hello yes im new and ive been really really listening to RHCP ALOT lately and John just freakin amazes me and has now inspired me to start playing. i was wondering what guitar would be great to start out at. i was thinking either this 2...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

or

Fender Stratocaster

...also whats that thing called that they use in Dani California where it makes the guitar sound distorted. i was thinking it was one of those distortion pedal that ive seen other ppl use. but im just asking again. and which one is the best?
Last edited by sting2kx at May 14, 2006,
got the pictures mixed up, buddy.

anyway, if you're starting out, get the cheaper one, I suppose.
Go for the epi, but try and get a decent amp
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
Get a good amp and buy the strat. You'll have more tones to choose from. Apart from RHCP, what music do you like/will like to play?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
hmmm other music? i dont really know, there is lots of rhcp i can play. ill just focus on that for now. im just a beginner. also what amp do you recommend?
john uses single coils, go for the strat
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
ok so far i found out that im getting

Fender Stratocaster
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon Wah Pedal (closes thing to WH10 that john uses)

though i still dont have an amp. can anyone recommend a good non expensive one?
well you could either get a roland cube or the vox ad15 either way their both great cheap amps
Sounds like a good set-up. About the amp, John uses Marshalls, but most marshalls out there would be MG series (which stink). Perhaps, look into the Traynor YCV series. Supposed to have a fender like clean (you want good cleans) and a Marshall like distortion.

Edit- I didn't see the cheap part. I've heard good things about the Roland cube.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
what a well spelt, well writted post for a newbie, well done! i have used both, and advise the strat for chilli peppers style playing. however, you get better distorted tones out of the les paul imo.
nope that amp any good. like i advised you before you should get a roland cube and a fender standard fat strat
Yea, I have the Fender Strat (upgrading to an LP Studio soon ) and its awesome.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
I swear, I was gonna get that exact Epi, same colour and everything, lol. Good luck finding a good guitar for you
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
If I was you, I'd buy the Strat. John uses singe-coils. I'd get the Roland Cube too. Great amp for the price.

And that thing in Dani California that makes the guitar sound distorted is a distrotion pedal, I believe. Good luck

-DS
Epi Vs Fender: Always choose fender.
Fenders are lighter, faster, and more versatile.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
thanks everyone for their suggestions and comments its clear that the Fender has won me over.
the distortion pedal john uses in dani california is an electo harmonix bigg muff that is mixed with a boss ds 2 for that crunch sound
rolands ive heard are mainly good for metal.i think vox valvetronix
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I'd buy the Strat also, u cant go wrong
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
you should spend more money on an amp, because it affects your tone A LOT more than an expensive guitar.
Dude, strat for sure.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
get the strat, since that is what john uses mostly, for an amp roland cube or vox valvetronix
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.