Page 1 of 2
so i have been playing guitar for 4 yrs,but latley i have been getting really depressed because i feel like i suk and cant get inspired enough to write a song,do u kno of anything that would help inspire me?
your once gentle words are bleeding from my eyes ,screams of terror now fill my every breath...
Quote by VoodooMagic_69
go emo

ummm thats kindof what im already labeld as...
your once gentle words are bleeding from my eyes ,screams of terror now fill my every breath...
You'll get out of it...or you'll fall into a manhole and die a lonely, lonely death. It's all good.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
leave your house for a day (like a whole day, 12 am to 12 am) and just watch people.

play the people game and imagine a perfect strangers life, look at them and think of their name, work, problems, etc. and try to put yourself in their shoes (even though, you're probably not right)

damn emo kids.
Always a Revolution
Last edited by mysexybass at May 13, 2006,
Listen to some music you love, try and re-visit the things that made you start playing in the first place, jam with a friend, learn a new song, stop putting yourself down!, try meditation to help you feel better and more comfortable with yourself in your present state, theres a million different things you could do.

Voodoo magic: don't post if you're going to be a tool please.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
lol. listen to a completely new type of music with awesome guitar that will inspire you to get out of your slump and work to get better....michael angelo batio is always a good motivator for me....
Try playing songs from a different genre of music than you do now. If you play emo or whatever, try playin some blues, jazz, metal, etc. Reach out to different genres.
Quote by madbasslover
you've just received the first official Madbasslover's Seal of Asskickery.

Cas Appreciator #4. PM Skeptopotamus to Appreciate.

Private Donut of the Red VS Blue Club. pm fret13 to join
write about whats going on with your life, or listen to some new music and stuff dont just sit around moping
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Oh! You could learn to lucid dream, check it out a wikipedia. It can be/is wonderful for creativity and feeling good about yourself. I've been doing it for maybe 3 months and I love it. I think its probably the coolest thing I've EVER learned about aside from music
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
cut yourself and sing about how its everyone elses fault. hey, it works for simple plan doesnt it?
Go out on a walk, hang out with friends, just go easy on the guitar playing. If you get inspired casually then roll with it, but if you don't song writing isn't for you. No need pushing something you're not meant to do.
Last edited by NotAJock2Day at May 13, 2006,
Quote by whiterabbit
cut yourself and sing about how its everyone elses fault. hey, it works for simple plan doesnt it?

hahaha thats kind of funny but they dont cut them selves they just sing about how its thier dads fault.they are to preppy for cutting damn pansies
lol
Quote by NotAJock2Day
Go out on a walk, hang out with friends, just go easy on the guitar playing. If you get inspired casually then roll with it, but if you don't song playing isn't for you. No need pushing something you're not meant to do.

true , i can play like every stringed instrument but i cant write a song its frustrating but ur right maybe i should lay off
Quote by emokidsdelirium
true , i can play like every stringed instrument but i cant write a song its frustrating but ur right maybe i should lay off

Naw man, don't give up. Keep playing. One day inspiration will come. I'm still waiting for it to hit me. What I suggest is listen to a song and improvise along with it, or even harmonize. I do this with Avenged Sevenfold and Iron Maiden mainly. It's inspiring and it helps me come up with riffs every once in a while.
I think you shouldnt force a song out let it flow dont just write random ****e just do watever and eventually youll find some sort of inspiration also well listen to more music that is nostalgesic rather than about bad stuff that might help
when i feel depressed and alone........i pray and read my bible

then i shred
Maybe you should get a band or someone to jam with if you don't already. It might help you draw inspiration from them.
my advice? move far far away from what you're playing right now and try writing a song in a different genre. or maybe even try a different tuning... or try playing piano or something.

just don't force it. it's like trying really really hard to remember something... as soon as you stop trying really hard to remember it, it just sorta comes to you out of nowhere.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
moderation is key, dont do too much of one thing, take a break for a week to find yourself and come back, that helps a lot.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by forty-six_and_2
Maybe you should get a band or someone to jam with if you don't already. It might help you draw inspiration from them.

i have a friend and like every time he plays somthing im like i suk so it doesnt really help.i try really hard but i cant stop comparing myself with him.
Quote by emokidsdelirium
i have a friend and like every time he plays somthing im like i suk so it doesnt really help.i try really hard but i cant stop comparing myself with him.

you have a very negative attitude. instead of saying "he's better than me, I quit" why don't you say, "he's better than me... I'm gonna ask him how he does that and practice until I can do it too."

but it doesn't matter how good you get, someone will always be better than you.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Then don't compare yourself with him. Just say 'Let's jam in G' or something like that, jam in G and just enjoy playing. I mean I was jamming with my drummer yesterday borrowing otehr bandmates' guitars and he was doing this awesome riff and I was harmonising with a three or four note solo over teh top but it sounded good and it was fun. Have fun playing music, songwriting will come.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I used to do that too, the comparison thing. It used to REALLY get me down, to the point where I wouldn't touch my guitars for a week at a time.

I posted here about it, and some UG'ers kicked my whiny ass into gear. I started practicing, doing some dedicated work, and I saw myself getting better. That's all it really took for me. Sure, there are people who've been playing half as long as me who can play material I won't be able to touch for a few years. It used to bother me a lot. Some people have a talent with picking up things like musical instruments really quickly. I'm not one of those people, but I don't think I'm particularly slow either. I just need to practice at it more than a "natural". I am so much more able to appreciate others' playing now; it's great! All you have to do is let it inspire you rather than let it get you in a funk. I see a great guitar player play something cool and I think to myself "that looks tough as balls, but I'll be playing guitar for the rest of my life. I'll get there someday, because I'll keep working." Religious people don't get sad when they think about Jesus; they don't say "I'll never be as good a person as him, so screw it, I'm killing myself." They use his example to inspire them to do good in the world.

/end if inspirational rant

So just don't give up. The only person you compete against is yourself, and as corny as this sounds: if it takes discipline to acquire, then the skills you've gained aren't the only thing you've gained, eh?
Quote by powerhalf
I used to do that too, the comparison thing. It used to REALLY get me down, to the point where I wouldn't touch my guitars for a week at a time.

I posted here about it, and some UG'ers kicked my whiny ass into gear. I started practicing, doing some dedicated work, and I saw myself getting better. That's all it really took for me. Sure, there are people who've been playing half as long as me who can play material I won't be able to touch for a few years. It used to bother me a lot. Some people have a talent with picking up things like musical instruments really quickly. I'm not one of those people, but I don't think I'm particularly slow either. I just need to practice at it more than a "natural". I am so much more able to appreciate others' playing now; it's great! All you have to do is let it inspire you rather than let it get you in a funk. I see a great guitar player play something cool and I think to myself "that looks tough as balls, but I'll be playing guitar for the rest of my life. I'll get there someday, because I'll keep working." Religious people don't get sad when they think about Jesus; they don't say "I'll never be as good a person as him, so screw it, I'm killing myself." They use his example to inspire them to do good in the world.

/end if inspirational rant

So just don't give up. The only person you compete against is yourself, and as corny as this sounds: if it takes discipline to acquire, then the skills you've gained aren't the only thing you've gained, eh?

dude that was so kool ,what u just said i never really though of it that way...thats kind of the point im at now likw i dont play my guitar for a week or my bass for a month violin for 2 weeks,and when i do finally pick them up i play for 5 mins and start feeling like ****.even my piano i can truly say i don think i have played for 5 or 6 months
Last edited by emokidsdelirium at May 14, 2006,
5 or 6 months...are you sure you actually want to play guitar or are you only doing it because your 'mate' does....dont be pretentious, do what you want, dont care what anyone else thinks...powerhalf, your right on so many levels
Quote by Mr. Walrus
5 or 6 months...are you sure you actually want to play guitar or are you only doing it because your 'mate' does....dont be pretentious, do what you want, dont care what anyone else thinks...powerhalf, your right on so many levels

it isnt like that at all my friend isnt even my really good friend.im obsessed with music since i was like 10(which was before i even met him) so its not somthing im doing just to fit in ,im doing it because its the only thing that i really give a **** about .its also the only way i express my feelings.
Think about it... everyone should have at least one guitarist who is totally critical about their playing and is way better than you. I thought I was good until I met my friend Matt, who played with satriani and Stevie ray vaughn and he kicked my ass in gear...

A man is only given two choices in life: 1. to put his head down in shame or 2. to do something about the issue

In 2 months I learned every position of every major scale mode in every key. I learned harmonic minor and melodic minor modes as well as loads of theory.

I went from being a guitarist who just played what he felt to a kid who is now in a production company sponsored band. You can too, just buy my video(jk). here is your routine for the next month:

1. get this book called: Guitar Mode Encyclopedia (ISBN 0-7390-1804-3) its 20 bucks

read the first 20 pages on theory and structure(dont even pick up the guitar when reading this... its only 20 pages and it will super-cede the guitar and give you a greater understanding of music as a whole.

practice the 6 main positions of Ionian every day up the neck in the order it says and when you have that down move on to Dorian etc until you finish all of the modes of the major scale and know them by heart.

2. go get a guitar chord encyclopedia and learn the structure of chords and how they are made.... there is usually an introduction to this in the beginning of any decent encyclopedia.

3. Practice all of this to a metronome and on steal string acoustic and you will fly on electric... you will also be supremely confident when you pick up an instrument in the future...

as you mess with scales you will realize that you can write things with them... you will also start to notice that if you can master the scale that a song is in you can master any song.
Last edited by silentdud at May 14, 2006,
A bit of alchohol or pot keeps the creativity flowing...

I made about 20 cool riffs out of a 3.00$ wine cooler.
The best way I've found of practising isn't to sit down, practice, and do nothing else.

I like to sit down, pick up my guitar, grab a book or boot up the computer... Maybe put on some music... And just relax with the guitar.

It's very difficult to hold a guitar and not even try to play a little bit. Even if it's just messing around with the G-chord or looking up and trying a song you like.

I think that every guitarist needs 3 other guitarists in their life;

the one who plays better than them,
the one that they aspire to be,
and the one that they can share things with.

I'm lucky to have friends around who've played guitar, and found my enthusiasm for it uplifting. So even if I'm playing at a lower level, I still feel good, because I know that they're playing because of me.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
you have a very negative attitude. instead of saying "he's better than me, I quit" why don't you say, "he's better than me... I'm gonna ask him how he does that and practice until I can do it too."

but it doesn't matter how good you get, someone will always be better than you.

unlesss you are micheal angelo baito.
Quote by bass_newb37
unlesss you are micheal angelo baito.

In which case, you really should say "I suck, I should quit"
Just know: there'll always be people that are better than you at anything. Hell, a lot of these respected guitarists aren't as 'godly' as people make them. A lot of them aren't anything special, it's just the way they express themselves though music that makes all the difference. Look at it this way: most of us can agree Billie Joe Armstong, Kurdt Cobain, or Jack White are not good guitarists. Then why the hell do they have so many people idolozing them? It's because they can make kids feel like they've got something to relate to. So get in there and write music that can relate to the crowds. I'd write power ballads and all the chicks will love you. Of course guys might question your sexuality, but that's ok because it's a free country and people are supposed to be accepting. Uhh yeah I dunno how that's supposed to help in anyway but that's my plan, except instead of chicks loving me guys should...errr...damn my plan won't work. Ok nevermind.
Ummm...I can't advise much because I'm not very inspired either and I don't feel confident about my skills. Of course to boost your confidence, you can always compare yourself to someone really awful. That always makes me feel a little bit better. I'm so pathetic.
I tried somethign yesterday, maybe this might help you in some way. I closed my eyes and sat there in silence with my guitar and played when I felt ready. It was pretty cool. I forgot the riff though but it was cool that I got something.
Whatever you do though, just don't give up. I'm sure most of those super amazing guitarists felt uninspired at some point in their life but they didn't give up. Who knows...you could be the next EVH or even the next Vai or Satriani!
get high, then try playing something.
It'll make you feel great, and if you can't play anything still, you'll be so high, it won't matter to you.
J/K
Quote by emokidsdelirium
so i have been playing guitar for 4 yrs,but latley i have been getting really depressed because i feel like i suk and cant get inspired enough to write a song,do u kno of anything that would help inspire me?

Totally forget about every problem you have in life, and spend at least a day just walking around randomnly, taking in scenery and observing people and their busy lives.
It also will help you find a sense of inner peace.
forty-six_and_2 is about the only person here offering good advice, imo, but he's offering great advice.

In all honesty, it sounds like you have depression, an all-too-fimiliar visitor for myself as well. I've gotten over it for the most part. I'm not sure if it actually helps (I never did it, myself), but you may want to consider telling your parents that you always feel down and unmotivated, maybe see professional help.

I wish the best for ya. Just keep playing guitar, keep on keeping on.

Depressed? Try ritalin.
Need an ego/self-esteem boost. Pick up your spelling & grammar grade to an A.
Need motivation: Perform -- even if it scares the hell out of you.

Ed: The ritalin thing isn't a joke. If you're seriously depressed you need to seek help. There's no other way to handle it, there's no other way to even try and deal with it while it's happening. Depression kills; it kills your ego, it kills your motivation, it kills your creativity, and ultimately it kills you.

Anybody dealing with serious depression -- get help.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Last edited by Corwinoid at May 15, 2006,
i think if you have a goal in playing, its easier to achieve soemthing and to improve ur skills... also playing different stuff could help, not the same exercises everyday (well there are some exercises that u really have to practice every day, but the rest of the time u should practice different things to keep a variety in ur daily exercise)

was that complicated enough :P ?
Page 1 of 2