I am thinking about buying a used martin d-16RGT for $800. I was just wondering what people think of this guitar? Is it a good deal, or should i just buy something else. The guy told me its just 8 months old. any help would be appreciated
I have a dc16rgte and it is pretty sweet. The only different between the two is mine has a cutaway and is an electro-acoustic. I have been nothing but satisfied with my guitar and that seems to be a pretty good price for it.
you will be happy with that guitar, the D-16 series and up are nice guitars.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Well dude, considering that is HALF the asking price of that guitar, check it out. Make sure the dude isn't scamming you, make sure it hasn't been glued back together after it was smashed over a PA. If all looks well, and you don't buy that guitar, give me the dudes number, I would shell out the money just to have it even though I'm not lookin.

Congrats. That's a great deal. If it's for real.
Yeah i have a D-16GT and it sounds really nice. I mean really nice. She sings great tone. Def go with it!
the d16rgt isn't my favorite martin model BY FAR... but it definitely is a nice guitar and i'd most certainly say that 800 bucks is a really good deal if it isn't damaged at all
they usually run around 1200 - 1300 ish, so i'd make sure that the guy is trying to rip you off, make sure it's authentic, but other than that, hell yea, to quote one of the people above me "d-16's and up are nice guitars"
Quote by jimtaka
the d16rgt isn't my favorite martin model BY FAR... but it definitely is a nice guitar and i'd most certainly say that 800 bucks is a really good deal if it isn't damaged at all

out of sheer curiosity... what is your favorite martin model? and why?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
The D-100 Deluxe... haha

One would think that the 100,000 dollar price should technically make it the best guitar ever made. no, but you can't beat a pre WWII Martin. Those were amazing. I have only had the privledge of playing one once, but it amazing. They just made them a hell of a lot better back then.
actually it wasnt how they made em (though it was technically better since they only made a few hundred a month) but it was the type of wood they used. (the only guitar i have ever found to be exactly the same as a pre WWII Martin was the Andy Griffith sig martin (made out of the last of the woods that were used on pre WWII that they found in their warehouse).

oh and I like the D-45. (especially for Neil Young stuff)
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
No, it was how they made them. They took more care in making the guitars. They scalloped the bracings, and not in the way they do it today. It was scalloped much thinner. They also used much thinner top wood for better sound delivery. They were all hand made, and when they started to factory produce the guitars, they dropped in quality, but then they dropped further in quality in the 80's. If you were to use the same techniques and style of building a guitar today using different woods like mahogany and sitka spruce, you would have a better sounding guitar then pretty much any factory produced martin today. But the magic of the Pre WWII models was the combination of both top quality woods, and fantastic construction.