just a root and a fifth.
four types of chord the double stop, the power, barre, octave that i ahve seen them use. Blink are a punk band and use punk rythms and riffs like the Ramones.
But you if you want a real master of the
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Last edited by soccermom at May 13, 2006,
Quote by Danno13
powerchords =/= real chords. You need three notes to make a chord, powerchords are just a root and a fifth.

yeah technically its just an interval of a perfect fifth. Some an interval like that is refereed to as a diad (instead of a triad)

These are the main chords used in Blink's songs:
[-----------5----------5--------------
[-----5----5----5-----x----------------
[-----5----3----x------3---------------
[-----3----------3--------------------

You can move any of those shapes up and down the fretboard wherever. However Bonchie is right about them not being chords. Chords need to have three different notes in them, and in the first two (the power chords), the top and bottom notes are octaves (Their both G's in this case) and the middle note is a fifth (Here, a D), so that's only two different notes, which would be called an interval. They're called power chords, but that name is misleading, they are actually intervals, or two simultaneous notes. The last two there are just octaves, so they would just be notes, not even intervals, and they're usually played over power chords anyway.
you can add a note onto the end of the powerchord...making it three notes instead of 2? because doesnt the definition of a power chord say theres 3 notes?
Quote by Which_Guitar

Quote by timsafatass
Dude, you cant play it because your right handed, you can only play it on a left handed guitar
Quote by soccermom
Three thypes of chord the double stop, the power and the barre. Blink are a punk band and use punk rythms and riffs like the Ramones

no. a chord is 3 or more notes. You dont classifie them by barre or any**** like that. Power chords are not real chords see above posts
oh whatever, well, they acn still sound good at times, and im taking music theory now so dont effing burn me...thenks
Quote by Which_Guitar

Quote by timsafatass
^Well, he doesn't yet, really, he's just starting, and it's not like he can start with Dragonforce or anything. Either way, he's not going to look at your post and go "Hmm, I guess you're right" and stop listening to them. Let him play what he wants.
Quote by justshreddin16
you can add a note onto the end of the powerchord...making it three notes instead of 2? because doesnt the definition of a power chord say theres 3 notes?

You can add the octave yes, but there will still technically be only 2 notes played. You can add another note other than the octave, but then it ceases to be a power chord. A power chord is just the root and its fifth.
best blink 182 chord right here

------------------------------------------

its hard to learn, but once you master it, you'll be the ultimate punk musician.
Quote by zeppelin68

its hard to learn, but once you master it, you'll be the ultimate punk musician.

thats freakin classic...i've gotta sig that.
Quote by justshreddin16

There is a two-note shape and a three-note shape.
****, stop giving him such a hard time about blink. So what if he wants to learn a simple song.
2 note shape is:
C G (in the key of C, go play this on a piano to try)

3 note shape is:
C G and C up an octave

A real chord is:
C E G (with the middle note to determine if it's major or minor)

a chord has to consist of 3+ notes (triad). so...a powerchord isn't a chord, it's an interval that sounds good. it does sound good when pete townshend plays it, but not anywhere else..
Last edited by che_davis at May 13, 2006,
Quote by El Codyo
There is a two-note shape and a three-note shape.
****, stop giving him such a hard time about blink. So what if he wants to learn a simple song.

noones giving him anything...maybe we are suggesting he learn a different way because hes gonna totally screw himself if all he trys to learn are powerchord songs. this guy is such a beginner he asked what CHORD blink plays for there songs. he doesn't even know there are multiple chords in a song. if we told him sure...they play this power chord in there song it could put him in a rut for years because he didn't do things right.

the truth is i finde most people who like poppunk etc. like it because they haven't been exposed to anything else. maybe if we can get this guy to learn a real song with real scales and chords we maybe ...just maybe...might be able to make sure theres one less power chord only playing no talent pop guitarist out there...
Last edited by bonchie1 at May 13, 2006,
Quote by soccermom
four types of chord the double stop, the power, barre, octave that i ahve seen them use. Blink are a punk band and use punk rythms and riffs like the Ramones.
But you if you want a real master of the

Blink 182...Like the Ramones??

**** you. Don't insult the Ramones like that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
this thread is ****ing retarded. let the guy play what he wants. power chords are a staple of rock music whether you cockfags like it or not. deal with it.

"only good when Pete Townsend plays it"? what the **** is that supposed to mean? does he have a magic fretboard that makes power chords sound different to other guitars?

I never thought I'd see the day I'd be standing up for pop punk, but jesus ****ing christ, you people are morons.

also: this swear filter is annoying. I know most of the people here are 13 year old boys who fail puberty, but still, why censor something so part of every day vocabulary (especially on the internet).
^Agreed. Everyone uses power chords at some point. I personally don't like blink182, but I don't hate people who like them.

Although saying they're the same as the Ramones is just wrong.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
This is not the point

Powerchords are just practically everywhere, but seriously the TS asked what kind of chords does BLINK USE!!!
This one of the most stupid questions i have heard, and stupid questions do deserve a really stupid answer

Get a life, if you dont know the staple chord for all rock music, you shouldnt be playing guitar... Why didnt you check out some "Blink" tabs, you would of got your answer that way... Stop being lazy
Quote by zeppelin68

Later in the evenin, as you lie awake in bed, hear the echoes of the amplifiers ringin' in your head, smoke the days last cigarette rememberin' what she said...
Quote by zeppelin68
This is not the point

Powerchords are just practically everywhere, but seriously the TS asked what kind of chords does BLINK USE!!!
This one of the most stupid questions i have heard, and stupid questions do deserve a really stupid answer

Get a life, if you dont know the staple chord for all rock music, you shouldnt be playing guitar... Why didnt you check out some "Blink" tabs, you would of got your answer that way... Stop being lazy

He obviously just started playing guitar you ass h*le. How the **** is he supposed to know what chords are which? Maybe next time (instead of being a dick), you could try helping him out.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by justshreddin16

a root, fifth and an octave you can also play it like this

|-1--|
|-1--|
|-2--|
|-3--|
|-3--|
|-1--|
lol, give me a ****ing break people! I know a couple of excellent guitarists, who know theory and know exactly what they are doing, and enjoy playing blink-182 and many other punk band songs.

if you don't like some band just don't ****ing talk about it, flaming won't make you grow some balls!
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
I'm pretty sure Nirvana used power chords a hell of a lot of the time...

But I called them talentless jerks I think the board would tear me a new arsehole...

Just saying...
And on another note, I used to be a Blink-182 fan... I went off them but still like a lot of punk music... I consider them a feeder-type band, both in terms of tastes and guitarists...

If I hadn't listened to Blink-182 I wouldn't have started listening to other bands that are now my favourites (such as Bad Religion, Bayside, Anti-Flag)... And similarly, without learning Blink songs, I'd never have had the basics covered with which to move on...

Learning how to solo and shred is cool, and great fun (although I'm still somewhat lame and learning every day) but you can't solo in a verse over the vocals.... Power chords DO have their uses kids...
Quote by Supersonic^
this thread is ****ing retarded. let the guy play what he wants. power chords are a staple of rock music whether you cockfags like it or not. deal with it.

"only good when Pete Townsend plays it"? what the **** is that supposed to mean? does he have a magic fretboard that makes power chords sound different to other guitars?

I never thought I'd see the day I'd be standing up for pop punk, but jesus ****ing christ, you people are morons.

also: this swear filter is annoying. I know most of the people here are 13 year old boys who fail puberty, but still, why censor something so part of every day vocabulary (especially on the internet).

yes pete has a magic fretboard.

no, actually i meant he used the powerchord in a more interesting way, opposing to the 24/7 i-iv-v progression

edit: you're paraphrasing
Last edited by che_davis at May 13, 2006,
Quote by jimmy_fowler
I'm pretty sure Nirvana used power chords a hell of a lot of the time...

But I called them talentless jerks I think the board would tear me a new arsehole...

Just saying...

do you read this board...the majority of people on here realize nirvana sucked musically so feel free to say that. noone will flame you.

and for gods sake.

NOONE is flaming the guy but he asked what CHORD do you use for blink songs. this is such a stuipd question he must just now be picking a guitar up for the first time. if he is he doesn't need to learn power chords and play crap like blink. if he wants to become a competent musician he needs to learn his scales and chords either through a teacher or a book before he just trys to play some crappy poppunk song.

it may seem like flaming but i'm really just trying to help the guy as are most here. noone wants to see another guitarist fall into only being able to play power chords and simple blink182 songs. this guys gonna get bored with it eventually and when he does hes gonna wish he would of taken the advice of people like me.
Quote by Air Guitarist!
a root, fifth and an octave you can also play it like this

|-1--|
|-1--|
|-2--|
|-3--|
|-3--|
|-1--|

Nope.

|-1--| F
|-1--| C
|-2--| A
|-3--| F
|-3--| C
|-1--| F

Which is F major.
Quote by axe_grinder247
meatwad>chuck norris
Quit being ass h*les. He's a newbie to guitar. Why not lay off him?

To the Topic Creator:

As you can see, there are quite a few jerks on this forum. Don't let them get you down. They are sad, pathetic people, who, at most can hope for a job working the fryer at McDonalds.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^yets hes been on the forum for a year now, some newbie eh?

if youve been on a guitar forum for 1 year, and still have no clue whats going on, i dont know whats going on...

Next time you do a stupid newbie... hmm maybe: "what kind of chords greenday uses" post... theres a new members section in the forum... so you wont get butchered down
I think my I.Q. dropped when I read the thread title.

And nou mhyy spuelling skilllz r detiroratin.

Thinxs eww, theeadstratterr. Ehye huope u gew tue heel. Beesterrd.
Quote by justshreddin16
power chords are real chords, yet they dont sound as good as full chords and have been killed by ****ty punk bands. power chords can sound really good in songs when sometimes a full chord doesnt fit. so dude. learn all your major and minor chords and when your done with that i say you should start scales.

its allready been pointed out that power chords arnt real chords so i wont mention that.

WTF do you mean that they dont sound as good as "full" chords, ever tried playing a dominate chord with a **** load of distortion?
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
nothing in the world sounds like strumming an A power chord in front of a Marshall stack cranked all the way up.
Page 1 of 2