Hello.

I'm looking to get a new pickup for my Epiphone Dot, spending something in the region of £50-60 or so. (about $100 USD?). I find the current ones a bit too muddy. I play rythm guitar and I want something that has a slight trebbly edge to it. I'm playing it through a Marshall AVT100 (which I really like, actually). Something that will cut throught he mix a bit more, when playing with my band.

I was thinking about getting a P-90 for it (I'm only going to change the bridge pickup), what kind of a sound would I get from this? Or can anyone suggest anything different?

I play mostly stuff with a punky/bluesy kind of edge to it, if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance for any help...
(Can't wait for some knuckle dragging idiot to insist EMGs are for you)

Bill Lawrence or Jason Lollar P-90s always get good reviews.
What kind of sound do P-90's give? The descriptions i've read have all been a bit vague
is your guitar routed for p90's or humbuckers?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If your stock pickups are humbuckers, you'll need a P-94. A P-90 is wider but thinner than a humbucker.

P-90s are large single coils. Your cleans will have some brightness, but a lot of body. The P-90s in my PRS SE Soapbar II are bassy with a lot of mid punch and a bit of glass on the top. I love their clean sound. Very bluesy. Distortion is better than a Strat-sized single coil, but not quite as heavy as a humbucker. IMO, soapbar pickups are the porridge that Goldilocks ate. Problem is, though, their also single coils. LARGE ones. So they're succeptible to 60 hz humming. They make hum-cancelling P-90s, but I'm wary of those. Just like hum-cancelling single coils on a Strat don't sound like standard single coils, I doubt a hum-cancelling P-90 will sound the same as an original.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at May 14, 2006,
Quote by Dave_Mc
is your guitar routed for p90's or humbuckers?

It came with humbuckers, so for humbuckers I guess. I was looking at ones which said they fitted in to a humbucker guitar with no modfication needed.
^ ok.

As far as I know, the two major guys who make humbucker-sized p90's are duncans (p94? phat cat? not too sure on the models) and bareknuckle (mississippi queen). I'd look into those- they're liable to be more than £60 though...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
knuckle dragging idiot number one here, not to much into emg's i just love the sound of the combination of EMG 85 and mahogany wood:P didn't get the chance to try a lot of different pickups in the same guitar yet
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ ok.

As far as I know, the two major guys who make humbucker-sized p90's are duncans (p94? phat cat? not too sure on the models) and bareknuckle (mississippi queen). I'd look into those- they're liable to be more than £60 though...

yeah, I was looking at the Seymour Duncan ones

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67101

and also these ones

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=330&product=5042
^^ aye- the bareknuckle one is £95, so that's probably a bit much. I have no idea about those two though, I haven't tried them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?