Hi everyong. I own a mexican strat...which i absolutely love...definately the best mex ive played...and a line 6 spider II 30 watt amp...now despite what everyone says about how bad a spider II is i actually feel that it is a great practice amp with lots of options that doesnt sound bad (unless its cranked too much)...Now im lookin to upgrade to a tube amp as i plan to start giggin and i just want some of that nice tube tone...i would like to know your recommendations of tube amps (i have a budget of about $1500 Canadian). I play stuff such as chili peppers, jimi hendrix, zeppelin, white stripes, the beatles AC/DC, GUns n' roses, foofights, black sabbath, the occasional iron maiden...a big variety but i tend not to play too much in the metal category.

Thanx in advance for the help
I'd suggest Traynor, or higher end Fender's with a overdrive, or a used JCM 800.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
You could look into the Fender 65' Twin Reverb Reissue, its for sale in lots of stores for around 1500 or $1600. It has a great clean tone and good reverb, but I've heard of people having a difficult time getting a good overdrive tone.

I play the same kind of stuff as you, and I have a 1959 marshall SLP - which about half the bands you listed use. Words can't come close to describing how killer this amp is BUT! it costs a butt load, I had a friend make me mind to the exact schematic that Marshall used back in the day, and he got all the stuff at cost, and it ended up being about $1500 CAD Probably the best decision of my life

Maybe try going to a decent music store and try a bunch of amps out and see what you think.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I'd get a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb - it's extremely versitle (two channels and five modes total), 50 watts in head or combo, and basically obviously a great sound. I believe you can get a used one for around $1000 USD (dont know what that is in Canadian)
hey im interested in an amp i saw...the traynor blue 50 or something like that....how would that amps suit my musical style?
Quote by DDCOST
hey im interested in an amp i saw...the traynor blue 50 or something like that....how would that amps suit my musical style?

VERY VERY nicely. Nice cleans, and Marshall like crunch. And with a Maxon OD9 even heavier, yes get the Maxon OD 9 too, magnificent pedal.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
thanx...anyone else have experience with this traynor...and any other good overdrive pedals recommendatons would be nice too

EDIT : and also : the Traynor blue 50 comes with a footswitch? Just wondering
Last edited by DDCOST at May 14, 2006,
this isnt exatly an overdrive pedal but I think the Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal works exelent
Ibanez or Maxon Tubescreamers.
Or a Boss Blues Driver.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I own the Traynor YCV50. It does come with a footswitch, and also a nice 2-year even-if-you-break-it no questions asked warranty. It has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker (very high-end speaker). It also has an Accutronics dual-spring reverb tank, which sounds amazing. The cleans are very smooth and warm. The lead channel is very nice for 70's rock stuff (like Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC) and also gets great blues tones for bands like Cream and ZZ Top. With the gain boost engaged, the amp gets a very dark, Marshall-y voicing. This gets you bang on for tones like Foxey Lady and Purple Haze by Hendrix. It also does Guns 'N' Roses and Black Sabbath very well with the gain cranked. Amazing sounding amp. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for, and you'll have enough left to pick up a wah pedal and an overdrive pedal.

EDIT: I use a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive through my YCV50 and it sounds great.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by DDCOST

Right, please read what you wrote, and think about it for a second. No one here knows you (i'm assuming this because you have 59 posts, and we can't tell what you're musical style is because your profile didn't list anything) so how the hell could we read those 24 words you wrote and know?! You already said you were interested in it...

I don't know, sorry - I just think it was a ridiculous question. Hardly anyone around here seems to actually THINK for themselves
And Eternity in an hour
Traynor Blue.. Amazing, amazing, amazing.. SECONDED, THIRDED, FOURMILLIONTH

I know this post doesnt sound serious, but it is, get it... and possibly a Maxon OD808 Tubescreamer.
Boss SD-1 with keeley mod should be good. Or a Maxon OD9.

For an amp: Get a twin reverb. Brilliant clean tones, and should be able to get iron maiden heavy with OD. Or if you prefer a bit less good clean, and a bit better crunch, get a used JCM800.

Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

DDCOST : crap! Sorry dude, I totally didn't realize you were the threadstarter I don't know what to tell you other than it was a total misunderstanding.

why did you put my name in caps?

edit: and before didn't you say
"***************
Hey IAIN....why dont you read the damn first post

no offence

Why'd you take the "damn" out?
And Eternity in an hour
Last edited by iain4444 at May 14, 2006,
haha iain....my friend was over and he wrote it....to see if he could get a rise outta you i guess....changed it so i didnt seem like an asshole