Hey, my friends and I have been in a band for while now, playing mostly punk and hardcore, and I was wondering if any of you equipment-virtuosoes out there had any idea of any equipment (mics, preamps, mixers, software, etc.) that would be good for some simple, but decent-quality recordings that would also be relatively cheap. Please be specific if you can, and thanks!
MOL- Mosh Out Loud
well for guitar amps and drums (not cymbals) go for dynamic mics (i would reccomend the sm57 from shure),use small diaphram condensers on the hats and cymbals get a mixer to make all these into one channel or track.If your singer is a screamer then get another dynamic mic for him,if not a large diaphram condenser will do well. Then get a recording interface,that will take the ouput from the mixer into the computer.Then you will need a recording software or "sequencer" (most recording interface come with this.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by inzaneguitarist
Hey, my friends and I have been in a band for while now, playing mostly punk and hardcore, and I was wondering if any of you equipment-virtuosoes out there had any idea of any equipment (mics, preamps, mixers, software, etc.) that would be good for some simple, but decent-quality recordings that would also be relatively cheap. Please be specific if you can, and thanks!

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

I don't know what kind of system you want...you could have a multi-track recorder like this and be done with things. Or you can get really good sound with Firewire/PCI(e) based interfaces and a computer with good software.
Do you plan on recording physical drums? If so the price jumps up about $500-800 more than it would be if you just want to record vocals, bass, and guitar. If you just want to do the later I highly suggest a Mackie Onyx Satellite, which is a firewire interface and allows you to record two instruments simultaneously, however, you will almost always want to only record one instrument at a time.

Mic wise I would recommend a Shure SM57 as well as possibly a condenser, the MXL 990 and 991 are good as well as the AKG Perception 200 and the Rode NT1-a.

For software I would download either audacity or Reaper. Both are free with Audacity being easier to use but less powerful, and Reaper being more complicated, but with pro-level features.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.