Page 1 of 2
So, I just won an RG450DX on ebay for...$152.

What I wanted to do, was to wire so that I'd have as many options as possible...just for fun, haha.

Would it be possible, to have an on/off switch for the single coil, a 3 way switch for neck humbucker/both humbuckers/bridge humbucker, and push-pull pots to coil tap the humbuckers? But that doesn't leave an option for just the middle single coil. Or could I use the existing 5-way switch, and wire it neck humbucker/both/middle single coil/both/bridge humbucker? With the volume and tone pots push-pull to coil tap the humbuckers. Or is there any better way to do this?

By the way, if you were wondering, I'm going to upgrade it to this:
Lo-TRS -> OFR
Neck Humbucker -> PAF Pro
Bridge Humbucker -> Tone Zone

And I don't have a single coil yet, any suggestions?

So, suggestions? Wiring diagrams? Advice? I'm really excited for this!
how about 3 HB's 3 switches to turn them on/off and 3 coil tap switches? (if thats a stupid idea im sorry im really tired right now)
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by Ranger01
how about 3 HB's 3 switches to turn them on/off and 3 coil tap switches? (if thats a stupid idea im sorry im really tired right now)

That would make sense, but I think that would clutter up the pickguard a lot and it might be likely that I'd hit switches and stuff while playing.
well it could be 3 rotary switches off-on, that are also push pull for coil tap. (I found these switches somewhere a while ago)
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by gibsonpenguin
But that doesn't leave an option for just the middle single coil.
Oh, but it does. Make that on-off switch an on-on-on three position DPDT mini toggle, giving Selector Switch Circuit / Single coil + Selector Switch Circuit / Single coil only. Like this..

These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Oh, but it does. Make that on-off switch an on-on-on three position DPDT mini toggle, giving Selector Switch Circuit / Single coil + Selector Switch Circuit / Single coil only. Like this..

Ah, I never thought of having a switch to another switch. Brilliant!

So, it would be a 3-way switch for the humbuckers neck/both/bridge, with push-pull pots to coil tap them (one to coil tap be bridge, one to coil tap the neck), plus another 3-way switch for the single coil, so it would be humbucker switch/single coil and selector switch/single coil. This would give me the options of:

1. Neck humbucker
2. Neck hum coil tapped
3. Neck and single
4. Neck tapped and single
5. Neck and bridge
6. Neck tapped and bridge
7. Neck tapped and bridge tapped
8. Single Coil
9. Bridge humbucker
10. Bridge coil tapped
11. Bridge and single
12. Bridge tapped and single

Wow, that's a lot. Would it be possible to just have a master volume and a master tone?

Also, does anybody know how this would be wired? I'm actually a noob at wiring...so this may be a bit over my head, but I can try, haha.

I'm excited though, this sounds sweeet.
By tapped, do you mean split? Meaning only one coil of the 'bucker being used?
Yeah you can have master volume and master tone. I'll draw a complete diagram if you want.
These go to eleven...
I thought coil tapped and coil split were the same thing? I could be wrong though...

And a complete diagram would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I've never understood what coil tapping is, but it's not coil splitting. Here..

I've used DiMarzio color codes.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I've never understood what coil tapping is, but it's not coil splitting. Here..

I've used DiMarzio color codes.

I think I love you. Thank's a lot! I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the guitar/find time to work on it!

Thanks again for the wiring diagram man, I owe you one.
I learned from the instructions that came with a Seymour Duncan Pup that "Coil splitting is sometimes mistakenly referred to as coil tapping"

So they are different things.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by frenchyfungus
I learned from the instructions that came with a Seymour Duncan Pup that "Coil splitting is sometimes mistakenly referred to as coil tapping"

So they are different things.

Well then can you explain the difference between them to me?
hi everyone, iv jus signed up here as a member because i need some real help wiring up my guitar. i hav a epiphone G400 (sg copy) n i want to put in some lovely SH EQ5 pick ups from a shadow guitar. but i dont hav a clue how to start and i dnt have a clue how to get a good sound from them once they r in there please give me some advice someone, and is it wise to put them pickups in a guitar like that? thanx for reading
Wait wait wait...

You're going to have that many switching options, and then just master volume and tone? You've gotta throw a black ice in there somewhere, and some other crazy **** too.
Sorry gibsonpenguin, I don't know what coil tapping is, I was just confirming what JimPlaysGuitar said.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Coil tapping is when they take a lead from the middle of a coil, so you can raise/degrease the number of winds with a switch.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Coil tapping is when they take a lead from the middle of a coil, so you can raise/degrease the number of winds with a switch.

Well then I guess coil splitting is what I want...thanks everybody!

Will_Minus, what else do you want me to do to it?
Quote by Will_Minus
It's up to you, but it just struck me as odd that you would have such a variety of switching options, and only master volume and tone.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/activepreamps.html
I would pick one or two of those, but it's totally up to you.

Well, I don't know how much room there'll be under the pickguard, and I don't particularly want to route out a lot. Also, I don't know how much more money I want to spend, maybe in the future I could add it, but not right now. I think a master volume is all I would really need, and I don't particularly want my controls looking like Rick Nielsen's First Act (6 pickups, 6 on-off switches, 6 volumes, 6 tones)

Also, does anybody know if it'd be possible/how to add a hole to a pickguard? Because with the current plans I'd need one more hole for the mini-toggle. And it would be much more convenient to just drill another hole rather than having to find/buy a whole new pickguard.
That's easy, I don't even use a drill. I just make a hole by taking a sharp knife and spinning it, lol.
These go to eleven...
Would this be a good switch to use?

If not, what is wrong with it? And which one of these, if any, would be best?

Also, what capacitator should I use for the tone knob?

And what kind of pots should I use? 500k?

And lastly, is there a way to test if the wiring is working properly without stringing the entire guitar back up and everything?

And...one more- what's the difference between a linear and audio taper pot? Which would be better?
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at May 15, 2006,
That's a two position on-on switch, what you want is a three position on-on-on switch.
Here..

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Mini_Toggle_Switches.html

or here

http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_name=SWITCHES

And lots of other places.

I usually use 500k pots and .022mfd caps, it's all about preference.

And use Audio taper pots.

To test it, I usually plug it into an amp and tap the poles of each pickup/coil that should be on in each selection, with a screwdriver.
These go to eleven...
hi everyone, iv jus signed up here as a member because i need some real help wiring up my guitar. i hav a epiphone G400 (sg copy) n i want to put in some lovely SH EQ5 pick ups from a shadow guitar. but i dont hav a clue how to start and i dnt have a clue how to get a good sound from them once they r in there please give me some advice someone, and is it wise to put them pickups in a guitar like that? thanx for reading
neil, do you have/know how to use a soldering iron?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by neilross

Neil, I don't mean to be rude...but why do you post the same thing twice...in my thread?
the only reason i posted the thread twice was because i never had a reply the first time, and im stil not gettin any help now
Quote by frenchyfungus
neil, do you have/know how to use a soldering iron?
and yes i do know how to use one, its not rocket science, im jus not sure wot im soldering, thats all, these pick-ups are active n needa 9v battery, i jus dnt know how to work em help
How many wires do they have, and what colors are they? Cause they're active, you're gonna need new everything, exept the selector switch. Like 25k pots, a stereo jack..
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at May 19, 2006,
well iv already got all those things from the guitar im takin the pickups out of, but is it possible to do this transformation, n were can i get diagrams to show me wot i need to do?

Ta Dah

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^Close, but he wants two of those 'buckers and no singles, a 3 way, 2 volumes, 2 tones. That's one weird pickup, it has it's own built in eq? So it looks like the signal goes from the pickup, through the EQ, to the selector switch, then to the volume. Without a push pull, that's what's gonna have to happen. Unless you had push-pulls in the guitar you took them from? That'd be cool. To bypass the EQ. You could even have one other push pull to coil split. Quick parts check.. Just tell me what you have out of this?

Original g-400 Selector switch.
SH-EQ5 pickups x 2
pots.. how many?
push pull pots.. How many?
two capacitors
stereo jack
9v battery clip
wire
soldering knowledge

I could draw something, but that's a lot of wires and it's hard without making a mess.
These go to eleven...
I see.

That was jsut a diagram I found on their website.

Can't you copy the wiring from the Shadow guitar?

As for getting them to sound good:

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Original g-400 Selector switch. yep
SH-EQ5 pickups x 2 yep
pots.. how many? 4 on the sg 2 on the shadow
push pull pots.. How many? none
two capacitors jus wot iv got from both guitars
stereo jack yep
9v battery clip yep
wire yep
soldering knowledge yep

hanx for ur hep guys but i stil need lots more help, i dnt know wot goes were, if u get me
Ok, I drew this..

That way, each EQ is independent to it's own pickup. Also each pickup has it's own volume and tone, just like your standard g-400.

The problem is, you only have two usable pots, the shadow ones. So you're gonna have to get two extra 25k audio taper pots, from somewhere like Allparts. Unless you just have a master volume and tone and leave two empty pot holes in your g-400.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at May 23, 2006,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Ok, I drew this..
The problem is, you only have two usable pots, the shadow ones. So you're gonna have to get two extra 25k audio taper pots, from somewhere like Allparts. Unless you just have a master volume and tone and leave two empty pot holes in your g-400.

thanx for the pic big help, i jus dnt understand wen u said, "you only have two usable pots, the shadow ones" y cant i jus use the ones from the SG? in the diagram u drew u showed me four pots didnt u?

and can each pickup make to diffent sounds or somethin, i dnt even know wot they do lol. can u switch between them an d make them passive and active, if so how do u do that? thanx dude
The pots in your SG are 500k.. The ones needed for active pickups are 25k. I really don't know, they might not even be active, the 9v circuit might only be powering the EQ, but I'm about 70% sure the pickup is active aswell, so 25k pots are needed.
You can do active or passive, meaning bypassing the EQ, but you'd need to replace two of your 25k pots with 25k push-pull pots. You can also have coil splitting, meaning another push-pull pot.
These go to eleven...
Ok, so now I've tried to wire everything up and it doesn't work....Here's the way I've wired it compared to the diagram that Jim made me.

The killswitch works fine.

The 3-way selector does not work, all the pickups are on.

The DPDT on-on-on doesn't work. In two positions (up and middle) there's a signal, that's all the pickups, and in the bottom position, there's no signal.

Help please!!
Wow, that selector switch is totally wrong, but I've sent you a PM to help with that. And the other switch that doesn't work, should work. It's wired right. The only problem could be a faulty switch. or the wrong switch. Anyone who knows how throws and poles work should confirm that. Also going by the helpful info on this site.
These go to eleven...
Yeah, I wasn't really sure what to do about the selector switch because it was different than the one in the wiring diagram you made me earlier.

Is there anything wrong with leaving the killswitch where it is, because right now, that's the only thing that works haha

Hopefully the DPDT switch will get sorted out when I fix the other selector switch.

I'll try it later today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help!
Page 1 of 2