Do you do some unorthodox things when you practice? Like techniques you won't find in a conventional guitar book...

I...

-Practice Blindfolded.
-Learn new songs in upstrokes, full speed before alternate picking them.
-20 Day Method (learn songs at 20 BPM less than full speed then increase metronome speed by 1 each day)
-Play on a tredmill (simulate moving around on stage)
-Sing while on my back so I breath properly
-Play 1-2-3 licks with my 2-3-4 fingers...

What about you guys?
Last edited by NotAJock2Day at May 14, 2006,
lol, thats some pretty cool stuff. i dont do anything unusual except i tried doing my scales with my eyes closed the other day. ill have to try that stuff.
The tredmill sounds pretty clever. I always stand when i play. Sitting make my elbow move closer to my body, messing up movement.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
I like to sing on my back as well, but mainly in the garage. I get some killer acoustics. I also like to walk down the street annoying everyone while playing the guitar.
I always sit laydback since I'm ussually too lazy to stand, I never look at my hands or anything wich is quite funny. The drummer of one of the bands I'm in said once that when I'm playing I'm looking at everything in the room mexcept my hands oor the guitar:P
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Singing on your back is the greates signing practice possible basically.

Pile books and stuff on your lower chest and stomach and try to hold them in the air while you sing (and hold the note as long as you can). Killer stuuf.
Grant me the power to change what I can.
Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.
Grant me the wisdom to tell the difference.

"I had a hat once.
It was a very fine hat..."
Quote by Jakkle
Singing on your back is the greates signing practice possible basically.

Pile books and stuff on your lower chest and stomach and try to hold them in the air while you sing (and hold the note as long as you can). Killer stuuf.

Wow, I thought I was being original with that. I play trumpet so my breathing is pretty well controlled and strong. Now to add a few Websters. >_< I always find practice goes better when I make it my own. I don't see how people follow "how to practice" guides word for word and act so perplexed when it doesn't work.
thats some pretty cool stuff. ive done the blindfold thing b4 except i had my light off in the room.
Practice Habits:
Play blindfolded
Downstroke all songs before i alt pick them
Sometimes play on an exersise bike (simulates my running into an amp and killing myself)
My Rig:
G-400
Pod XT
Spider 112
Sometimes I practice purely in up-strokes because I found that what was slowing down my fast down-picking was actually my recovery time of bringing the pick back upwards again after every downstroke.

That's about it. I should really practice on a freakin' trampoline because I'm completely hopeless at jumping around while playing. I might try that 20-day method thing.
ρ
somtimes i lay in my bed and fall asleep playing guitar,(then i wake up the next morning and thier is a guitar imprint on my face and chest hahaha)
and i do the blindfold thing .i also play laying in hammock.sometimes i go in my backyard and play really loud obnoxious music..other than that i dont kno.
your once gentle words are bleeding from my eyes ,screams of terror now fill my every breath...
any ones else ?
your once gentle words are bleeding from my eyes ,screams of terror now fill my every breath...
I take some really basic chord progressions (like a I VIm IV V) and try to make it sound interesting by playing partial chords, riffs, whatever. I might bash away at one chord progression for half an hour and see how many things I can come up with that sound interesting, but aren't really lead or basic rhythm stuff.
I practise in the dark with loads of incense burning. Yep, I'm a hippy
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
play blindfolded, play behind your back, swicth hands, play whatever your playing backwards, walk around the neighbor hood playing your guitar.
i like to close my eyes and compose a solo so that my ears dictate what note should come next instead of just running up and down scales and determining what should go by sight.... oh yeah i used to eat a ton of acid and play (not anymore, no more acid i did it all and on top of that i don't think it'll improve me anymore, although i would totally recommend it to someone looking to expand their musical horizons that don't have any kind of ethical issues w/ drugs) that'll totally change yer perspective on music (or turn you into a vegetable)
Quote by NotAJock2Day
Do you do some unorthodox things when you practice? Like techniques you won't find in a conventional guitar book...

You must move an awful lot (in a straight line) on stage. Am I missing something here?
Quote by Craigster
You must move an awful lot (in a straight line) on stage. Am I missing something here?

lol that made me laugh so hard i commend u sir!!!!

i play with my light off sometimes..thats about it for me
Quote by n-ocentcriminal
I like to sing on my back as well, but mainly in the garage. I get some killer acoustics. I also like to walk down the street annoying everyone while playing the guitar.

Haha if I walked around with my guitar doin' that, I'd probably get jumped and that would blow!
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
Not really unorthodox, but a major help is to watch TV while practicing. That way the part you are playing goes subconciense and you won't be thinking of what you are playing all the time.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Play in front of a mirror-irons out bad technique and helps you not make mistakes (hard to see the 6 strings and 22 frets normally no?)

Put Talcum Powder on the back of the guitar neck for a really fast smooth action

Imitate peoples talking using stuff like slides and bending (ala steve vai in 'the audience is listening'..good for ear training and is really funny (for the guitar player anyway)
Quote by NotAJock2Day
Turning isn't a rocket science smarty pants. :-p

I still don't understand.

Quote by emokidsdelirium
somtimes i lay in my bed and fall asleep playing guitar,(then i wake up the next morning and thier is a guitar imprint on my face and chest.

HAHA same here

I occasionally practice using only down-strokes...I taught myself and I used up-strokes, it's what came naturally..Nowadays it drives me crazy, how do you people downstroke so easily?!
FREE THINKERS ARE DANGEROUS
Quote by NotAJock2Day

I...

-Practice Blindfolded.
-Learn new songs in upstrokes, full speed before alternate picking them.
-20 Day Method (learn songs at 20 BPM less than full speed then increase metronome speed by 1 each day)
-Sing while on my back so I breath properly
-Play 1-2-3 licks with my 2-3-4 fingers...

What about you guys?

I'm gunna try the first 2. As for me, I don't really do anything unusual I guess. I do get baked though pretty much every time I play.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
Quote by NotAJock2Day

Thats kinda funny, because there's a 21 day method that basically involves playing at 20bpm for 21 days!
Get an old wind up type metronome, wind it up all the way, then practice one thing (scales, sweep picking, whatever you feel like....) until it stops