There is a discussion among guitarists if a solo should be more feel oriented or technical oriented.

Personally, a solo should be like a statement, a voice and we should just communicate with people with the guitar. In my solos I take a little bit of everything, some ideas are more hearted and then I put a fast passage, tremolo picked or legato, etc.

What's your opinion, are these tools (feel and speed) equally efficient, or shred style is just cold as ice?

Guitarists that use both tools just to name a few: Kirk Hammet, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai...
my guitar will make you cry
..it depends what you're "saying" depending on waht you're saying, it's gonne be different each time.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by ILoveHarmonics
To me speed just brings over a DIFFERENT feel. If the feeling you want to bring over is more furious some speed will help.

Exactly. A great guitarist knows how to use certain notes together with the right feeling and phrasing to tell his story. Speed is only something to help put down a certain feeling.
Yeah, difficulty or speed aren't necessary. Even a slow three note solo can sound great if it has the right feel to it.
Speed is part of "feel".

I can't believe why everyone always keeps thinking of fast playing as something completely different from slow playing. It's all the same. One is just an extension of the other. It's music. Get out of your box.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Saphira Night
There is a discussion among guitarists if a solo should be more feel oriented or technical oriented.

Personally, a solo should be like a statement, a voice and we should just communicate with people with the guitar. In my solos I take a little bit of everything, some ideas are more hearted and then I put a fast passage, tremolo picked or legato, etc.

What's your opinion, are these tools (feel and speed) equally efficient, or shred style is just cold as ice?

Guitarists that use both tools just to name a few: Kirk Hammet, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai...

It depends on the style of music. If you're playing cheesy 80's metal (i love it) then speed is definately a major factor here. However, I guarentee you most shredders have more emotion in their works than most classic rock guitarists.
Quote by Resiliance
Speed is part of "feel".

I can't believe why everyone always keeps thinking of fast playing as something completely different from slow playing. It's all the same. One is just an extension of the other. It's music. Get out of your box.

Calm down, man! I know it is music. I know that is a extension. I know that speed also brings, when well applied, genuine feel. My question is that some guitarists just play really fast just to impress, bringing a musical nullity.
my guitar will make you cry
Just in between feel and speed. Feel is more important. Use speed to create feeling.
For those about to rock, I salute you!
I'd say that the voicing and feel of the solo are much more important than how fast you can play it. For me, at least - I emphasize the feel and try to make my solos melodic and noticeable. But I would agree with you that it can sound fantastic when combined. Take Eric Johnson for instance - the main riff in Cliffs of Dover is extremely melodic, yet still pretty fast.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Why work solely on the basis of playing solos either 'fast' or 'with feeling'. Besides, that implies fast solos don't have feeling, which they do.

The most important part of soloing is neither speed nor feel, but phrasing. Great phrasing almost always means a great solo. Play what you need to say, play what you feel, play fast or slow, but whatever you do make sure you use phrasing well.

Anyway, a solo shouldn't be decided how you should play it. It should be used to add something to the song, something that fits the song. Personally, I don't play fast because it suits what I do, but if I ever decide to move into shred or metal or whatever, then I'll work on speed.

A solo with feeling is always good, but speed isn't bad either. And besides, the more technically proficient you are with your instrument, the easier it'll be to express yourself in the way you want. Speed, feeling and technicality are all good in solos, you just have to find the right balance between them all.
Quote by Resiliance
Speed is part of "feel".

Agreed.
A lot of fast ones sound cool, but slow ones can sound just as great. In the type of music I listen to there are a lot more quick solos so I like those better. Not really sure what exactly is 'feel'... is that supposed to mean slow-played solos?
"1456"... if you're reading this, you know what the code means, and i mean every word of it.... 1456!!!

See that red area? It does exist. They aren't separate.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
They aren't mutually exclusive.
But feel, obviously. It doesnt matter whether the solo is 90bpm or 300bpm, feel is what matters.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at May 14, 2006,
Feel is the one you need, cause it includes speed as well.
You can play as fast as you want to but still sound crap if it doesn't feel right
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club