im looking for a passive humbucker(no emgs) for basically just metal/hardcore. i dont care about its cleans really, i have other guitars for that, i just want it to have great distortion sounds. BTW its for a peavey mantis lt.
if you want pure metal why go passive?, no offense but thats wack.
you should try the seymour duncan Metal Livewire, those little bastards don't even know what clean is. i'm not kidding you can't play clean with em. if passive hell I don't know really try the same they have passive versions too. I believe it's called the duncan custom
cheers
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
How much money do you have? If you have a lot look into Bareknuckles. If you don't have that much maybe a Dimarzio Tone Zone/X2N/ Super Distortion. Or if your on a budget try Swineshead or Bill Lawrence pickups.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
thanks, i just wanna go passive cause i cant be assed to route for a battery and ****. unless its less work than i think? also does wood affect actives alot? i cant find what wood this guitar is, from reviews ive heard alder or hard maple. 1 more thing, its for a bridge humbucker.
there actually is a wood page somewhere on this site with explanation but its nnot that hard to explain it here. mahogay is a very warm one with lots of lows an mids, alder on the contrary has a more high end sound but not thin. basswood is right in the middle.
the wood you use for the neck and fretboard also matters but since the neck is usually always maple it won't matter(maple is also a very high end wood, but is used cause its very sturdy so it can hold the string tension) the fretbaord wood is 3 choices. maple, ebony(being a bit darker) and rosewood wich has the warmest sound of the 3. hope that helped
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
that's crap, probably from someone who f*ckd up the wiring, in either his guitar or has been messing around with his amp. what guitar do you have?
UG's Flamenco Club
can't get anything on wood, the work between installing a passive pickup or n active one isnt that much of work though. I think if your going for new pups do it right the first time.
since most active pups have a bar instead of pole pieces it won't fade so quickly, wich made quite a difference for me.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
if you want pure metal why go passive?, no offense but thats wack.
you should try the seymour duncan Metal Livewire, those little bastards don't even know what clean is. i'm not kidding you can't play clean with em. if passive hell I don't know really try the same they have passive versions too. I believe it's called the duncan custom
cheers

he isnt asking for pickups that cant do clean. hes asking for pickups that can do mad distortion. not the same thing.
so would it be pretty easy to make the battery cavity and ****? also then, what actives should i check out?

EDIT: lol ^ yeah, well if it couldnt do clean for shiit, like at all, i wouldnt really mind TO much, i have 5 other guitars to cover cleans for me.
emg's work but somehow everyone s been beating the crap out of them here:P then there are alse the livewires.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by DBS_KICKS_ASS
so would it be pretty easy to make the battery cavity and ****? also then, what actives should i check out?

EDIT: lol ^ yeah, well if it couldnt do clean for shiit, like at all, i wouldnt really mind TO much, i have 5 other guitars to cover cleans for me.

....you do realize that asking for a pickup that cant do clean is very different than asking for a pickup that can do distortion, right?

just get passives, no need to make a cavity, and u can get high powered ones.
dimarzio tone zone (i think), bill lawrence X500 or whaetever (the one dime used), swishead xbucker, blackknuckles.

but if you want actives, i would opt for an emg 81
EMG 81 works fine, but if you have a mahogany body go for 85 the sounds more natural and still have a fat tone.
UG's Flamenco Club
^not if hes going to downtune. the 85 is indeed more bassy, but will muddy up in droptunnings because of it.

unless he wants mud