Im about to begin making a guitar in my school's woodshop class, and Im not really worried about anything with that. Im buying a thru-body neck, and im going to glue wings on it, but what I am worried about is since It will be two different woods (maple thru-body neck, and alder wings) I wanted to paint it, not stain it.

I was thinking along the lines of this for the paint.

(if the picture doesnt show up, its a Gibson Double Cutaway Les Paul in Satin Ebony)

How can I achieve this kind of paint for it? Preferably with spray cans or something of the sort....
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
you can get it with spray paint...get enamel black, then as a clear coat use matt finish, not gloss (sorry for the spelling errors, i just got up...)
ive heard of a guy i know taking it to an auto place and having them do it...something about their paint that he likes i suppose.
So its as simple as going and getting the Enamel Black and Matte Finish spray cans from like a hardware store, or something?

If so, thats ****ing rad.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Yea! Thats all you need...(the enamel allows you to sand the paint if necessary)...just dont try sanding the clear coat....
You can sand the clear if you get a run or something, but spray another coat on it.
alright guys, thanks alot.

im really looking forward to this build now, because its going to be so cool now.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Nope, there is no best paint, just like there is no best amp or guitar, it's all personal prefrence. A lot of people may say acrylic lacquer because that's what duplicolor is made of, and lots of people have gotten good results with it.
it may be good, but if you get a run like kaplac said, you cant sand it...at least i think that you cant...im not positive, but its just safer with enamel...
You should be able to sand it, I haven't used matte clear before, but I don't see what could be wrong about sanding it if you get a run. And ultimately you'd have to sand and buff it to take out the orange peel, which is usually inevitable. The only thing I can imagine would happen, when buffing the matte may get to something like a dull shine.
the second time i was talking about the acrylic...yea, actualy you might be able to sand it if you put another coat on...i was talking about sanding the final coat....
Ah, yeah acrylic laquer is sandable for sure. You won't have a problem with buffing with most lacquer based products. And lacquer melts together into the other layers as you spray, so that's nice too, so you coudl go through like 5 layers of clear and not notice it.
Okay guys, thanks a bunch for helping me out.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666