1. Are they copyrighted? Every time I see a strat ripoff, it will be a perfect replica, except the headstock. It's usually very similar, but not exactly the same.

2. Are they based on the headstocks of orchestral instruments?

They obviously have big differences, but if you get down to the basics, the Fender looks like it was based on orchestral instruments.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
(1) yes.

(2) no idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
2. No idea. It was designed in the early 50s and Leo Fender was never a muscian (he just fixed PAs and amps firstly, thats why he built the Stratocaster as mainly just a practical easy to build guitar)
1. No. You can't 'copyright' a design or a name. Copyright help protect mostly printed media (pictures, lyrics) and music. The headstocks are however protected under US trademarks. Fender can sue you for using the word Fender on an instrument and selling it as that, and the same with the headstock.

2. Probaly not. The headstock design on strats have changed over the years...
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
It is often said that he copied the headstock off a guitar Paul Bigsby made for Merle Travis in 1947, but Leo Fender always denied this.

Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by apparition
Didn't PRS get sued because of the first issue but due to body shape?

Gibson sued PRS over the PRS Single Cut because they thought it was an identical rip-off of the LP body shape, which is protected by a US Patent (which expires in a year). The PRS body is closely identical to an LP, but the body is more enlogated and flows a bit more than the lp.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
1. No. You can't 'copyright' a design or a name. Copyright help protect mostly printed media (pictures, lyrics) and music. The headstocks are however protected under US trademarks. Fender can sue you for using the word Fender on an instrument and selling it as that, and the same with the headstock.

ah, ok, point ceded then. To plebs like me, copyright and trademark is the same thing, lol- you can't copy them!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, ok, point ceded then. To plebs like me, copyright and trademark is the same thing, lol- you can't copy them!

The only difference between them is that you can't copyright a standard english word, so you'd have to trademark it (say Fender) for use ONLY on your product. You're right in a sense though, you can't copy either of them.
^ yeah, gotcha.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?