I've been playing guitar (acoustic) for around 5-months, and I can handle barre chords pretty well. In fact, when I'm playing a song with at least one open chord to give my hand a break, I'm fine. But when I try to play all-barre chord songs, I just can't keep it up. After a minute or two my hand starts to cramp up. I don't think my technique is wrong, are my hands just not strong enough, or is there a way to reduce the strain on your hands?
The same thing happend to me when i started playing. the more and more you play the stronger your hands will get. just try and play through it if you can, it will eventually go away
Quote by baseballfan0517
The same thing happend to me when i started playing. the more and more you play the stronger your hands will get. just try and play through it if you can, it will eventually go away

What he said^
Quote by baseballfan0517

nooooo dont just play through it, you could get carpul tunnel (sp?). im dead serious too my friends dad "played through the pain" and is really messed up now

when your hand starts to hurt, shake it around and wait until its fine again. after awhile youll be able to play longer and longer, it just takes some time
Yeah, I'm pretty much where you are, but I just dont like the sound of a song that's all barre chords. sometimes during a progression if a chord is like 46644 or 466544 I'll switch it to x466xx once in a while, to change up the sound or just to give my a hand a break haha.
yeah, or you could stop playing and live a life of sorrow and regret up until a famous local band's guitarist dies 20 years from now and they ask you to replace him resulting in wacky hijinks, a friendship that will last a lifetime, and a made-for-tv movie airing on NBC during primetime on a tuesday night
Throw Shit At Me

Member of the STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN SUCKS! club. PM Rox0r713 to join!
Quote by fonzicus
yeah, or you could stop playing and live a life of sorrow and regret up until a famous local band's guitarist dies 20 years from now and they ask you to replace him resulting in wacky hijinks, a friendship that will last a lifetime, and a made-for-tv movie airing on NBC during primetime on a tuesday night

what the f.uck are you talking about