I've got an sg standard right now, but I'm looking for a guitar with a more metal sound to it just to jam around with some guys and maybe make a little band with them. I was thinking about maybe a dean, but I'm wondering, is there a reason they don't cost alot. Like are they not worth buying?

I just need a second guitar that would be good for metal, in the $500 - $900 range if possible. I've only talked to one person so far about a dean and he said they were crap, but I'm pretty sure people on here know way more. I've got a line 6 spider 30 watt amp right now, but I'll also be looking for something new in that area as well. Along with a pedal.

How do you guys feel about the dean vx( i believe its called)?

I play more of a 80's metal and classic rock style. The band will end up being more towards that classic metal sound, since the guy I play with sounds like a mix between metallica and pantera. He taught himself to play by learning their stuff.

Anyone help would be great...
Dean are pretty veristille machines, but have a number of quite good guitars. Not the best, but still at a high standard with a number of their guitars. If you want something more specific, I'd go for a Jackson. That would go pretty well if your sound.
Quote by Craigo
Dean are pretty veristille machines, but have a number of quite good guitars. Not the best, but still at a high standard with a number of their guitars. If you want something more specific, I'd go for a Jackson. That would go pretty well if your sound.

Which model of jackson should I try out? I''ll most likely be heading to a local guitar store later today to try some things out.
^MG series are good.

Deans... VX and ZX are good guitars, I'd go for a Select series if you can afford one though.
Quote by Danno13
^MG series are good.

Deans... VX and ZX are good guitars, I'd go for a Select series if you can afford one though.

How much is the select series? My computer is broken so it's hard for me to check the prices of things because I can't get into many sites.

I've got about $2500 right now but I don't want to spend more then $1500 hundred. And I need a new amp to go along with my spider and a pedal or two.
For $1500, you can EASILY get a great amp and great guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Ok, I was wrong. The Selects are about $800. But the 79 and Standard series run for around $500, and the ML Noir is $400.
Quote by Danno13
Ok, I was wrong. The Selects are about $800. But the 79 and Standard series run for around $500, and the ML Noir is $400.

Alright, cool. Thanks.