Ok so i'm in the jazz band at my school and originally i was supposed to be mainly working as rhythm for the brass to play over, however, they are too chicken to take some badass solos, so my teacher volunteered me to take over...

I was thinkin about just chuckin a few blues licks here and there but now i wanna learn some real scales that would help me outside of all this.

To get me started, what would be good to use over the chords Bb7sus4, Cm9(b6), F7sus4 and Fm7?
learn diatonic scales of chord (CM7, dm7, Em7,FM7,G7,Am7,B half diminished in major for example) so you can find the tonality of the song and then u can use modes over the chords like if it's in C major and u have a G7 (+ tension etc...) u can use C mixolydian mode over that chord (well it's gonna sound on the other chords too cause it's still C major scale but modes are really helpful when for example you have G7 and then Fm7, those chords are not in the same diatonic scale, the first is the fifth of the diatonic scale of C and the second is the 3rd of D so with the mode i wrote under u can find what scale to play when u have such tonality changes, on the G7 u'll play C mixolydian and on the Fm7 u'll play D phrygian

for exmple in C

Ionian = c d e f g a b c
Dorian = d m f g a b c d
Phrygian = e f g a b c d e
Lydian = f g a b c d e f
Mixolydian = g a b c d e f g
Aeolian = a b c d e f g a
Locrian = b c d e f g a b

now what u have to do is to get a paper with the position of the modes on yyour guitar (well u can find them out so understands better what notes u play but if you don't have a lot of time to spend find something on the internet ) and learn to play the modes in every tonality so u really remember the positions so when someone says F#half diminished u can grab your guitar and shred like f** on G locrian mode

Bb7 u can use Eb mixolydian

cm 9 Bb Dorian

F7 Bb mixolydian

Fm7 Eb dorian

hope it helped i think i'm right (at least im sure for diatonic scales modes and stuff but not for your chords but i'm pretty sure)
i re-read myself something that wasn't really clear is

tonality = diatonic scale (well some peopl gonna say i'm wrong but well..)

it'd be easier for you to note down on a paper the modes and the diatonic scales so you can see the relation between the chords and the mode
Try Sweeps and Rakes always sound impressive, as for the scales.
just stay with the scales of the song or it will sound crap no matter how you play it.
for jazz try a lot of blue notes espessicaly those near the key tone.
diminished scales are mostly used for jazz its a strange feel to play with but sounds very good for jazz, but never ever try blues in something that has a jazz feel cause itll sound as if youre playing your very first solo and even if you are, thats none of their bussines now is it?
Quote by fynsta
learn diatonic scales of chord (CM7, dm7, Em7,FM7,G7,Am7,B half diminished in major for example) so you can find the tonality of the song and then u can use modes over the chords like if it's in C major and u have a G7 (+ tension etc...) u can use C mixolydian mode over that chord (well it's gonna sound on the other chords too cause it's still C major scale but modes are really helpful when for example you have G7 and then Fm7, those chords are not in the same diatonic scale, the first is the fifth of the diatonic scale of C and the second is the 3rd of D so with the mode i wrote under u can find what scale to play when u have such tonality changes, on the G7 u'll play C mixolydian and on the Fm7 u'll play D phrygian

for exmple in C

Ionian = c d e f g a b c
Dorian = d m f g a b c d
Phrygian = e f g a b c d e
Lydian = f g a b c d e f
Mixolydian = g a b c d e f g
Aeolian = a b c d e f g a
Locrian = b c d e f g a b

now what u have to do is to get a paper with the position of the modes on yyour guitar (well u can find them out so understands better what notes u play but if you don't have a lot of time to spend find something on the internet ) and learn to play the modes in every tonality so u really remember the positions so when someone says F#half diminished u can grab your guitar and shred like f** on G locrian mode

Bb7 u can use Eb mixolydian

cm 9 Bb Dorian

F7 Bb mixolydian

Fm7 Eb dorian

hope it helped i think i'm right (at least im sure for diatonic scales modes and stuff but not for your chords but i'm pretty sure)
You really have no clue what you're talking about, do you?

Here are three links with some correct, helpful info:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=3002958#post3002958
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16999
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187159

-SD
Pay no attention to what fynsta said.

The links SD posted should help, but for immediate help, Bb7sus4, Cm9(b6), F7sus4 and Fm7 all can be found in the key of Eb. Bb7 being the V, Cm9 the vi, and the Fm7's the ii.

Therefore, you can get by with just the Eb major scale, however, I would recommend at least staying around chord tones on the different chords. These would be:

Bb7sus4: Bb, Eb, F, Ab
Cm9(b6): C, Eb, G, Bb, D, Ab (I don't think the b6 is replacing the 7th, so I put it on top and kept the 7th)
F7sus4: F Bb C Eb
Fm7: F Ab C Eb
for now, solo over 7 chords, with mixolydian

minor chords you're going to use dorian.
i was wrong bout the chords he was talking bout, i was NOT wrong bout telling to learn chords scales and modes which are the things u need the most to get around in jazz when u begin

don't go like" it's total bull**** " because i was wrong bout his second question (and i admit it)
no his first question is "what scales to use with jazz" and then "what scales do i use on those chords"

if he wanted to build a fuzz pedal and he didn't know what a solder i'd go like" ok first u need to learn a few basic of electronics so u don't need help every 2 second if something's wrong but U guys go like "ok u need 3 resistances 100k 2 transistor BN904 , 3 potentiometer meg 40%"
Quote by SilentDeftone
Your first paragraph didn't correctly answer that either.

*shrug*

-SD

ahem...if modes or major scales, and chord scales are not the answer to "what to i use to improvise on jazz? " then i can't help you (+ u have no argument except "you're wrong aha...")

oh yeah ok i get it i'm so wrong forget bout modes and chords , it's bad
play pentatonics, all the time that f****$ rckzzzzz