I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out how i figure what key im in. Example if i play a C G Am F and repeat, how would I know what key im in and that kind of stuff, help would be appericated thanks.
you'd be in Cmaj.

because...
I ii iii IV V vi vii*

that's the tonality of the chords for C major...
making A (the sixth chord) minor
if it's a minor key, it will be the same pattern.. but using the vi of the major keys as i
i ii* III etc.
This should go in the Musicians talk forum but. . . i'm not too god with figuring out keys but i'm thinking that's in the key of C, but i'm most likely wrong, 'cause of the Am.

EDIT: (after seeing Pheonix's post) HOLY **** I WAS RIGHT!
Last edited by R0CKER1220 at May 13, 2006,
Well, G goes in GABCDEF#G. If you're playing those notes (it doesn't matter what order) than you're in G. The notes you were talking about (CGAmF) are probably in C or G.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
C major

the first chord determines the key( i think), and the maj/minor is another business..

i know it's in C major because the chords in that key is:

C Dm Em F G Am B(7) Root

So, C G Am F are the chords in a Cmajor key.
Quote by beatles_rock09
Well, G goes in GABCDEF#G. If you're playing those notes (it doesn't matter what order) than you're in G. The notes you were talking about (CGAmF) are probably in C or G.

yup C major or G minor

if it's major you count 3 steps up (vice versa) and switch the major/minor.
Quote by che_davis
yup C major or G minor

if it's major you count 3 steps up (vice versa) and switch the major/minor.

G minor? No, it'd be in C or G major, not minor.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
Quote by beatles_rock09
G minor? No, it'd be in C or G major, not minor.

thanks

edit:

would the chords in C major with in G major? A minor?
Why G major? F major isn't in the key of G major, that's a bVII to G.. In C it's I V vi IV.. I think that's the strongest tonality for it
the first chord determines the key( i think), and the maj/minor is another business..

aaaaaah NO
the first/last chord of a song/progression is USUALLY the key because it makes sense that way...
but is definately not always.
(yeah this should be in musician talk blahblah)

ie.
Gmaj Cmaj Fmaj Amin would still be c major.

so yeah you should be able to figure it out.
if not...
take a theory class
Quote by phoenix_88
you'd be in Cmaj.

because...
I ii iii IV V vi vii*

that's the tonality of the chords for C major...
making A (the sixth chord) minor
if it's a minor key, it will be the same pattern.. but using the vi of the major keys as i
i ii* III etc.

The most useful post I've seen in a long time. But I'm confused by the last sentence. What exactly happens when it's a minor key?

If I ii iii IV V vi vii is the pattern for major keys, what is the exact pattern for minor keys? I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Thank you.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior