Well, I had a local band over today and had them goof off for a while, and this is the first time that I've tried to record using a 2 channel mixer (usually I borrow a 24 track or something) Anyway, after laying down an excellent drum track with a couple of SM57's, we moved on to guitar and after that was down, we played it. About a 1/4 of the way through, the guitar came off beat of the drums. At first we figured it was a mistake, but it happened again, and again, and again, and with bass, vocal's and guitar. I'm told this is latency, which I figured, but never experienced. Is there anything that can be done to stop this from happening?

Oh, and is there any way to keep vocals from sounding so grainy? I figured a dedicated sound card, but I have only seen a couple with XLR inputs, the rest are just 1/8 inch, which ends up killing anything quality wise.
So post away, what do you guys think we could do to kill latency?
Buy an external sound card. Also, I trust you are not using the SM57 for vox? Get the 58 for that if you are
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
Audacity 1.3 beta, and I DID use a SM 58 for my vocal mic, but it got a short in it when we were recording, so I used the nady SP1 mic that came with the 20 dollar mic stand from MF.

And after thinking about it, I think I need a digital converter, IE a Firebox or something along those lines, go from the main out of the mixer to a USB input on my computer, but I' really like to know if thats the case, so I don't have to dump any more money then I have to into this.
Last edited by 120AC at May 14, 2006,
Yeah, audacity does have a small time delay on recording. The good news is that you can use the time shift tool to correct it.

It's a pain in the ass, but it could be worse. You could be using cubase

EDIT:

If you're looking to invest more in your recording, I think that ProTools would be a sound investment.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at May 14, 2006,
whats the specs of your pc? it could be that your doing too much on a rubbish pc?
i would say cubase is 50 billion time less latency than audacity.Its usually not the software thats causing latency,its the computer or the soundcard or both.Invest in a little bit more ram for your computer and a firebox or something.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
i woulnt agree wit that totally. it is the hardware that causes low latency but cubase 3 has ways of going aroiund it. audicity is like a home use software. it has terrible sound quality compared to cubase
Yeah, get CUBASE SX 3. The Best For HOME USE.
Other side track editing could be Adobe Audition.
Also, with cubase i use all the VOXINGO VST Plugins.

try www.projectw.org.
site is down right now but it is the best for this stuff.

CUBASE: http://rapidshare.de/files/11007563....part1.rar.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11006670....part2.rar.html

VST PLUGINS: http://forumz.ws/showthread.php?t=3...ighlight=Cubase
or search for 'best recording program' and go to that thread. i have posted working links there
befoe you spend any money on the bigger software packages try them out. most music stores that sell the stuff with have some demo rigs set up. make sure you pick one you like the "feel" of. It sounds weird, but it is true. I personally like the feel of Sonar over cubase or pro tools, but i know others that are the complete opposite.
Quote by tabber666
Buy an external sound card. Also, I trust you are not using the SM57 for vox? Get the 58 for that if you are

It won't make a difference if you use the SM57 or SM58 for voclas they both have the exact same polar pattern. I get latency problems when I have to overdub on top of a lot of tracks. Try muting out any tracks you dont need when recording. And deleting any plugins you may have already set up.
if u use cubase,
1) it will automatically detect latency and then stop the recording.
2) u have an option to freeze the tracks. so u can freeze tracks with plugins on them and u'll not have to worry boout it anymore
i would suggest cubase. no probs there

if u use cubase,
1) it will automatically detect latency and then stop the recording.
2) u have an option to freeze the tracks. so u can freeze tracks with plugins on them and u'll not have to worry boout it anymore

Yeah, get CUBASE SX 3. The Best For HOME USE.
Other side track editing could be Adobe Audition.
Also, with cubase i use all the VOXINGO VST Plugins.

audicity is like a home use software. it has terrible sound quality compared to cubase

I agree, but
Go digital... it will eliminate ALL of your problems.

Audacity and Cubase are all ****... Get sonar 4(producer edition) or pro-tools (there is a free version of pro-tools online).

if you don't have the money, save up for it... don't even waste your time recording with poor software. get a hardware mixer if you cant afford the software.
Last edited by silentdud at May 19, 2006,
Sorry my friend, the idea of this is to put me through high school, after an unfourtunate divorce and car accident, my family has no money to spend on a car, gas, or anything. So thats up to me, I work as much as I can, but its getting me nowhere fast. Spending 1400 on a digital mixer would be great if I wanted to really go for it, but I want to teach for a living, recording my own stuff will be a side job. I'll try out cubase.

Oh, and way to put the dots in the URL for the torrent...
Last edited by 120AC at May 19, 2006,
I would seriously advise Pro Tools over Cubase.

It's over three times better.

I think you can get it in both formats too...
Now I really wish I could try this stuff out, for some reason something in my setup isn't co-operating. Usually I don't have to really bump up the volume to hear anything, but now for some reason I really gotta crank it to even get something on the screen, and thats all pure grainy goodness, so I gotta figure out the problem.
Thanks for all the help though