Hey, I got a 6505 head the other day, and got a marshall cab today. I plugged it all in, turned it on and as soon as I turned up the post gain on either of the channels, I got a load of rumbling. You can't hear it when actually playing, but when I'm not it rumbles real loudly. Any ideas what's doing that?
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Is everything grounded properly?

Try plugging it into a different socket

Make sure the leads you use for the speakers are quality.

Try not to have too many electronic devices near your amps..

If that fails, its just usual peavey ****, new tubes help, or you can get it modded up (or return it I guess) to cut the noise.

Describe 'rumbling' Its not just a hum or something? Its a lower pitched rumble or something?
Yeah, it's a really low rumbling, sounds kinda like waves crashing, if that makes any sense.

I've tried it in different sockets, and different houses even. The speaker cable is a venom one, dunno if they're any good.

I've got the head switched onto 8 ohms and there's only an 8 ohms input on the cab, so I'm assuming that's right?
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Yeah if its an 8 ohms cab you'll wanna run it at 8 ohms. I really don'tk now what to say. Have you tried other cabs?

It doesn't sound like it should be coming from the amp. 5150s arent the quietest amps ever.. but they shouldn't be making noises like that haha.

Try it with a different cab, different cable.. If that doesn't work then its your amp, return it or have it looked at. I couldn't tell you whats wrong with it, unfortunately.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 13, 2006,
Ok, I'll try it in my mates cab.

Thanks for the help,

Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass