Page 1 of 9
I don't have time to do a full tutorial but I thought I show a little of the build here.

To get things started, here is a pic of what will be the back, sides, top, bracing, kerfing, end block, heel block, and neck.

The deatails haven't been worked out yet, but this week I'm going to be ripping the billet into parts, cutting the kerfed linings, and joining the top and back.
Not taking any online orders.
YES!
I'll be watching this.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^nope. If I'm not mistaken the ES-335 is a simihollowbody with a laminated top. That makes the es-335 great for high volume rock music but it is horrible if you want to play it unplugged. This is going to be a true acoustic archtop modled after the building styles of benedetto.
*bookmarks*

Can't wait to see how this one turns out, out of interest are you going to add a floating pup or leave it "fully" acoustic?

EDIT: ES335s are semihollow and IMO sound terrible.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
*subscribes to thread*

Sweet
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by power freak

Very much agreed upon.

I think this will be the only one of Corduroy's builds that I'll actually be registered to see! So much excitement.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at May 14, 2006,
Sweet. I saw one of your others builds, loved reading the thread. Jealous of your talents and final outcome.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Last edited by Molsons Golden at May 15, 2006,
So it's gonna be more one of those jazz type archtops?
Can't wait see this. Always love to see an archtop.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Quote by power freak
*bookmarks*
out of interest are you going to add a floating pup or leave it "fully" acoustic?

I don't know yet, but the pickup is the last thing that gets put on the guitar so there is a lot of time to decide what needs to be done with that.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 15, 2006,
here is the style of pick guard i want

i' design the headstock for you in a little while

thanks again for doing this
Ok, I've spent some time on the phone and ironed out some details.

Specs

Scale 640mm
Body length 20.5 inches
lower bout width 17 inches
Body depth 3 inches (I will be making the sides 2 5/8 inches tall but the arch of the top and back plates will make the guitar a total depth of 3 inches)
Back and sides Mahogany
This will have X bracing
Rosewood fretboard, pickguard, tailpeice, and bridge

I'm going to follow the partters in Benedetto's book prety closely except the arch in the top will not be quite as extreem as the Benedetto model. Having slightly less arch will make the guitar better suited for blues than the benedetto guitars which are used mainly for jazz.
Quote by power freak

Lookin forward to see this progress

Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Here I'm using my bailey number 6 plane to get an even joint. This is something that most luthiers use and electric jointer for. I have an electric jointer but the blades on the electric jointer crush the grain which means the joint is more likely to fail and that is why I do this step by hand

Now i'm adding the glue. I put a little bit on each side and then let it set for a couple minutes so that it can have a chance to soak into the wood. Then I wipe off the extra before I clamp it together.

Here it is in the clamps. It's kinda nice joining a board this thick. With the thin boards I use on flattops I have to make a jig to help hold it all together. With this I just have to put it in the clamps.

Quote by power freak

You kidding? 335's are t3h pwn! Seriously though, with some light overdrive, those guitars are awesome...

Nice work so far too! Keep up the great pictures!
Quote by sillybuuger12
oo me likey nice going there cord glad my wanting an arch top made things easier

Woah, you name is purple now. Are you even more awesomer now?

I like the glued boards. Nice and clean. I'm ready for some more pics.
yeah i quit as a CC but jokingly asked Cas for a new name colour i didn't expect him to oblige!
^The purple is awesome!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
You kidding? 335's are t3h pwn! Seriously though, with some light overdrive, those guitars are awesome...

I'm not kidding at all... All ES335 type guitars are bright and nasal as hell, I've played loads of them and not one has impressed me. You are better going for a chambered solid body or a full hollow body IMO.

Those Artinger hollowbodies look really interesting, I was going to get one before I played my ES150 but the hassle of importing seemed too much. Plus they're quite thin in width so they might not have that "true" hollow sound of a very thick guitar. I'll get one eventually though.

Anyways, that's enough off-topic-ness.. Let's see how this one turns out.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Well... I rough cut the top with my bandsaw, then I used a drill press and drilled a bunch of wholes and specific depths to help guid my carving, then I used a gouge to rough carve the top. I followed that up with a curved cabinate scraper.

Quote by sillybuuger12
looking god you just need to sand that smoth now yes?

There is still a littel more to do 1st. I have to carve the underside, cut the f-holes and glue in the bracing. Then I'll sand it smooth.
We had said F holes but that was about it. I'm woking on a template for something that looks pretty traditional. I'll post a pic and ask you about it once I have it right.
Wow, nice!
That looks like a crapload of work...

Sonically, how does an arched top compare to a similar design with a flat top?
Last edited by That_Pink_Queen at May 25, 2006,
This is sweet. Hehe, one day I hope to have enough skill to build an archtop.

Theres lots of sweet archtop builds on mimf to check out for inspiration as well. If you need any that is.

I also wanna follow pink queens question up with: How do archtops compare volume wise.

Its kinda sad how Ive never in my whole town seen a real archtop guitar once, let alone played one .

Anyways good luck
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
lookin good man,archtops are tough i bet (they sound great though).
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
the only part of the that i can answer for definite is that arch tops are a bit louder than flat tops which is why they were so popular in the 30's and 40's for jazz big bands before the advent of afordable electric instruments
Here is the shape I have fore the F hole.

To the people asking questions about the tone of an archtop. They have a very strong midrange and a very weak bass end. The super strong mids help the guitar to cut and it can be heard in a mix of instruments much easier then a flattop can be heard, however the archtop guitar actually has less volume than a flat top.