I hear people talking about gravity blasts all the time... I know what a blast beat is, but what exactly is a gravity blast?
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
......JOEY JORDISON LOL

I actually have no idea.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_beat

same as blast beat basically. its like a one handed roll
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
A gravity roll is performed by resting the shaft of the drumstick on the rim of the snare drum, while holding the butt. The hand is moved up and down, causing the head of the stick to strike the drum's head twice per stroke: once when stroking down towards the head, again when picking up the stick (similar to a seesaw).

The gravity roll can also be extended into a gravity blast, where bass drum and cymbals are added to make a blast beat. Few drummers are capable of performing a gravity blast. One band well known for this technique is the death metal band Origin. Flo Mounier of Cryptopsy is also famous for using this technique.

Although its origin is unknown, this technique is believed to have been used by jazz drummers such as Buddy Rich in the past. Now the gravity roll is used extensively by extreme metal bands.

Currently there are at least two instructional videos on the market that cover the unique method. They are "The One Handed Drum Roll Training Pack" by Jared Falk and "Extreme Metal Drumming 101" by Flo Mounier.

Other bands that use this technique include The Berzerker, Kataklysm, Despised Icon, DarkLayStill, Gorgasm, Vornagar, and Beneath the Massacre
So instead of Snare 16ths you've got 32nds? That's crazy. With 180 bpm, that's like 1400 snares per minute isn't it?
I'm working on learning it now, and to me the wiki-description is pretty shaky. This is how I do it:

I rest the grape (tip) of the left stick on the skin, I hold the stick at the very end of it, I then slam it down as hard as possible, resulting in a rimshot at the same time as I hit the ride and the kick. The grape of the stick gets lifted into the air while the rear end of the stick is rested on the rim of the snare, then I lift up the end of the stick, thus hitting the skin again with the grape, and then leaving it down there to repeat everything again for eight times each measure.

This is how I got it working pretty well, albeit slowly, after seeing Kataklysm live. That show was a drumlesson more than a concert

EDIT:
Quote by grimreaper65
So instead of Snare 16ths you've got 32nds? That's crazy. With 180 bpm, that's like 1400 snares per minute isn't it?

A regular blast isn't 16th notes, it's 8th notes on offbeats. Gravity blasts are 16th notes.
I don't know sh*t about drumming, so while we're here, could you tell me something about regular blast beats, ozz?
It's a 16th note pattern, just with the bass-drum as the first note and then the snare as the offbeat right? So they both do 8th notes, but together they make a 16th note pattern, right? Can there be blast beats with the snare as the first note and the bass drum as the offbeat?

And just to finish it, how does the cymbal fit in?
Hope that wasn't too confusing
I thought blast beats were synchronized bass and snare hits, like the beginning of Pain Divine by Morbid Angel...
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by -Alek-
I don't know sh*t about drumming, so while we're here, could you tell me something about regular blast beats, ozz?
It's a 16th note pattern, just with the bass-drum as the first note and then the snare as the offbeat right? So they both do 8th notes, but together they make a 16th note pattern, right? Can there be blast beats with the snare as the first note and the bass drum as the offbeat?

And just to finish it, how does the cymbal fit in?
Hope that wasn't too confusing

Both ways can be used as a blastbeat, yes, as long as it's altering bass/snare. It came from grindcore/hardcore etc when they would just alter them as fast as possible without timing or a certain tempo, just as fast as possible while hitting everything else as fast as possible with the right hand.

Cymbals/ride/hi-hat are usually simply combined with the kickdrum. Most people will simply keep the 8th notes downbeat in bass + hi-hat/ride and the 8th note offbeat in the snare with their left hand to keep it tight, but some people (like me) build up an independance so you have the bass-snare going and you have the right hand free to do what you want with. Most people (again, like me), common in death/technical death use the free right hand to play different sub-rhythms or poly-rhythms in ride, on the bell of the ride, crashes, splashes and chinas etc. A personal favourite is two consectutive quarter-notes in two crashes (that is on every other hit of the kickdrum), followed by two 8th notes and one quarter-note on the bell of the ride, making a complete 4/4 measure and then repeating it.

Hope I wasn't too confusing, but get me started on druming, you won't shut me up

I thought blast beats were synchronized bass and snare hits, like the beginning of Pain Divine by Morbid Angel...

Some people call it blast, other people call it grind, some people call grind when doing double kick combined with both hands on the snare at straight 16th notes. There are different names for everything, varying from drummer to drummer. I call doing it all at the same time at 8th notes grind beats.
Heres a pretty good guide to blasting with some examples of bands/drummers who use different beats. Now, I'm no drummer but they sound about as right as can be.

http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-7516.html

I'm sure Blizz here, the metal forum's drum lackey, can help us out with any corrections, though.

Gravity blasts are tough, my ex-drummer was completely stumped by them. Then again he couldn't play tech death if his life depened on it. I guess thats what happens when you listen to too much nu-metal.

EDIT:

I wish I had a decent drummer locally. All of them are either like 40 year old losers or punk rawkers I guess I'll look around when I move to Texas. Theres tons of mettle down there..
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Heres a pretty good guide to blasting with some examples of bands/drummers who use different beats. Now, I'm no drummer but they sound about as right as can be.

http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-7516.html

I'm sure Blizz here, the metal forum's drum lackey, can help us out with any corrections, though.

Gravity blasts are tough, my ex-drummer was completely stumped by them. Then again he couldn't play tech death if his life depened on it. I guess thats what happens when you listen to too much nu-metal.

EDIT:

I wish I had a decent drummer locally. All of them are either like 40 year old losers or punk rawkers I guess I'll look around when I move to Texas. Theres tons of mettle down there..

That's a great page, haven't seen that one before. The stuff on there seems correct, I've never heard of Cannibal blast or Kirisun blast, though. Don't have anything to add/remove/change to that list.

Gravity Blasts ate beyond tough. Or actually, not really. Once you get the basic idea down, it's less straining (to me) than regular blasts or grind beats. Once you get it going tightly at slow speeds, then it's just to practice to get faster, nothing else to it. Like with everything. I'm working on it slowly now.
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
Both ways can be used as a blastbeat, yes, as long as it's altering bass/snare. It came from grindcore/hardcore etc when they would just alter them as fast as possible without timing or a certain tempo, just as fast as possible while hitting everything else as fast as possible with the right hand.

Cymbals/ride/hi-hat are usually simply combined with the kickdrum. Most people will simply keep the 8th notes downbeat in bass + hi-hat/ride and the 8th note offbeat in the snare with their left hand to keep it tight, but some people (like me) build up an independance so you have the bass-snare going and you have the right hand free to do what you want with. Most people (again, like me), common in death/technical death use the free right hand to play different sub-rhythms or poly-rhythms in ride, on the bell of the ride, crashes, splashes and chinas etc. A personal favourite is two consectutive quarter-notes in two crashes (that is on every other hit of the kickdrum), followed by two 8th notes and one quarter-note on the bell of the ride, making a complete 4/4 measure and then repeating it.

Hope I wasn't too confusing, but get me started on druming, you won't shut me up

Hey thanks for clearing that up... I think I'll understand it all, eventually
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
That's a great page, haven't seen that one before. The stuff on there seems correct, I've never heard of Cannibal blast or Kirisun blast, though. Don't have anything to add/remove/change to that list.

Gravity Blasts ate beyond tough. Or actually, not really. Once you get the basic idea down, it's less straining (to me) than regular blasts or grind beats. Once you get it going tightly at slow speeds, then it's just to practice to get faster, nothing else to it. Like with everything. I'm working on it slowly now.

Yeah thats cool.

I'm working on something other than straight beats on the kicks, triplets, quintuplets, etc, I'm not so good at that. I really need to practice more but I can't at the moment (AND I have to move into an apartment! ****!)

Here is a video of the Gravity Roll, the key componet to the gravity blast..

http://www.tigerbill.com/media/Rabb2.wmv

its a great video. Hopefully its still up!
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I guess I'll look around when I move to Texas. Theres tons of mettle down there..

Depends where you're moving to and what you're looking for.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by Spynal
Depends where you're moving to and what you're looking for.

Well, Metal. Melodic Death or Progressive (not dreamtheatre wankery, though) would be cool, maybe some tech death. I'm gonna be in the area around houston for a few (6-9 months, maybe longer). The scene has gotta be better than up here with its homoxcore and nu metal.
can anyone please post some soundclips of grinds/blast beats/gravity blast/whatever blast? i fail to understand the difference...
Quote by metal_maiden1
can anyone please post some soundclips of grinds/blast beats/gravity blast/whatever blast? i fail to understand the difference...

Had it not been for my limited ability to record drums I could've recorded some examples. I guess I could try to get halfway decent recordings and do some Guitar Pro drum-tabs to go with them. We'll see if it's possible.
Quote by SG thrasher
"A gravity roll is performed by resting the shaft of the drumstick on the rim of the snare drum, while holding the butt."

Hahahahah

[/Easily amused]

It's like a reverse reach around.
When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
When used well (Defeated Sanity - 'Psalms of the Morribund') then they are great.

Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz

A regular blast isn't 16th notes, it's 8th notes on offbeats. Gravity blasts are 16th notes.

depends on the drummer. Alex from Gravaged played 32nds.
Last edited by mortiis999 at Aug 18, 2008,