Hey, i just broke my higher e string again. I just fitted it in one week ago. I use GHS. Wtf is wrong? I play with 1.14 mm picks, and i was just doing a riff a little harder than usual for some extra "schwung" if you kno what i mean. Should i just switch do daddario? Are they more resiliant? Thanks...

EDIT: Oh, and without a reserve, this effectively ends my practising for the whole weekend seeing as how all the music stores are closed now
Just use a thicker gauge e than the other strings. I use an 0.09-0.46 set, but I always replace the high e (the 0.09) with a 0.10.
Where is the string breaking?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^No it's not...

I use D'addario 10-46's with 1.14 picks and I can dig in as much as I like, they don't snap.

Maybe you have a sharp saddle.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Around where i pick. A little farther towards the bridge maybe than the exact place i picked..

Edit: And i can't use a much lighter pick. I might lower it down as far as 90 mm, but not one mm less.

EDIT 2: Saddle is the place where the string rests on the bridge, right? The metal bar between the bridge pick up and the place where you place the string ball ends?
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 13, 2006,
Oh. Saddle it is then. Look for something sharp on the high e's saddle, and file it down.
Quote by guitarforever<3
Hey, i just broke my higher e string again. I just fitted it in one week ago. I use GHS. Wtf is wrong? I play with 1.14 mm picks, and i was just doing a riff a little harder than usual for some extra "schwung" if you kno what i mean. Should i just switch do daddario? Are they more resiliant? Thanks...

EDIT: Oh, and without a reserve, this effectively ends my practising for the whole weekend seeing as how all the music stores are closed now

switch to daddario. they are a lot stronger and better quality.
4 years exp usin them, there great
Quote by guitarforever<3
But won't filing on it lower the action compared to the other strings?

Well, only file them down if they're sharp obviously... You don't need to file them down much, just enough to get the sharp point flattened out, if there is one...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.