Which is a better guitar to get, in terms of sound, aesthetics, value, playability, quality and durability.

Im saving up for the LP Studio at the moment but Im not sure whether its worth getting an Elitist instead.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Studios/Studio

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/custom.htm

Here are the specs I will not get a guitar without:

Alpine White finish
LP Body Shape

Here are the things I would really like the guitar to have:

Ebony Fretboard
Black Binding (not necessary, just a nice addition)
As thin a neck as possible

Advantages of Studio Over Elitist:

Ebony Neck
Wouldnt decrease much in value
Stronger lacquer finish

Advantages of Elitist Over Studio:

Slightly cheaper
Comes with binding

Now, when I look at some pictures of the two guitars, the binding seems almost golden on the Elitist instead of black. Is that true??

Input and advice from you guys would be very good

Oh, whichever guitar I was getting, I'd probably be upgrading the pickups to EMG's anyway.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Last edited by Frostithe at May 13, 2006,
Gibson all the way
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
If you're going to upgrade it you might as well do it to a guitar worth the upgrade, Studio.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I was leaning towards the Gibson anyway. However, I CANNNOT find ANYWHERE which stocks it in Alpine White, sells it for a reasonable price and will ship to the Uk!
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Uh...who told you that the studio has an ebony fretboard? O_o

Last time I checked it had rosewood.

On the binding for the Elitist, it's a cream color on the black. It looks nice on it, but it would look like **** on the Alpine White.

It comes down to your decision-both are quality guitars. Take a trip to Guitar Center and try them both out. See which one feels and sounds best.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Check the Gibson site, its ebony.

And read my last post, *ships to UK*. But thanks anyway.
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
In my opinion I think you should go with the elitist. From what I've heard those are awesome guitars that meet up to the lower end gibsons. From the studio's I've played they are crap guitars. If you are going to get a Gibson get a real one, don't get the lower end ones.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
I thought musiciansfriend did ship to the UK...Sorry man.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
you can get guitars from Musicians friend to UK. U gotta hire a USA address and its directed here. I have done it loads and it only cost about £30
My Gear:

the top model of a mediocre brand?

or

the "economic"(****) model of a highclassed brand?

i'd go for the elitist
Quote by JaYB06
In my opinion I think you should go with the elitist. From what I've heard those are awesome guitars that meet up to the lower end gibsons. From the studio's I've played they are crap guitars. If you are going to get a Gibson get a real one, don't get the lower end ones.

Since when is a Studio NOT a real Gibson? A Studio is basically a Standard with little-to-no quality loss. The difference is mostly cosmetics.

I say Studio.
It's funny how you morons look at the studio and say it's ****. You DO know that it's the same as the standard minus all the fancy trimmings, right?

I swear. Sometimes people are just stupid.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^but, if your upgrading it, the studio will probably be better overall
ive played a studio...awsome guitars..and played a gibson les paul standard..the difference is only aesthetic IMO
Quote by Xenn99
It's funny how you morons look at the studio and say it's ****. You DO know that it's the same as the standard minus all the fancy trimmings, right?

I swear. Sometimes people are just stupid.

Amen, thats what I was thinking. The studio is a brilliant quality guitar and diffinetly better than any Epiphone.
Who every was talking about Epiphone and Gibson like two different companies should do some research.
My Gear:

Quote by Ignite
Since when is a Studio NOT a real Gibson? A Studio is basically a Standard with little-to-no quality loss. The difference is mostly cosmetics.

I say Studio.

to must people's eyes, "real" gibsons are the Standards. It's like how most people say that "real" PRS' are the Custom 24's or whichever highend model, and not the SE's..
Quote by che_davis
to must people's eyes, "real" gibsons are the Standards. It's like how most people say that "real" PRS' are the Custom 24's or whichever highend model, and not the SE's..

Just because the studio is the low end model of a very high class brand doesn't make it ****. It is a high class guitar still. A 'real' Gibson in most peoples eyes would be one that says 'Gibson' on the headstock
My Gear:

Studios = Standards without the binding and in much better colours.

Specials suck though, too thin for good sustain.

Tabber, explain this to me in more detail please...
~ My Gear ~

Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Quote by Frostithe
Studios = Standards without the binding and in much better colours.

Specials suck though, too thin for good sustain.

Tabber, explain this to me in more detail please...

Yea specials suck. I haven't seen Gibson specials before but I'm sure they exist. There is no difference between the standard and studio sound wise. I have played both and had enough money for the standard but chose the studio over it because I wanted black. The only difference is the binding. As Gibson says 'Who needs binding anyway?' They were designed for studio use so you don't see them but they keep the great tone but that all changed an I am sure many of you will agree that the Studio is a brilliant guitar.
My Gear:

I prefer the look of the Studios and there's no other difference between them and the standards (apart from the price)

As I said before I'd go wine red and remove the pickguard.
^ the black ones are nice too
My Gear:

How about the newer Studio+?

I love that transparent black...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Uh...who told you that the studio has an ebony fretboard? O_o

Last time I checked it had rosewood.

The 2 white studio models come with an ebony fretboard.

And if you really want to compare, the Studio is actually a LP Classic without the binding. They have a non-figured maple top, whereas the Standard has figured maple. This is strictly cosmetic and has no real effect on the tone of the guitar. Not sure what neck profile and pickups the Classic has offhand since the Gibson site doesn't seen to be responding at the moment. But for all intents and purposes, that's it closest 'higher end' Gibson.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
This is strictly cosmetic and has no real effect on the tone of the guitar.

Not necessarily. There are two types of maple trees, Acer macrophyllum (soft maple, big leaf maple) and Acer saccharum (hard maple). Figured woods(quilt, flame, curly, spalt(dead) are all soft maples, while regular non-figured maple is hard maple, and hard maple and soft maple are tonally differnet. This is the same exact reasons as why I dislike Agiles compared to Gibsons, because they all have figured veneers, and the tops are hard maple.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^You really had to bring Agile into this, didn't you Algee? No offense, but for you hating them, you sure do talk about them a lot.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by AlGeeEater
If you're going to upgrade it you might as well do it to a guitar worth the upgrade, Studio.

Im gonna upgrade my LP Studio! Im getting Swinesheads, push/ pull pots and proabbly a bigsby.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009