Page 1 of 134
ncsurfer
slap out of it
561 IQ
Who else likes this awesome band? Don't judge them by the songs you hear on the radio, they are definitely their worst. Both of their albums are excellent, even their EP is good.

Plenty of time signature changes, weird riffs, and unusual and obscure guitar effects. They have an incredible drummer, Flea is their bassist for the first album (obviously amazing), and Omar has such a unique style on guitar (and he can rip.) Some people have said they don't like Cedrics voice, (I didn't at first), but once you get used to it, it definitely grows on you.

So lets hear it. If you want to get into them, I would say Deloused in the Comatorium (their first) is the most easily accessible, and if you like that get Frances the Mute, which has a little bit more jazz/latin influence. Both are really good.
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
ToBeAGooner
UG Member
128 IQ
They are a really good band. Deloused is my favorite, their was a time when I would listen to that atleast once a day. Frances the Mute has too much space wank in it for me to listen too on a regular basis, but is still a great album.
epy
Upright Bass Player
1,607 IQ
i love the mars volta, i genreally hate new music, but they are proving to be(concept wise) the next floyd.
Felas_kevin
i traded it....
617 IQ
I really enjoy Mars Volta. Its true the vocals take a while to get used to, but Cedric is an awesome singer. I dont think Mars Volta gets enough recognition. Maybe that will change after thier tour with RHCP. Anyway, Deloused is an awesome album
Its better to regret the things you did, rather than the things you didnt do.
TheWretched
Hooker With A Pen!s
32 IQ
I absolutely love The Mars Volta! First song I heard from this band was 'Televators' about three years ago and that's all it took to get me hooked. I'd also say that 'Deloused' is probably more accessible than FTM. Both albums are great though my favorite has to be Deloused. Intertiatic ESP is one of my favorite songs off the album as well as Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt.

I was pretty bummed when I was unable to see them open up for A Perfect Circle a few years back. By the time the tour came around my area they had a new opening band..The Icarus Line, I think it was. However, I did manage to catch their headlining tour last year...Wow is all I can say. Great show.
roo6339
Tanned
512 IQ
Excellent band. De-loused is one of my all time favourite albums.
Quote by crazynickman
Dont be sad roo, you pwned him!
Yertle
a fIREHOSE fAN
2,340 IQ
One of my top bands. Brilliant music to just soak in through your pours. Currently I'm favoring Deloused, but I listened to Francis non stop for quite a while. Haven't ever gotten into scab dates other than Concertina.

According to wikipedia, Omar went through a neo nazi faze before focusing on music, lol.

Can't wait to see them with the chilis. Best tour pairing EVER.

I also can't wait for the next album. Omar wrote it, but John Frusciante performs all the guitar.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Yertle
a fIREHOSE fAN
2,340 IQ
I don't think so. Flea might actually be taking bass duties like on Deloused.

Omar is composing it all so it will definatley sound like the Mars Volta, not RHCP 2. He'll probably tour as guitarist as well.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

frying nemo08
_
86 IQ
^^^i dont like that, John probally wont use all the effects that omar would, and that would be lame. because that is one of the things i love about omar, and the mars volta. if flea played bass i would have no problems with that, becuase i dont care who is playing bass for them as long as he is good.

but damn are you sure about that omar not playing thing.
utsapp89
Banned
260 IQ
If I can kill off enough people in the line, I will see them with RHCP in Atlanta this summer.
*ejaculates uncontrollably*
UtBDan
BA of Music Theory
4,564 IQ
Im seeing them twice.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Slayer566
UG Fanatic
323 IQ
The Mars Volta are great i really like the album Frances The Mute
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
GNR-4-Ever
Smooth...
152 IQ
I got them a little while back, and it takes some getting used to. Definitely nothing out there today that can really compare to them.

I got delused...apparently their best album from what I see here. What's their second best? (i liked that song "the widow" too)
Ball of Justice
everyone has AIDS!
34 IQ
TMV is killer, Tarantism is one of my favourite songs.
"you hear people say, I don't care if people are black, white, green or purple. Ah come on now, green or purple? you've got to draw the line somewere" - Mitch Headburg.
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása
1,096 IQ
Quote by GNR-4-Ever
I got delused...apparently their best album from what I see here. What's their second best?

They only have one other album, Frances The Mute.

I love TMV. Omar is just amazing.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
DraketheFake
10 IQ
i dont know about omar not playing guitar, havent heard that. i have heard rumours that frusciante is allmost a part of the band now, but their songs are based around omars guitar parts so frusciantes mabye just throwing in lead parts here an there like he did on lvia, not sure, will be interesting anyway
fleabass
UG's premier Cockney
248 IQ
on a podcast i heard that frusciante plays on the whole of the upcoming album, with parts written by omar, however i dont know if omar is playing in addition to frusciante
who are you to wave your finger......
ncsurfer
slap out of it
561 IQ
Quote by Yertle
I also can't wait for the next album. Omar wrote it, but John Frusciante performs all the guitar.

Now wait a minute. Why would that happen?? Omar is more than competent enough to play anything he writes. Lets see some sources on that, bud.
Lukeisonfire
offical Mod rock KING
3,072 IQ
Great band! Reminds me of tool and pink floyd on acid! Great weird band. Love frances the mute alot.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Yertle
a fIREHOSE fAN
2,340 IQ
Quote by ncsurfer
Now wait a minute. Why would that happen?? Omar is more than competent enough to play anything he writes. Lets see some sources on that, bud.

Quote by Wikipedia and frusciante.net

"An excerpt of a recent interview with Cedric Bixler-Zavala reveals more details on John's work with the Mars Volta on their next record," according to www.frusciante.net. "Chili Peppers fans will be excited to learn that guitarist John Frusciante has again been working with the band. 'Since Omar is producing it and recording it,' Cedric said, "he taught Frusciante all the new songs and Frusciante tracked guitars for us so Omar could sit back and listen to the songs objectively. It's great that he wants to help us and do that'."

There ya go.

bud.

Quote by crazypeanutman

DraketheFake
10 IQ
^ i doubt it means omar will be replaced though, just that fru is going to be more prominent. although it wouldnt suprise me if omar eventually did hang up the guitar, i doubt he would write parts for an album he is producing and not actually play anything.
ncsurfer
slap out of it
561 IQ
when is the new album supposed to come out?
TimiHendrix33
629 IQ
With all the talk of John playing Omar,I'll let you know that Omar plays John. In the Chili's new album,Stadium Arcadium, Omar plays the guitar on Especially in Michigan,which is my favorite guitar on the whole double album.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
FenderBender45
:n00b in disguise:
66 IQ
They are one of my favorite bands of all time. I hear they are really good live and I love the premise behind "Frances the Mute".
Yertle
a fIREHOSE fAN
2,340 IQ
Some man***** going around raping people so they get aids and die to avenge his mothers death? lol

Quote by crazypeanutman

AWA
Straight gumpin'
740 IQ
Amazing, amazing band. Anything that Cedric involves himself with is pure gold.
Wade in the water, child.
RHCPhysco8
UG's 3rd String QB
478 IQ
They seem like a good band but for me it's been quite hard to really get into their music.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
TheWretched
Hooker With A Pen!s
32 IQ
I've always thought of the Mars Volta as an aquired taste. They're not very easy to get into especially if you're not a fan of lenghty, concept-driven songs. It takes time to really fully appreciate the sound and style. It's the same thing I've always thought about Tool as well.
Incubus_SCIENCE
Inkles McGee
1,590 IQ
Quote by UtBDan
Im seeing them twice.

Only because you bought RHCP

I don't have any of their stuff, and I'm going to see them with the Chili Peppers. Any recommondations?

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
vaisatch123
Banned
20 IQ
The Mars Volta are awesome. Frances the Mute is way better that Deloused though.