Page 1 of 2
I recently bought a bass.. and I have little knowledge of how to play. I know how to play tab but I need help with all the tab symbols.

For instance... Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy

G|---------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------|
A|--2--2-5~-5---------5~-5---------|
E|-----------55--3--3-----55-------|

What does the "~" mean?

And also.. when the numbers are close like "5555" does that mean I strum it up and down all at once?

And.. if it's like "5--5--5--5" I hit the string.. wait a bit.. then hit it again?

Please help!
~ = let ring
if the numbers are close together it means play faster
and if they have a gap between each one it stands for a rest, this'll vary song to song.
hope that helps.
~ means hold the note. When they are like 555 that means you play them quickly.

And yes. That's the nature of tabs. the space between the numbers is the time you wait. This is why you have to hear the song first before you can use teh tab - the timings are very rarely accurate in terms of beats and everything.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Just let the note you've played carry on sounding, don't stop it from playing.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
let ring means that you leave the sound to carry on longer than normal.
don't mute it straight away.
if your having a problem getting it right listen to the bass in the intro the song.
hope this helps too
it means play the note out. It means don't stop the note from playing.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Thanks guy.

I'll probably have over a dozen more questions later on. :P hope you don't mind.
I have another questions....

When playing.. how do I know when to strum up and down... and when to strum just down?
Quote by WashBurn!
How do I find the hint?

by l0oking.

there ought to be a "how to read tab" article on this site or on the interet.

to answer your question, the simplest way to figure this out is by listening to the song.

if you cant hear the bass in the song, it isnt worth learning.
tab was meant to be read while listening to the song, so it doesnt need all kinds of fancy rules or anything, it was made like that so that it can be self explanitory
Quote by smb
Only if you can't play bass

prove it.
finger picking is down strokes only.
and that's proper bass.
technically pop is the only up strokes.
Bollocks - there's loads of different techniques in playing bass. Fingerstyle isn't one thing - it covers a whole load of techniques. If you rake a fast run down the strings with the inside of your knuckles on your first and second fingers, would you classify that as downstroke? Who are you to say what is "proper bass" and what isn't anyway?

Clearly you don't have much in the way of bass technique and you think a lot of your own opinions.
my opinons, shared by all the best bassists here, check out all the fingers vs. picks threads here.
anyway this is getting of topic.
basically for someone who wants to play talentess stuff like F.O.B it mostly down strokes.
Quote by arcticmonkey
my opinons, shared by all the best bassists here, check out all the fingers vs. picks threads here.
basically for someone who wants to play talentess stuff like F.O.B it mostly down strokes.

Bit rich from an Arctic Monkeys fan - they're equally poor. Like I said you think too much of your own opinions. You seem to have a very limited knowledge of techniques. No-one mentioned picks - you need to read up on right hand technique by the sound of it
okay just to strengthen my arguement a little:
pete wentz (bassist for FOB) plays with a pick
hence a little bit of assuming on my part
two, i play how i want, and considering i play rock i don't really need loads of fancy techiques.
and finally arctic monkeys bass player is one of the best you'll hear in the main scene of music today, you look at some riffs such as this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/arctic_monkeys/dancing_shoes_ver2_btab.htm
that's what's giving bassists a good name.
i'm not trying to be snobbish with you, and all of this off the back of me saying most FOB basslines are downstrokes is ridiculous.
I can't be bothered with a proper response, but I do think you should have been clearer in your previous posts. I don't think telling new players that "a lot of bass is downstrokes" including all fingerpicking is going to help anyone learn.
If you think the Artic Monkeys bass player is the best in the scene right now you need to find and listen to Knights of Cydonia, Hysteria, and Hyper Music all by Muse. Chris can tear that guy apart especailly with his little tapping bit in Knights. I play alot of pop-punk and I don't just use downstrokes, I alternate pick. In fact I hardly ever use just downstrokes. And wouldn't finger picking be more upstrokes since your pulling the strings towards you.
Originally posted by Bass121503
And wouldn't finger picking be more upstrokes since your pulling the strings towards you.

I agree with that
Quote by arcticmonkey
okay i agree, one small mistake.

Which one was that? Was it saying that most bass is just downstrokes? Was it saying that "all the best bassists here" agree with you're dumb opinions? Was it saying the only upstroke in bass is popping? Maybe it was saying that playing rock doesn't need fancy techniques or that the Arctic Monkeys have one of the best bassists around. Because all of these are things you said that are completely wrong.
Quote by smb
Which one was that? Was it saying that most bass is just downstrokes? Was it saying that "all the best bassists here" agree with you're dumb opinions? Was it saying the only upstroke in bass is popping? Maybe it was saying that playing rock doesn't need fancy techniques or that the Arctic Monkeys have one of the best bassists around. Because all of these are things you said that are completely wrong.

nice one
1.Was it saying that most bass is just downstrokes?
When a begginer, using a pick asks, yes it mainly is - you want to confuse someone go ahead.

2. Was it saying that "all the best bassists here" agree with you're dumb opinions?
Look at the bass forums, there are an awful lot of people who agree that the best method of playing is fingers, i personally couldn't care less what people do, if they play well fair enough.

3. Was it saying the only upstroke in bass is popping?
I agree that this was wrong, aswell as my statement of fingers being down strokes. that's what i was apologising for.

4. Maybe it was saying that playing rock doesn't need fancy techniques?
a lot of bass in rock songs is just following the root of the chord, of course there acceptions to this.

5. or that the Arctic Monkeys have one of the best bassists around?
in the indie scene i said

6. Because all of these are things you said that are completely wrong.
no, 1 thing i said was completly wrong, and i apologised for saying that, the others is just opinion, and obviously for you too say it was wrong you obviously think a lot of your own opinion, which you accused me of before.

at the end of the day, this was a begginer thread, i was trying to help he/ she out i didn't ask for a lecture nor try to give one.
and i don't consider myself the bass master, as you may, so i can get things wrong, for me music is fun, jsut because i'm not anyway near %100 correct on theory i apologise again.
maybe you should jsut learn to take your head out of your own back side and read the title: "new to bass ..." not "give me a lecture"
thanks, not bother replying 'cos i won't read it.
Quote by smb
Only if you can't play bass

Not true. The Stroke's bassist plays only with downstrokes. He can obviously play.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Not true. The Stroke's bassist plays only with downstrokes. He can obviously play.

Thank you, and he uses a pick which supportes my arguement.
And he too is a tralented player.
I'm not done buddy.

Quote by arcticmonkey

Complete bull****. The pick vs. finger threads are loads of ****. Its a complete waste of time. It is NOT talentless. It takes timing and accuracy.

I play with both fingers, and picks. I find uses for both. I don't feel one is better than the other.

Quote by Basser121503
If you think the Artic Monkeys bass player is the best in the scene right now you need to find and listen to Knights of Cydonia, Hysteria, and Hyper Music all by Muse. Chris can tear that guy apart especailly with his little tapping bit in Knights. I play alot of pop-punk and I don't just use downstrokes, I alternate pick. In fact I hardly ever use just downstrokes. And wouldn't finger picking be more upstrokes since your pulling the strings towards you.

You, my friend, have an especially tough time understanding the idea of "opinions".

Fingerpicking has nothing to do with downstrokes OR upstrokes, unless you are using the "in-out" techinique. Quit arguing over that.

And, I like Mike Dirnt's bass work on American Idiot, and I think he has mastered his bass. Are you going to flame me because Matt Freeman plays more fancy riffs?

You better not.

Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at May 16, 2006,
yes, however as i suggested the majority of bassists go for the fingers approach.
i use a pick sometimes, it's not a crime, it's how most people learn, that's why i pressumed in the first place.
Quote by arcticmonkey
i won't read it.

You just did. But anyway, I think the guy's original question has been answered.
Arctic^That is because most bass players are looking for a different tone. There is nothing wrong with it. If they want to use their fingers, they can. But jazz bass doesn't call for sharp and bright picking technique, and so most jazz players take the wamer technique and play fingerstyle.

Of COURSE its not a crime. I dont understand why people think that.

i reply to someone else's, not yours.
and if you count this it was off topic.
and this is getting really childish so i'd appreciate it if we could stop.
thanks.
Page 1 of 2