I have been playing electric guitar for almost 2 years, but what I'd really like is a cheap acoustic guitar I can drag around with me, to the beach, parties etc
It needs to actually sound good, and keep in tune, but beyond that I just want something that's easy to play - gut strings are a must - something I can just pick up and jam with whenever I hear something good in my head
What do you think is the cheapest I can get an acoustic that still sounds nice?
i guess ebay
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
I'd say get a Yamaha FG700S, they're one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played, they're usually in the $200 range.
Dude yamaha sucks. I thought yamaha specialized on motorcycles or some ****. THE BEST ONE YOU CAN GET IS A JAY TURSER.. DUDE $80 BUCKS. I love my baby, it sounds so beautiful.
It's not necessarily the dog in the fight, it's the FIGHT in the DOG
Quote by Rollingstone24
Dude yamaha sucks. I thought yamaha specialized on motorcycles or some ****. THE BEST ONE YOU CAN GET IS A JAY TURSER.. DUDE $80 BUCKS. I love my baby, it sounds so beautiful.

Shows how little you really know...

Yahama makes many quality instruments, including guitars, pianos, and pretty much any beginning band instrument. There is a reason you see them everywhere, they are a quality product, and maybe if you had actually played one, you would know that. The only thing I would use an $80 Jay Turser as is kindling.

Anyways,

If you're looking for an ultra portable guitar that still sounds pretty good, I might recommend a backpacking guitar. Both Martin and Washburn have models that sound really good. I prefer the Washburn, but they only have a steel-stringed version I believe. Martin makes a nylon string version. The Washburn Rover retails for around $150, and the Martin Backpacker for around $200-250.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
i would agree that the fg700s is probably the absolute cheapest guitar you can find that still sounds good.

i really like those martin backpacker guitars (haven't ever played a washburn backpacker model) but i wouldn't exactly say they sound really good. if you wanna be able to take this guitar to the beach and to parties and things/places like that i would go with the yamaha over the backpacker style guitar for sure. those backpacker guitars are really really quiet.
Thanks for all the advice guys
Do I need to find a guitar specifically built for the type of strings I want to use? I love the feel of those really thick, smooth strings that you can play for hours without your fingertips hurting
You can string Nylon Strings to a Steel String Guitar... But the neck might bend backwards due to the lack of pressure.

You can't string Steel Strings onto a Nylon String Guitar... Because the tension'd right the neck right off the body.
I have played those backpacker guitars and I think they are worth the money. They sound great, there're cheap and especially portable.