I was told that hooking up a attenuator thingy would let me max out the
volume on tube amps and get a better tone without going deaf.. but here's
what my question is:

I have a Peavey Valveking 112 Combo, would I be able to still
use one like this with it:


My concern is from this paragraph:
"A power attenuator is simply a device placed between the speaker output and the speaker cabinet. It acts like a huge master volume control and permits the amp to be turned up most or all the way while absorbing most of the power generated by the amplifier and turning this power into heat. It passes a small part of the power to the speaker."

Would I be able to use it with a combo tube amp?

Thank you for your help!
My totallyawesomeness gear:

-Ibanez GRX40 *die*
-Peavey Valveking 112 50w Combo *yay*
Yes. Just hook it up in between the 1/4" out for the speaker and the speaker input jack.
^Yep, he's right. You can also just unplug the speaker and use that for the input, if you don't have an ext cab.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
One problem:

I don't see any 1/4" cables going toward the built-in
speaker. All I see are the ones that look a lot like the
plugs you put into a TV from like a PS2 or something.

There aren't any 1/4" cables on my amp.
The wires going to speaker seems to be soldiered on.

Would I still be able to use it somehow? Or
am I going to need to buy a speaker cab?

EDIT: Nevermind about the box thing, that
seems to be the reverb unit (or so I'm reading about).

I take it I just have to get a cabinet, because my
speaker isn't hooked up to a 1/4 input, its
soldiered on.. right?
My totallyawesomeness gear:

-Ibanez GRX40 *die*
-Peavey Valveking 112 50w Combo *yay*
Last edited by Rajus at May 13, 2006,
Yeah, if you're handy you can just solder on a radio shack 1/4" jack on both sides, then use regular cables. Otherwise a tech can do it for you, it's pretty cheap & easy.

Edit: that sounds really vague, here's what to do:
Cut the wires running from the speakers, then solder a 1/4" jack onto the each end. That way you have two jacks , one from the amp, one from the speakers. plug a speaker cable into the one from the amp, then into the attenuator. From the attenuator output run another speaker cable into the jack for the speaker.
Last edited by Roc8995 at May 13, 2006,
I might try that.

The main reason I wanted to try one of these is because
I'm not very satisfied with the tone I get.. maybe it's because of
my guitar, I dunno. But after reading some reviews on my amp,
several people said that it sounds a lot better if you put another
speaker through it.. so I might just try putting a
Celestion Vintage 30 speaker into it and replacing the preamp
tubes with Ruby ECC83's (12AX7A).

Thank you for your help!
My totallyawesomeness gear:

-Ibanez GRX40 *die*
-Peavey Valveking 112 50w Combo *yay*
btw, dont get a hotplate, get a weber mass. its just as good for much cheaper.
Hey everybody I am having the same problem, but instead of a single speaker i got 2 speakers

would putting a 1/4inch adaptor on each speaker, then using a Y adaptor to make them into a single plug do the same thing???