Well, i've been playing the guitar 4 around a year now, and hav done so without knowing all the notes on the fretboard. I mean i can figure out the notes by starting from the open string notes and counting by semitones, but i cant just look at the frets and tell. Of course, i know the notes of 1st, 5th and 6th strings, coz the root notes of the E- and A-based barre chords are in them. But i dont know the notes in the other strings. I've tried memorizing them, but that doesn't help. So evry1, cud u please tell me how u came 2 knowing all the notes of the fretboard?

Thanx
learn the 1st 4 frets first and play simple songs tha use those frets and say the notes names as u play them and then continue on
LIVELOVEROCKDIE
i cant do that either but when i play i can all ways tell where i need to go i can just hear it in my head. i know the pitch of most notes so if i hit a E note and i have to jump up to G#/Ab i know its 4 simi tones away
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Just take it slowly. Don't rush into it. Really take your time. Remember that there is a whole tone (2 frets) between every note except E and F, and B and C.

-DS
@chewy: thanx, i'll try 2 do as u told.

@the_white_bunny: Thats wat i've done tillnow, and i can hear them notes in my had 2. It just helps, when ur analyzing and transcribing ur own or others' music, 2 know he note names. And sometimes, learning note-names also may help if u've run out of ideas while say jamming, and u can use a bit of theory mechanically 2 get a good melody. Dats just my speculation, though.

@skyb: U mean u like remembered the notes of each of the scale while practising, and in time got 2 know all the notes. Means u practiced all the positions of the scales right?

@Drop Subject: Hmm.. guess its gonna tak along time . And i do know intervals u know (not 2 sound rude or anything), just cant start counting intervals while playing notes (gonna take a helluva time)
There is actually a few ways you can do this. One way, using eight notes. Learn the eights of your open strings and then you can go from there. Move up a fret and do the eight of that and so on. Also, you know that little tuning trick that you do? The one where you go to the 5th fret and compare the tone of the proceeding string. Well, when you do that on the E string to get it in tune with the A string or vise versa, you are on the A when you are on the 5th fret of the E string. The same goes with the rest, except for when you drop down to the 4th fret on the G string. Then the 4th fret is a B for the G string.
learn how root notes are related to each other with respect to the fretboard, coz once you memorize these positions, everythingll be easier, coz these positions are "moveable"(will adjust to the root note)...
Well I play the piano, and it took me 3 minutes to learn all the notes on the keyboard.
I play the cello, it took me 5 minutes to find out all the notes on the fingerboard.
I play the guitar, I have been playing for 6 months+ and I still don't know the notes on the fretboard.

But I swear, once I know the whole damn fretboard, I can improvise really well and play any scale you name.

Garn.
Well, tell me about it. I play the keyboard. I just had 2 see the pattern of 2 and 3 black keys, when i first started playing, and evrything fell into place.
But there's nothing like it in guitar
But there's 1 advantage i guitar which we keyboardists dont hav: if a guitarist knows a pattern of a scale, he can use it 4 ne scale (movable patterns).
In other words, guitarists hav less problems transposing scales, while keyboard players hav less problems knowing the keyboard. Guess evrything has its pros and cons

Anyway, i just discovered this thing, which maybe evry1 except me knew till now. The circle of fifths lie very close in the strings:
St1 Frt1- F
St2 Ft1- C
St3 Frt0- G
St4 Frt0- D
St5 Frt0- A
St6 Frt0 - E

u dont have to learn all the notes. u have to learn when to skip one and when to skip two in a scale.
scale patterns, how to find ur way back to a safe area to solo, and knowing when u hit an "off note," are the important things.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
When I'm improvising (if you can call it that, being as I suck so much) if I hit an off-note, I'll just quickly slide to the next note or something. Anyways, I've been playing for about 2 years now and a little while ago I took the time to learn the notes on the D string (I'm in drop D) so now I can look at the D string and know where all the notes are (I only memorized the "full notes"..? (A, B, C, D.. etc) so I just have to move up or down one to get a sharp or flat) Everyone has their own method for everything involving guitar. Find what works best for you.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
I dunno why ppl r so against learning the fretboard. Is learning the scale patterns thoughout the fretboard easier?
Personally, i like 2 "know what i play". And it would also help if like i find a cool new chord and wanna know what it is.

Neway, is knowing the scale patterns all over the fretboard easy?
Quote by apakhira
I dunno why ppl r so against learning the fretboard. Is learning the scale patterns thoughout the fretboard easier?
Personally, i like 2 "know what i play". And it would also help if like i find a cool new chord and wanna know what it is.

Neway, is knowing the scale patterns all over the fretboard easy?

Knowing scale patterns and being able to shift them up and down the fretboard is easy.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind