Hey folks (and folkettes),

Mr Freak has "bought" another guitar.... Well I lie, my parents bought it for my 18th birthday (it's on November 30th so remember to buy me stuff ) It's a long way away but this is something special:

Story:

I went to my local guitar shop (well one of the local ones) randomly when I was in town. Normally I don't see anything but a one thing caught my eye today: A luverly D'Angellico Excel (two of them!) A collector must have just sold them! So being the kinda guy I am I asked to try one (the blonde one instead of the burst one.) Unfortunately this shop doesn't have the greatest amp selection so I had to use a Laney LC50 (which I'm not too fond of.) Anyway unplugged this thing was beautiful, very articulate and you could hear every note in a chord! But when I plugged it in I was left feeling uninspired, there wasn't a whole lot of warmth to the tone and it sounded quite sterile and clunky on the top.

I walked back to the room where I saw this beast feeling depressed... But.... Then I layed eyes on a new machine! An old Gibbo hollowbody. I'd never seen one quite like it before so I was quite apprehensive about trying it, but I thought: "what have I got to lose?" and headed back to the amp room. Now this guitar didn't look as sensual as the last one and from the look of it I wasn't expecting much. However when I plugged it in I was floored! Juicy, warm, fat, round, smooth describe it how you want this thing was amazing! Even the salespeople said this one sounded miles better than the last one. At this point it was about lunch time so I went to grab some food (a panini and chips for those interested, it was pretty darned nice if I must say!)

After much consideration I decided to give it another go, this time through a cornford. Those of you who don't know: I don't like cornfords either. but at least it was better than the Laney! I managed to dial up a decent break up tone without feedback which was impressive so I broke into a few "rock" licks. This secured it: I must have this guitar! My parents agreed to pay for it (thank you parents x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000)

For the details:

It's a Gibson ES150DCW (I'm not quite sure what the last three letters signifiy I'm guessing double cut walnut?) Basically an ES335 shape but full hollow and much thicker. It's from 1970 (so I'll be getting a guitar that was made 18 years before I was born on my 18th birthday.... I thought that was kinda cool.) And has a tasty walnut finish, the tuners have been swapped for schallers (one less job for me!) and this thing has no volute.

The frets are a bit worn so I'm getting a refret before the time I use it (probably from Charlie Chandler and his PLEK set up.) And I'm thinking about getting a wood bridge to put on it to help resonance (not that it needs it!)

Pics:

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
cool find, man!

stock pickups?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A nice refinish and that thing will be even sweeter
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
AlGee's Dislikes:
1) Agiles
2) Walnut Finishes
to be expanded upon...

Very nice. I like the walnut quite much. Take care of it! Sweet find.

Quote by SuperAnalytical
AlGee's Dislikes:
1) Agiles
2) Walnut Finishes
to be expanded upon...

Very nice. I like the walnut quite much. Take care of it! Sweet find.

Yeah true

I just don't like the whole maple top with brown stain thing, makes me wana puke. I'm sure that thing plays and sounds sweet as hell though.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
That's beautiful!
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Looks in pretty good shape apart from rusty pickup screws. Damn, that's pretty nice for a 36 year old guitar. HOW MUCH!
what's the knob on the front lower cut/wing thing/part for?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
what's the knob on the front lower cut/wing thing/part for?

Master Volume.

Cost: £1800

And no refinishes. I like it the way it is, I've got no problem as long as it sounds and plays right.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
beautiful
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Six holes, but five knobs.

Doesn't look that great, but you can tell it sounds real warm and juicy.
Quote by priest.fan.
wow, very nice. I quite like the finish, actually.

yup yup.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by AlGeeEater
Yeah true

I just don't like the whole maple top with brown stain thing, makes me wana puke. I'm sure that thing plays and sounds sweet as hell though.

i agree with ya on this one
nah its better worn. gives u the feeling like its been to a ton of gigs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I like the looks of it personally, looks like an orgasm for the fingers.

and nice dave ava, lawlz.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
schecksy.

So, uh... Where do you live, and where in your house are you gonna be keeping it?
*threatens to photoshop his own face onto mona lisa*
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Very nice.

I'd never pay (or get as a present) that price/a guitar of this price though.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Let's throw tiny rocks at PF.

*pelts PF with a shower of tiny stones*
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Or stop spamming...

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
I'm fantasitc at spam.

Someone post the pedro spam pic!
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
I don't like spammers... That makes you... My enemy.

En garde!

Click.
Looks similar to my grandfather's. Hes got an old vintage gibson that I've seen maybe three times in my life. I do believe that it will be mine someday when he passes away. They're wonderful guitars.