i just got a new marshall mg100dfx and i want a real hardcore/metal sound without the humming in the background...does anyone know what i should have the settings on for?
The humming will always be there...its an MG. I HIGHLY sugjest selling that amp, or trading it in. Mainly because its hard to get a good clear sound out of them.
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
Firstly, to get rid of the humming, either use a noisegate or get some humbuckers (if you only have sc's).

For EQ'ing, Treble - 8, Bass - 9, Mids - 4.

Although I agree with biking, why oh why did you get an MG....
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
i dont see whats wrong with it it sounds great and i got it for 250 i figuired that if i used the clean channel for heavier distortion it sounds excellent
If you think it "sounds great" than hearing a Les Paul through a 808 into a JCM800 should kill you...
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
Quote by prsmarshallmg
i dont see whats wrong with it it sounds great and i got it for 250 i figuired that if i used the clean channel for heavier distortion it sounds excellent

holy hell..if you got it for 250 dollars sell it on ebay now..you can actually make some money off of that mg...

you will be the first to not lose money after buying one of those things.
Quote by prsmarshallmg

Why would you use the clean channel for distortion? Anyways, sell that amp as fast as you can. I had the 15 watt and lost $100 when I sold it and it was the happiest day of my life getting rid of that POS.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
^ I think he means using distortion pedals.

And you should sell that thing, horrible amp, if you want a good marshall, get a higher-end one.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
thats the best i can do for that price range explain to me why its so bad and what one i should get if that one isnt good
i prefer more mids, less treble.
most people kill their mids and don't even realize their tone sounds like ****.
There are two kinds of settings for Marshalls:
For the tube ones, turn the volume all the way up.
For SS and hybrid ones, turn the volume all the way down.
Any questions?
I'd say for what you bought you can get a nice Vox ADVT. If you keep it, just dont scoop mids, in a live situation, you wll get lost in the mix.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by prsmarshallmg
thats the best i can do for that price range explain to me why its so bad and what one i should get if that one isnt good

ok dude
you cant even explain it- my first amp was a Marshall Mg15DFX. I didnt know anything, i was in love with it, even if it did sound kind of britle and made my Kramer 1984 feedback like crazy. Then two weeks ago, i scrapped $500 together and bought a 1981 Marshall JCM 800 combo. Its amazing! The other night, i was playing the JCM and got a noise complaint, so i was like **** it whatever, ill plug in the MG. It sounded GROSSS next to the JCM. The MG, great for beginers, but horrible if you want to do anything more with it. My suggestion to you is to sell it on ebay or craigslist, even if it does invovlve taking a hit and buy a new all tube amp- it doesn't even have to be a Marshall. Take your guitar places and try out amps- thats the best way. then goto ebay or craigslist and find your self that amp for a good price.

Good Luck man!
Chris
Why do they sound bad? They don't, in comparison with any other entry level practice amp. But MG's (especially the 50w +) models aren't priced or marketed as entry level practice amps. They're competing with amps that don't have thin and buzzy tone, amps that are reliable...

If I were you I'd return it to the sotre now for something else. I used to own one, I know firsthand that they are horrible amps in every way.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock