Hey, I've got one on order. I was just wondering, will it stop the buzzing on the gain channel on my amp. I know it stops buzzing on pedals, just wondering if it will stop buzzing on the distortion channel on my amp.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
if you put it in your effects loop it will.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
Do these things work to quiet your amp or does it just act like a noise gate? I'd like sustain and to use reverb but I don't wan't it to cut out on my gain channel.
^ the isp decimator doesnt affect sustain
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
It'l do wonders for high gain, thats pretty much what its made for, it won't kill your sustain or anything. I'm not sure of the technicalities on it, Genocide, but you can't go wrong if all you want is most-all noise to go away, and not afftect your tone.

And to answer the threadstarters question, it will for sure stop the buzzing on your amps distortion..
I have one genocide, it smokes my Boss NS-2 hands down. And it only cost me $115 including tax and shipping. But it does suck tone and especialy distortion from my experience. But luckily it comes with a handy on/off button.

namman if the buzzing is coming from outside interference it should kill it. But if the buzzing is due to a grounding issue I doubt it. I sit in front of my PC and learn from tab and when I first hooked the ISP up it was like somebody turned off my amp. Zero feedback from my monitor.

Edit: The tone suckage is most noticable at lower volumes.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Well, its for my powerball. The noise is already minimal but I want to get rid of it anyway, because its noticeable when my gate is off. I'd like to be able to keep it off so I could use the distortion + delay/verb effects and stuff without it cutting out.

What kind of tone suckage is it? loss of gain? does it bleed away the treble? Anything in specific?
If theres not much noise already, you'll just need to run the decimator at low settings, and that should not kill much tone or sustain at all, but I can see it doing a bit of that at higher settings.
Alright so after I shield up my guitars, fix my solder joints *hah* and stuff I should be good to go.

The problem would only be on the gain channels, and they're the only channels with gate on em, too. I just wanted the hiss to go away in the instances that I had to use a bit more gain. It just bothers me because I expect it not to be there, but it is anyway. I'm used to it with my other amps like my 5150.

Would anyone suggest the rack unit over the pedal? I'm gonna be getting a couple rack toys after a bit (comp,eq,maybe BBE maximizer, etc)

I'll probably be running a couple amps through it at a time, so I'd think that I should probably get a rack unit, because its got two, rather than just the pedal?
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 13, 2006,
I have been using this in front of a Blues Jr. most often. I can't quite find the exact words to describe it. Almost like a blanket over your amp but not that drastic. It isn't even a range so much as it is an affect on sh1t like harmonics, both pinched and natural. Heavier distortion can be perceived as feedback and cut out also unless you have the threshold pretty low.

All in all, I highly recommend the Decimator. Top performance at pay dirt price. Just turn it off when thrashing.

Edit: The rack unit is probably a nicer piece of equipment but will do the same damage to your sound in theory.

PLEASE NOTE: Crank your amp past where you want to have it and then turn on the ISP and tune for each channel. This is one of my favorite pedals out of about thirty.
Last edited by Molsons Golden at May 13, 2006,
i don't think it cuts tone. As molson says, it seems to do something, though. I suspect he may have the threshold a little high, maybe, it does cut tone and even volume with it over 12 o'clock (don't wanna say too much, molson probably knows a lot more than me). Anyway, about the tone sucking. I think i can hear when it's on when I know it is, but I've tried it with my eyes closed (you know, close your eyes, kick the footswitch a random number of times, then try to guess) and I can't tell if it's on or off, tonewise (through the clean channel, obviously, since on the gain channel you could tell because off the lack of hum). It definitely cuts tone less than the NS2.

Reverb: i'd put the reverb AFTER the decimator if you have it in the loop, geno. I had to do that with my delay pedal when i had mine in the loop. That being said, it seems to work better in front. But it doesn't cut ALL the noise of my lead channel (which has a similar amount of gain to the powerball's channel 3) in front- more like about 85%. but it seems to sound more natural in front, so I've left it there.

If you're thinking of going rack any time in the future, you might want to just consider the rackmount version, geno- you can plug it both in front and in the loop at the same time, as far as I know.

of course, just buying two of the pedals is slightly cheaper- but the rackmount may have more processing power or something (i have no idea)...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I know the Rocktron Hush is only good in rack form, but so many people swear by their ISP pedals that it's hard to imagine how much of an improvement a rack version could be.

Where's Derek? He'd be able to help Geno better than I can...
The rack decimator actually has a slower processor than the pedal. The advantage with it is that you can put it in your rack, and it can decimate your front and and loop at the same time. of course you could do that with 2 pedals, and at a cheaper price...
Quote by electrik
The rack decimator actually has a slower processor than the pedal. The advantage with it is that you can put it in your rack, and it can decimate your front and and loop at the same time. of course you could do that with 2 pedals, and at a cheaper price...

does it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does it?

Yep. I think ISP is going to fix that soon though.
^ you'd think so...

"hmm, which one will i buy, the cheaper better one, or the dearer worse one?"

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave your right it doesn't suck tone. I can't quite describe the effect on your signal. I have tried this through the Jr., my Fender Twin, and a Spider II 2x10 and outcome is the same for all.

Mostly at lower volumes is when I find that I lose some of the presence/attack. I play mostly blues & blues rock and I am kinda critical of my tone.

I don't want to steer anyone away from this pedal as it is a very nice peice of equipment. I was just trying to inform genocide that from my experience it does change the final output of your sound. Granted the phrase "tone suckage" could have been better thought out.
^

yeah, there's definitely something going on, but i can't put my finger on what it is, lol. Plus I can't tell with my eyes closed. So it is pretty slight. I also suspect that I have my threshold up slightly high, so that might be doing it too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just for an example of when I have to shut the ISP off is playing 'I don't know anything' by Mad Season. The harmonics in the begining of the song get interpreted as feedback and get cut short.
^ yeah, that never happens to me (i don't play that song though)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you lose your presence/punch/attack maybe its just signal decay? I don't really care, I play with hot pickups anyway.

I was asking about the rack unit because I will, sometime in the future, be running TWO amps, not at once, but I hate having to fiddle around behind things and mess with wires.

I guess I could just get a pedal now and a pedal later, though. I just didn't want to have to drag around stuff when I dont really use alot of pedals/effects.. just 3 or 4.