Page 2 of 134
Eriatarka is by far one of their best songs, their live jams at the end of Roulette Dares are divine as well
Idiot Pineapple wrote:

I've always held the theory that the Cold War was started because of guitar tabs.

Flickr-mus Prime
i loved deloused in the comatorium but frances the mute wasnt all good i like most of it but when you get 10 minutes of silence between each song it makes you feel like youve been cheated out of your money. anyway the mars volta are one of my favourite bands
Quote by fusugar
10 minutes of silence between each song

I hope you are being sarcastic.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Quote by TheWretched
I've always thought of the Mars Volta as an aquired taste. They're not very easy to get into especially if you're not a fan of lenghty, concept-driven songs. It takes time to really fully appreciate the sound and style. It's the same thing I've always thought about Tool as well.

Good point wretched! Anyway, when i picked up Aenima, my first tool album, I was like this is really abstract weird music. So i dared myself to listen to it again and again and it grew to be my favorite album ever.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by TimiHendrex33
With all the talk of John playing Omar,I'll let you know that Omar plays John. In the Chili's new album,Stadium Arcadium, Omar plays the guitar on Especially in Michigan,which is my favorite guitar on the whole double album.

he just plays the solo.

i somewhat like mars volta. i don't think they're good at being weird, but when they just write a solid song like the mellow ones (televators, widow) or somethign like roulette dares, they're an exciting band.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
the "chorus" in roulette dares gives me the chills... flea's bass, the mars volta = perfect combo

i can't believe they're touring with the RHCP. i can't believe i'm not seeing them. they are both pretty high on my to-see list.
I saw them when Nine Inch Nails came to Vancouver, BC and TBH I wasn't really thrilled with the performance. Maybe they were overshadowed by Trent, but I didn't really get into any of the songs they played
Quote by TheWretched
I've always thought of the Mars Volta as an aquired taste. They're not very easy to get into especially if you're not a fan of lenghty, concept-driven songs. It takes time to really fully appreciate the sound and style. It's the same thing I've always thought about Tool as well.

Yeah but Tool are one of my all time favorites. And TMV seem to have a lot more styles so you'd think I'd love them more.

but oh well.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by Glen_Hansard
I hope you are being sarcastic.

i wasnt being sarcastic what is your point? you mean its not silence there are lots of wierd noises or what?
yknow what i hate?

the mars volta are a really great band. really, they are. but i hate how many of their fans are all like 'oh, i love the mars volta!!1!!1 theyre like led zeppelin!!!!11!!'

theyre nothing like led zeppelin; for one, they arent shit.

its just so annoying. theres nothing worse than having a good band stolen by idiots.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at May 18, 2006,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
yknow what i hate?

the mars volta are a really great band. really, they are. but i hate how many of their fans are all like 'oh, i love the mars volta!!1!!1 theyre like led zeppelin!!!!11!!'

theyre nothing like led zeppelin; for one, they arent shit.

its just so annoying. theres nothing worse than having a good band stolen by idiots.

uhhhhm ok, do you know what i hate? some dickhead who says that zeppelin sucks, even when he doesn't know the variety of genres zeppelin brought and what an influence zeppelin had on any classic or hard rock band! for once, i like the mars volta, but they don't bring so much variety as zeppelin did, that's why i love zeppelin more. so if you comment zeppelin again, try to listen to them first!
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
I have never heard anyone say they sound like led zeppelin, probably because they don't. Not at all. I know what you mean when you say "theres nothing worse than having a good band stolen by idiots." though; some kids think they're emo cause bixlers voice is high. Stupid emo kids, can't they tell when to stay away from a band that has talent??
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Great band. I just have a problem with Cedric Bixler-Zavala live performances. He really needs to stop jumping around like a dumb ass and actually sing the song.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
About 5 years ago I went to a RHCP show in Omaha and the Mars Volta opened for them with Queens of the Stoneage. TMV came on stage and flipped their guitars around and Cedric did a handstand. It was proboably the most intense thing I've ever seen, however, the dooch-riddled crowd booed the Mars Volta after they played. Flea then proceeded to come on stage and tell the whole of Omaha to go F*ck themselves, It was freakin awesome ( except for the dooches that booed TMV). Ironically, they didn't boo Queens of the Stoneage.

On another note I can see how people would associate TMV with Led Zeppelin based on the depth they put into their music.
yeah, i can see the comparison too. you can compare the widow with since i've been lovin you and other songs with no quarter/dazed and confused/... also the voices do match a bit, because of the high frequencies :p
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Quote by TimiHendrex33
With all the talk of John playing Omar,I'll let you know that Omar plays John. In the Chili's new album,Stadium Arcadium, Omar plays the guitar on Especially in Michigan,which is my favorite guitar on the whole double album.

Im pretty sure Omar just plays the solo.

I've heard mixed reviews about The Mars Volta live, some say they're unbelievable, some say they're not too good live.
eriatarka (the best imo), the widow, miranda that ghost isn't holy anymore (pretty long)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Cicatriz ESP, Roulette Dares, Son et lumiere+Inertiatic Esp, Cassandra Gemini, Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus,

Actually now that I think about it, they don't have one bad song.

Has anybody heard a song that they didn't like by these guys? I sure haven't.
actually, the song that i don't enjoy the most, is l'via l'viaquez, although it's fair and not bad, but i don't like it as much as the other songs
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Quote by MiniMusicMasta
Can someone give me a song i can download of theirs so i can make my mind up on whther i like them.

deffinitely get Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt, one of the most amazing songs i have ever heard
Quote by guardo alfonzo
About 5 years ago I went to a RHCP show in Omaha and the Mars Volta opened for them with Queens of the Stoneage. TMV came on stage and flipped their guitars around and Cedric did a handstand. It was proboably the most intense thing I've ever seen, however, the dooch-riddled crowd booed the Mars Volta after they played. Flea then proceeded to come on stage and tell the whole of Omaha to go F*ck themselves, It was freakin awesome ( except for the dooches that booed TMV). Ironically, they didn't boo Queens of the Stoneage.

that is freakin awesome
Quote by ncsurfer
I have never heard anyone say they sound like led zeppelin, probably because they don't. Not at all. I know what you mean when you say "theres nothing worse than having a good band stolen by idiots." though; some kids think they're emo cause bixlers voice is high. Stupid emo kids, can't they tell when to stay away from a band that has talent??

well, they do have a kinda emo pedigree, ie at the drive-in.

and no, you're right, they sound nothing like led zeppelin. but i hear people comparing them. which blows.

oh, and skydogzoso1986... ive listened to plenty of led zeppelin. they were awful. true story.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
haha, you make me laugh! okay, musical tastes are different, i can respect that you don't like them, but to say they're awful, just hurts man
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Awesome band. Their from my hometown. I used to go to their earlier local gigs back when they used to be called "At The Drive-In".
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I personally think Frances the Mute is better. The tunes overall are just more awesome. Just because the songs are longer, doesn't make the CD less accessible, it just means you have to put some effort into listening to the songs.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
I agree Francis the Mute is a better album but the in-escapable fact of the matter is that their first album is more broadly appealing....sigh
Anyone know what kind of guitar Omar plays? It thought it was an Ibanez but I've never seen any other Ibanez like it.
I love the Mars Volta, words can hardly explain it, Omar is one of my biggest Idols. I absolutely just admire his style SOOO much. Id kill to see them live.
Yeah its a Custom Ibanez AX-120.

and here is just one of his pedalboards:
Last edited by ncsurfer at May 22, 2006,
why do you need all that? it's no use, it's just for getting things too complicated. it's ok if you use 2-5 effects, but 200? it's just like john petrucci, it just ****s up your sound imo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Quote by skydogzoso1986
why do you need all that? it's no use, it's just for getting things too complicated. it's ok if you use 2-5 effects, but 200? it's just like john petrucci, it just ****s up your sound imo

NO, because he's not using ALL of them at the same time. Take Cassandra Gemini as an example, the song starts with some heavy distortotion, then it gets heavier, then it breaks down to a jazzy part, then it goes heavier again. All of those pedals come in handy when you want to have a very eclessiastic collection of sounds in one song.
yeah, that can be true, it can be handy if you know when to use what effect and how, but 200 is a lot you know!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Ok where did the number 200 come in lol. You posted 200 in your first post, then replied to it saying 200 is a lot. It's like you replied to someone else that said he has 200 effects, but it was actually yourself .

I see like 15.

Oh and look behind him. Mmmmmmmmm...........orange amps .........drool
Last edited by ncsurfer at May 23, 2006,
Hey thanks! Sweet guitar. And pedals.... and the Orange amp... and those tight pants

What kind of pickup is that? Is there a website that has all Omar's gear on it? That would make things easy on me

The general consensus seems to be that Omar's guitar is impossible to buy
Think I could get an Ibanez, and change the pickups and stuff?
Last edited by OneLaneOnly at May 23, 2006,
Quote by ncsurfer
Ok where did the number 200 come in lol. You posted 200 in your first post, then replied to it saying 200 is a lot. It's like you replied to someone else that said he has 200 effects, but it was actually yourself .

I see like 15.

Oh and look behind him. Mmmmmmmmm...........orange amps .........drool

haha, yeah, i read it on a site so it must be correct. although, it was in the studio, not live

orange amps are indeed very hot!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box