I'm really starting to get into both Lou Reed's solo work and his stuff with The Velvet Underground, and I noticed that for such an original and impressive group, they [VU] barely get any attention. It seems all anyone know them or Reed for is Heroin/Sweet Jane or Walk On The Wild Side.

So yah, I just thought I'd bring up this cool, very different band/artist for discussion or what not.
The idea that media is there to educate us, or to inform us, is ridiculous because that's about tenth or eleventh on their list...
- Abbie Hoffman R.I.P
I love Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, got all the albums. John Cale has some very impressive stuff as well. I recommend his album "Vintage Violence" to any Reed/VU fan.
in know dude. im suprised they dont get alot of attention but im also sort of glad because im not sure that i would like them as much if they did. the velvet underground and nico is one of my favorite albums ever. some of the most drugged up stuff that i have ever heard.
if these are the best days of our life, then we are in big trouble
Lou Reed is incredibly underrated. The only albums of his that A&B Sound carries are New York and a bunch of compilations. I had to order Transformer! It's one of the best albums ever released!

The Velvet Underground is one of my favourite bands, despite them only having four albums and one that is too messed up to listen to. The combination of Lou Reed and Doug Yule produced some of the best music in the world and I think it's a shame that Doug's part in VU is always so suppressed. He wasn't even inducted into the hall of fame with the others. Doug is quite a bit better than John Cale, mostly because Cale made their first two albums weird, especially the second one.

P.S. Transformer never came in. **** you, A&B Sound!
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
i like their weirder moments, i presume your referring to whitelight/whiteheat? great album! the first ones brilliant as well, i just thought that nico was a quite lame. they did get a bit of acknowlegment eventually just not in their own time. theyve influenced so many bands/artists since
^ The Velvet Underground and Nico album is lame or Nico the woman is lame? because the album is definitely not lame

anyway, The Velvet Underground own my soul. have all their regular studio albums and a live one as well and all of them shimmer with brilliance. i would have loved to see them in their Velvet Underground and Nico/ White Light White Heat days. Lou Reed is a really good rhythm player. very underrated.

is anyone else mad that they never play them on the radio? i think songs like Sweet Jane, Rock and Roll, Who Loves the Sun, What Goes On, Beginning to See the Light are all rockish anthem like songs and they should be played.

i really can't say enough how much i love them.
^just her really, never got into 'ill be your mirror'. the album is definately not lame though
I kinda feel that they should get a lot more respect. They sound like they are so ahead of their time. You would think that they would get more popular as the years pass. But they still kinda stay obscure. I mean you never hear them on the radio. Why not? Ah anyway, great band. My favorite albums are Loaded and Velvet Underground and Nico.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by KingBrendan5149
^ The Velvet Underground and Nico album is lame or Nico the woman is lame? because the album is definitely not lame

anyway, The Velvet Underground own my soul. have all their regular studio albums and a live one as well and all of them shimmer with brilliance. i would have loved to see them in their Velvet Underground and Nico/ White Light White Heat days. Lou Reed is a really good rhythm player. very underrated.

is anyone else mad that they never play them on the radio? i think songs like Sweet Jane, Rock and Roll, Who Loves the Sun, What Goes On, Beginning to See the Light are all rockish anthem like songs and they should be played.

i really can't say enough how much i love them.

Velvet Underground and Nico is one of the best albums ever released. Music wouldn't have been the same without it, it showed people what they could do. There is no more influencial music than the experimental kind. That album introduced new techniques for using distortion and other guitar tones. Nico, on the other hand, I dislike. Her singing irritates me. I can't listen to "Femme Fatale" because of her singing, but when John Cale sings it on The Velvet Redux, it's great.

As for them being played on the radio, they're definatley not played enough. I've never hear any VU on the radio and only one Lou Reed song. They did a countdown of what they call the 1001 and best songs which apparently included "Rock n' Roll," "Sweet Jane" and "Walk on the Wild Side," but I didn't hear them.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
I have White Light/White Heat, and suspect that I bought it because of "The Gift" (the random track).
My mind is not for sale or rent to any god or government. (Seen on a bumper sticker)

My Flickr album, updated as the free account upload quota permits.
Do any of you guys have any recommendations of good places to "get started" album-wise? All I have is a colection of random songs, and the Velvet Underground & Nico album.
The idea that media is there to educate us, or to inform us, is ridiculous because that's about tenth or eleventh on their list...
- Abbie Hoffman R.I.P
I really like Nico's voice on that album, but, yeah,I can see why someone might find it hard to get into.
They rule. I mean, most of the people dont like them, only like 5 people in my school love them.
I'm currently addicted to two songs by them Oh! Sweet Nuthin' and There She Goes Again.

But the song that really got me into them was Sunday Morning. Don't know why, but that song was just awesome (still is).
mama let that boy, play some rock n roll
Quote by vanceboy
ah, well, Pl3h-B0y is the real deal, so what he says goes.

Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Cptbeefheart to join!
Name That Riff!
Quote by distilledspirit
I have Lou Reed Transformer. Great album, anyone have any suggestions of other great VU albums?

They only have four albums. The Velvet Underground and Loaded are amazing. White Light/White Heat is just ****ed, apart from the title track.
Quote by AICriff008
Do any of you guys have any recommendations of good places to "get started" album-wise? All I have is a colection of random songs, and the Velvet Underground & Nico album.

if you're into their more noisy freakout kind of music (Sistery Ray, I Heard Her Call My Name) get White Light White Heat

if you want some mellow and relaxed music (Candy Says, Pale Blue Eyes, Jesus) get The Velvet Underground (though that album does have a few rockers on it: Beginning to See the Light and What Goes On)

if you want rockish anthem like music (Rock and Roll, Who Loves the Sun, Sweet Jane) get Loaded

if you want even more as well, pick up a few live albums. i have 1969: The Velvet Underground Live, Volume 1 and it's great.
great ****. Love vu and lou reeds solo stuff. My favorites : Sunday morning, heroin, ride into the sun, rock and roll, Stephanie says, pale blue eyes, im sticking with you, there she goes, Sister ray, Dirty Blvd, Im so free, who loves the sun, and more
Anyone hear Lou Reed's The Raven? SOunds like an interesting idea for an album. I've always been a fan of Edgar Allen Poe, and it definately sounds awesome, but was wanting an opinion on it as a whole. Only song I've heard off of it so far is "Vanishing Act".
- Abbie Hoffman R.I.P