Page 3 of 134
What the hell kind of chord is that by the way? It looks like hes leaving the D open.
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
I think it could be an A minor chord, maybe with the open D string. I dont know what that's called. Am/D? or D/Am? I doubt Omar knows either.

But he's got the A note with his pinkie on the 4th string, the E note on the second string, and the C on the third string which makes Am
Last edited by OneLaneOnly at May 24, 2006,
Quote by skydogzoso1986
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4238147081770670082&q=frusciante

has anyone seen this? i think it's a fair good jam, and it doesn't get boring imo

Yeah thats an awesome video. I stumbled on it one day looking for videos of john frusciante, and I was like hey, these are three of my favorite musicians jamming. Good stuff. Theres another one on youtube or google video from the same session.
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Mars Volta has the potential to make a great record, they just have to understand what they do well and what they don't. People said about some double albums, oh you could have made a perfect single album. Frances the Mute is the extreme example...you could have cut an album half that length and not even lost a single song. Just cut the noise. What in god's name do you need those additional two minutes for at the end of The Widow? It's a mindblowing song, great vocals, lyrics, guitar solo, trumpet, organ. They're incredibly talented musicians, but they really need to take a hard look at the final product if they want to be great in my book.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
the widow is their worst song. and the ending isnt bad... but i agree that its a bit long. it shoulda been like 30 secs.
widow is faaaaaaar from their worst song. it's certainly not chaotic like a lot of the other stuff, more traditional structure, but the song itself is superior to most. same with televators. they're very good at writing those kinds of songs.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
I only have Deloused, and I was wondering: is it worth getting Frances? Or is Deloused better?
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
^
Mmmmk, . Thanks.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
I personally like Frances the Mute better, but it depends whether or not you like structured songs more, because if you do, keep deloused.
Son Et Lumiere + Interliatic Esp = Teh win.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Is there only Cedric and Omar in mars volta ??!?!?!

theres jon theordore, (virtuso drummer) juan alberete or something (base) and ikey ownes (keboard) plus a load of sax, clarinet and flute players making it about a 9 peice sometimes. but omar and cedric are the main creative force i think

btw, theres rumours the new album will be titled 'Amputechture' not sure of the release date, august 24th i read somewhere. production by Rich Costey, art work done by 'storm'. theres also a frances the mute remix album in the works and a dvd
I saw the Mars Volta at a concert last year, I was only there for System Of A Down.

I dont know about them yet, they seemed pretty trippy to me but i couldn't understand what they we're saying. sooo yeah what album should I buy if i were to go ahead and try to listen to them?
well seeing as how there are only two albums, i would say buy both

de-loused in the comatorium is spacier/trippier and has a lot of really solid songs on it
Frances the mute is just...bigger, longer despite having 5 songs.

either way you win
i just got into mars volta and i downloaded frances the mute and de-loused but im gonna buy them both
Well, I've decide that I like ATD-I more, but I still adore TMV.
Wade in the water, child.
do any of you guys know what scales Omar uses primarily... I just got noobed for making a thread in the wrong section
The Mars Volta is one of the most underrate bands in my opinion. When most people don't understand is the Mars Volta is Omar Rodriguez Lopez and Cedric Bixlar Zavala. Omar writes ALL the music, Cedric writes vocals and vocal melodies. The rest of the band can be considered the Mars Volta group. They take no part in writing, but they are amazing musicians (favorite right now is Juan Alderate). Many people are turned off when first listening to them. Listeners cant just listen to a song or two, it takes the entire album to recognize the skill in this band and in their music.
I just got the Handsome Boy Modeling School CD "White People" and it has a awesome song on there with Mar Volta and RZA from the Wu Tang clan. Got me more interested in MV actually.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Quote by R0CKER1220
Neither did Hendrix.

both knew theory even if they couldnt put it into conventional terms if they didnt have a teacher. Omar uses the tritone, a lot of Egyptian scales (its really not that clever if you figure out one solo and put it into a box, you have the same box he uses for all of his solos), and tries to avoid simple powerchord based things. Jimi used the blues scale, used quite a few circle progressions, and knew his way to modulate.

Even if they couldn't read sheet music or both say, "derr derr I dont know music theory derr derr"...

they know and knew theory.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Liam Alan
I just got the Handsome Boy Modeling School CD "White People" and it has a awesome song on there with Mar Volta and RZA from the Wu Tang clan. Got me more interested in MV actually.

send that song like now please
Quote by Yertle
Omar wrote it, but John Frusciante performs all the guitar.

Nope, John plays rythm, omar plays lead.

-chris-
<DInkyDaisy>I would so have sex with tauket now.
<SpacedOut>I'd kill to have tauket naked in a bath of warm milk right now.
<Blnkgttrst>Oh Chris, you're what the Spaniards call "El Terrible"
<Jallas>chris you're hot in bed
Saw 'em live last night, Freakin' intense. but it really pissed me off when people said, "that band sucked" because they had no idea what TMV were all about with the super long improvisationals.
Quote by llamaloser
Omar knows nothin about music theory

You know nothing about living with a meaningful purpose.

If he didn't know ANYTHING about music theory. How does he write some of the most amazing songs in modern music. Do you think Televators just appeard out of thin air? And I'm sure Take The Veil... is so ill-concieved.
YOU'LL NEVER SILENCE THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS
So much angst in this thread.

The Mars Volta WERE great. Deloused is one of my favourate albums ever, Frances is awesome, Scabdates is dodgey and Amputecture is just a bit ****.

Why is Jon gone?! You fools, never kick out someone as gifted as that!

atd-i > Mars Volta

PLease make the next album good
I think Cedric dropped the mic about 20 times cause he was throwing it around so much. He also had a milk crate on his head for a bit. So yeah, it was a good show...crazy kids.

I love the Mars Volta.
The mars Volta are one of the three current band I like. Their EP-Tremulant is great just got it, Get it!
Tommorow never knows

Member of the "I Can't (and Refuse To) Shred" Club. PM joshsirjoshules to join.

Member of the Grateful DeadFan Club. PM deadhead313 to join

Put and end to Racism!
Quote by utsapp89
If I can kill off enough people in the line, I will see them with RHCP in Atlanta this summer.
*ejaculates uncontrollably*

Too bad I was there.
Concerning the inspiration for the Amputechture artwork:

you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.