Hi, I'm looking at buying either the Line 6 Spider II [30 watts] or a Behringer GM110 [also 30 watts]. The Spider has a lot more effects on it but I've heard a lot of good things about the sound on the Behringer.

Which is better, considering that I'm going to be buying some pedals to go with it.
The second question is which pedals would work best, right now I'm only looking at Boss pedals, namely the:

AW-3 Dynamic Wah
OS-2 Overdrive Distortion
MT-2 Metal Zone
PH-3 Phase Shifter

Would any of these pedals together be redundant [like having the od/distrotion and metal zone pedal together? or phase and wah?] And if I were to get the Behringer in combo with these pedals would they beat the effects on the Spider? Thanks for the advice, I really need some good feedback since this is the first time I'm buying effects or an amp.
both those amps are terrible, and a od and distortion together would just make feedback.
My styles/preferences are that of classic rock and metal, and occasionally some classical. Favourite bands/guitarists are Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Led Zep and Dream Theater.

I should also mention that right now I'm only looking at spending about $300 and will be primarily playing in my room or at friend's houses, at the biggest a small club where I could easy just borrow a bigger amp if necessary. Also, I'd like a bit more info on the pedals becase I'm really in the dark about them, even alternatives would be appreciated.
of the 2 distortion pedals i would go with the OS2. a lot more versitile and im sure an amp could probably compensate if there is a lack of gain. metal zone seemed to be really hissy to me. look into more amps also.
as for the line 6, read sig
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....
^^
yea im gonna agree with thte guy above.
they are horrible amps. they just put alot of ****e in it with no quality. you might as well get like a marshall 30 watt or something and just buy like a overdrive pedal to boost it. line 6 amps suck, and beringers are just worthless
Quote by HIM%(^
^^
yea im gonna agree with thte guy above.
they are horrible amps. they just put alot of ****e in it with no quality. you might as well get like a marshall 30 watt or something and just buy like a overdrive pedal to boost it. line 6 amps suck, and beringers are just worthless

your just as bad as him.

any marshall for 300 sucks.
They are all solid state.
Overdrives dont do **** with solid state amps.

Look into the Roland CUBE series. its good for high gain stuff, not that expensive, and wont sound like ****. with this, you wont need a distortion pedal.

edit: dont JUST look at boss effects, and dont waste your money just cause u want effects to mess with. put the money towards your amp and get a better one.

Though i would recommend getting a wah.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
Last edited by smooth9825 at May 13, 2006,
TRY STUFF OUT!!!!

i love my mates line 6 amp, its got a really good sound when used with his PRS. put i different guitar in, or use a differen spider II 30 watt, and it would sound completly different.....
PLEASE don't go buy one of those ****bag amps and follow it up by wasting $400 on boss pedals. I have plenty of them. Go out and spend all your money some type of all-tube amp (like a Marshall DSL 40) and you won't even need an overdrive pedal (unless you are playing death metal). If your amp has good distortion already, OD pedals and the like are somewhat useless.
I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Behringer amp and the price is really good so I'm somewhat biased towards it now. Especially considering my playing situation.

Additionally, I'm trying not to look only at Boss pedals, but right now, they seem to be best. I've heard them on their site and I like what I hear, though I know I'll have to test them myself too. I think I'm going with the Wah and Overdrive and Distortion, since od/dist seems to take a couple of pedals and put it into one, and the wah sounds cool.
Last edited by Pulling Teeth at May 14, 2006,
i REALLY hope you arent referring the the V-wah.

it is Boss's ONLY failure, and its a catastrophically bad failure.

edit:

oh yeah..the autowah you listed already. forgot. well..dont touch the vwah anyways.
God.

VOX AD OR CUBE! FOR THE LAST TIME!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I have played on a Spider II 30 Watt and it sounded rather nice. I was playing with a yamaha pacifica and it wasn't too bad, except the volume levels between the different channels are stupid... the insane channel is far too loud in comparison to the clean, its not a bad amp, its loud and fun but there are better amps out there, for the money you pay its not an amp you should immediately rule out. I have played a roland micro-cube and its not as good as everyone makes it out to be, i was playing it with some ibanez guitar i was trying out at the store, it's ok but again i've played better amps.

I know eveyone says this, but you can't get an idea of what amps sound like by what other people say, its all personal.
OK, here's the bottom line. The Behringer and the Line 6 are both terrible amps, and no pedal is going to change that, its like polishing a turd. Use all of your money and buy a quality amp. For the price of the Behringer and 3 pedals, you could get a Peavey Classic 30 and an Ibanez Tubescreamer, which will cover all of your needs. You can save up for pedals later.

If you were to get the cheap amp and the pedals, you'll just be disappointed and then go and spend more money on a good amp. The Peavey is a great amp, and coupled with the Tubescreamer you'll have all the sounds you want.

And when you get a wah, please don't get a Boss wah.. They are terrible.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Quote by smooth9825

any marshall for 300 sucks.

i just got a JCM 900 combo for 300. it sure as hell doesnt suck.
jcm900 for 300? arent they supposed to be a little more than that?
I've had a lot of luck with the Vox AD series, but if your price range is only 300 dollars you won't have enough for a pedal afterwards, which is ok, the AD series comes with great pre-set amps and eleven effects.
I've had a lot of luck with the Vox AD series, but if your price range is only 300 dollars you won't have enough for a pedal afterwards, which is ok, the AD series comes with great pre-set amps and eleven effects.

This is quite some time now, I've ditched the ideas of pedals and am now looking at a Vox AD50 and Behringer V-Ampire