Page 4 of 134
^I never knew it was anything like that. They copied the people almost perfectly.

Thanks for that tidbit!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
There's an actual artist, named Jeff Jordan who did the artwork. Not for the album, it's just his art that Omar and Cedric picked for the album.
YOU'LL NEVER SILENCE THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS
Yeah the artwork for De loused is ten times better, in my opinion, then any other artwork in all of the Volta albums. Frances is very ere and cool and Amputechture is a bit to toony for me but still has alot of taste to it. lol. Thats pretty much all I have to say on that subject.
Regardless, I think every album artwork has gone with how the album sounds...in my opinion.
I definitely think so. To me, Amputechture sounds like it has that kind of Egyptian / Arabic wasteland feel, yknow? The artwork kind of reminds me of a cursed excavation or something; digging up a mummy or something, except it's a 'Big Mutant.'

De-Loused has my favorite artwork.
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
Hmmmm I haven't gotten into Amputechture much. Although I am in love with De-loused and Frances.
Quote by Liam Alan
I just got the Handsome Boy Modeling School CD "White People" and it has a awesome song on there with Mar Volta and RZA from the Wu Tang clan. Got me more interested in MV actually.

Yeah, it's a cool song.
Quote by mrFood
De-Loused has my favorite artwork.
Ditto.
I jumped when I, after a few months, noticed the boy in the door.

TMV are... well, amazing. I get a bit tired when I try to listen to all of Frances The Mute, though.
Frances is the easiest for me to listen to.. Im having a hard time with De-loused.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
They were ok when they were live. I dunno, not really my style. Someone pissed in a bottle and threw it on stage when they were performing. That was funny
Quote by lateraluspiral
Frances is the easiest for me to listen to.. Im having a hard time with De-loused.

Heh, and I find Deloused to be the easiest to get into. It took me a while longer to really get into Frances. And honestly, I'm having a bit of a hard time digesting Amputechture...then again, I really haven't given it the time of day.
Quote by lateraluspiral

I find both easy to listen to. I prefer de-loused though.
Quote by Gustavatron.
Ditto.
I jumped when I, after a few months, noticed the boy in the door.

TMV are... well, amazing. I get a bit tired when I try to listen to all of Frances The Mute, though.

I usually can, not during school though...I find it the hardest to listen Amputechture all the way through. With Tetra and Mecca being 11 and 16 minutes respectively it's kinda repetitive, and then you hit Asilos Magdelena which I have to be in the mood for, and then VISCERA EYES/DAY OF THE BAPHOMETS/EL CIERVO VULNERADO...the best 3 songs on the album.
I'm gonna try to convince my band to jam on Viscera Eyes. I'm pretty sure our vocals can't sing that especially the spanish parts, but do any drummers know if this song is hard. Pretty much all their drums are rediculous but could he cut corners?
Well, the clock says it's time to close now
I guess I'd better go now
I'd really like to stay here all night.
i saw them live, openning for RHCP. when they played songs, i didn't think they were bad... but they had several annoying, non-coherent jams that were just irritating. They just got lost in the effects, not enough focus on the actual instruments. Very dissonant sounding. As i said though, there songs weren't bad, actually had some melodic structure too them.
Yeah Im disturbed about their live stuff too. Btw deloused is the easiest to get into IMO.
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Very few of you seem to like Amputechure (at least from what I can infer), why is that?
Quote by lateraluspiral
Very few of you seem to like Amputechure (at least from what I can infer), why is that?

Well, for me it seems like they were just trying too hard to be "weird" and "out there", instead of concentrating more on the music, while on deloused and frances, their sound just came effortlessly along with the music. Deloused and Frances also feel more complete than Amputecture, which just feels like it's missing something.
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Mars Volta kick ass, though it seems their albums got progressively worse. Frances was ok, and Amputechture sucked. De-Loused FTW.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
Everyone thinks they're so freethinking and individual because they think they hate Amputechture, it's not cool. You know it's a ****ing great album. So just accept it.
I love The Mars Volta's first two albums. They pretty much singlehandedly revived a type of progressive rock that hasn't been heard since the '70s. But thier music also sounds fresh. But having said that, I've heard some from the third album and it didn't really do anything for me.
i liked their first release....they got a little annnoying after a while and they were alot better when they were At the Drive in even if their lineup changed a little bit

----------
help me win the MARIANAS TRENCH contest! clickage belowwww!
Amputechture features some of their best work (namely Vicarious Atonement, Tetragrammaton, and Meccamputechture), but also some of their worst (El Ciervo Vulnerado). It just doesn't work as well as a full album as the other two.
So, I saw this on the TMV forums but thought it would be cool to bring here; what do you think the story is behind the first two albums?
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by ncsurfer
Well, for me it seems like they were just trying too hard to be "weird" and "out there", instead of concentrating more on the music, while on deloused and frances, their sound just came effortlessly along with the music. Deloused and Frances also feel more complete than Amputecture, which just feels like it's missing something.

Hmm. I loved the 'out there' feel. But I dont like how Amputechure ends on such a crappy(dull) song. Oh well

What are everyones hopes for their next album(s..)?
Quote by lateraluspiral

I'm glad people have finally seen the light.

First, it's not a bad album.
Compared to most crap out there, it's pretty damn good.

But for Mars Volta, it's just boring, unoriginal, and ...well, lacks any reason for the listener to listen to the album more than once.

It seems like they just went into the studio one day, recorded it and sent it out.

Like they didn't really think about changing themselves or seeing how else they could re-invent their selves or anything, which I'm pretty sure is/was the whole point behind Mars Volta.
Quote by cagnius
So, I saw this on the TMV forums but thought it would be cool to bring here; what do you think the story is behind the first two albums?

De-Loused is the story of Cerpin Taxt, who is their friend Julio Venegas. The story is he slips into a coma and is whisked away on a marvelous adventure that ends in his death. I say this because it's an incredibly long and complex story and you should look up the story book and read it your damn self.

They didn't write a story book for Frances, but I'm certain it's the diary that the late Jeremy Michael Ward found in a car in the parking lot. Neat stuff.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

Quote by ss311

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
Quote by VoltanEchoes
De-Loused is the story of Cerpin Taxt, who is their friend Julio Venegas. The story is he slips into a coma and is whisked away on a marvelous adventure that ends in his death. I say this because it's an incredibly long and complex story and you should look up the story book and read it your damn self.

They didn't write a story book for Frances, but I'm certain it's the diary that the late Jeremy Michael Ward found in a car in the parking lot. Neat stuff.

I think you got me wrong.

What I meant was what was your interpretation of the concepts behind the albums (by this I was more referring to Frances, as there are literally hundreds of theories behind the story and what it represents etc).
I thought Mars Volta was pretty good. Then, i saw them live. Me and a couple friends can make a garage band and jam better than those R-tards. They where great when they actually played the songs, but their jamming sessions where the gayest things in the world. The worst of it all, half the show they spent jamming. OWE MY EARS!
I downloaded some of their stuff the other day, and I'm having a hard time getting into it. There's just too many effects in there for me, it makes one huge audio mess, in my own opinion. Though it could be because I'd heard so much great stuff about them they turned out to not be... quite what I expected.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by dinkydaisy
I downloaded some of their stuff the other day, and I'm having a hard time getting into it. There's just too many effects in there for me, it makes one huge audio mess, in my own opinion. Though it could be because I'd heard so much great stuff about them they turned out to not be... quite what I expected.

Listen to The Widow to get you started, or L'via L'viaquez. They're verging on the mainstream.

Trust me, once you do get into the, its worth it.
Quote by dinkydaisy

Listen to "Inertiatic ESP"

Best TMV song ever.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

Quote by ss311

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
Anyone in this thread who has compained about things such as, the noise after the widow, and unnecessary noise throughout Frances the Mute, **** YOU. Not everything has to be sing-along follow the bouncing ****ing ball. Not everything has to be able to be covered by a band. Its them being creative, doing what they do best. You dont like it? Dont ****ing listen to it.
Quote by BTGroove
Anyone in this thread who has compained about things such as, the noise after the widow, and unnecessary noise throughout Frances the Mute, **** YOU. Not everything has to be sing-along follow the bouncing ****ing ball. Not everything has to be able to be covered by a band. Its them being creative, doing what they do best. You dont like it? Dont ****ing listen to it.

Care to tell us what the **** is wrong with you that you can't take criticism that isn't even directed towards you? Do you tell people who don't like cream in their coffee to go **** themselves as well?

It's called an opinion.
And mine is that TMV are a great band with a very annoying habit of having fans who think they're the only band in the world who make music that's sophisticated, and that any criticism is because people don't understand their music or don't have the attention span for anything other than pop tunes. Guess what buddy, you're wrong. I have several albums that are way harder to digest than anything TMV has ever done, but with those albums i feel as if my efforts get rewarded and that's usually not the case with TMV's more self-indulgent work. I don't think it's what they're best at at all.
I applaud experimentalism because you can't make progress without it, but adding weird noises to your record is hardly revolutionary... the Beatles did that 40 years ago. And in many cases, i feel as if it doesn't really add anything other than a few more minutes.
Quote by terriblyill
I thought Mars Volta was pretty good. Then, i saw them live. Me and a couple friends can make a garage band and jam better than those R-tards. They where great when they actually played the songs, but their jamming sessions where the gayest things in the world. The worst of it all, half the show they spent jamming. OWE MY EARS!

I saw them live and I loved it. It was cool to see something so different for a change. The only negative part was that the amps were a bit too loud, so it was pretty painful on the ears. When the Chili Peppers came on after them it was a lot quiter in comparision.
Everyone that I saw at the Volta/RHCP show was wearing a f*cking Chili Peppers shirt.

Blech.

I think they're getting a lot of anti-fans now because RHCP attracts such a wide fanbase, that people that have never heard them aside from the radio will go ahead and see them. That's just the kind of people that like RHCP. I mean, there are intelligent Chili Peppers fans, but I think the problem is that a lot of the crowd they attract isn't INTELLIGENT enough to comprehend or absorb TMV's music. I mean, most Volta fans are the type that paint, read Kurt Vonegut, and enjoy intellectual discussions, whereas on the other hand, you could find people from ANY god-given stereotype that listen to the Chili Peppers. So, a lot of negative energy towards the Volta guys from musically challenged radioheads that can't spell "intellectual" in the first plac go and see the tour, and come back saying things like "eW TH4t v00lta bAnD wuzz SuXx". Yeah.
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
eW TH4t v00lta bAnD wuzz SuXx
Kidding.
But on a certain level I understand people why are put off by them sometimes. I've never seen them live, but everything I have heard from them live wasnt too great. Their style is just too crazy to make into a good life performance. Theres too much going on at once and it seems like it becomes too sloppy.
They seem like very much an album band, and not a live band.
the mars volta are the best modern rock band IMO. and i have been listening to RHCP all my life. they are great. i saw them before i knew who they were. that was a great show.
Quote by mrFood
Everyone that I saw at the Volta/RHCP show was wearing a f*cking Chili Peppers shirt.

Ha, I wasn't! Actually I was wearing a Rush shirt, but I did buy a Mars Volta shirt as well.
It is true that The Mars Volta isn't that good live. They are much better on the album, simply because there is so much going on in the recordings that they just can't reproduce live. Cedric is quite entertaining though. When I saw them in St. Paul, he ran off stage into the crowd on started crawling under people and throwing people's drinks, and he eventually picked up a huge garbage can and threw it into the air. It was pretty sweet. Not to mention that at the end of the Chili Pepper's set Omar came back out and RHCP minus Anthony played an amazing improv jam for what was at least a good fifteen minutes. But, yeah, TMV has too many musical components in their albums to effectively reproduce their sound live.
-Fender American Series Stratocaster
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Rock, Jazz, Blues, and Funk